We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Designing a die for drinking straw extrusion

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alex Klara 1 year ago.

Keenan keenanspann

Designing a die for drinking straw extrusion

15/12/2019 at 18:11

Hey guys,I am new to all this and I was wondering if someone has managed to design a die to extrude drinking straws or tubes through? If you have, will you be willing to share to design?

5 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
19/12/2019 at 02:37

Countries are trying to ban plastic drinking straws. The last thing anyone needs is a new source of plastic straws entering the environment.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/environment-and-conservation/2018/07/brief-history-how-plastic-straws-took-over-world

Attachments:
new
22/12/2019 at 03:44

plastic straw bans are absolutely ridiculous and do almost nothing to help the environment.

new
22/12/2019 at 03:50

A die with a pin in the center will create hollow tubing though.https://www.plasticextrusiontech.net/resources/plastic-extrusion-technologies-tubing-extrusions/ Just make the dimensions to create a straw the size and thickness you want.

dedicated
22/12/2019 at 13:41

@alexklara If you think that plastic bans are ridiculous, this is your opinion. In Europe however no more plastic straws are sold from 2020. I personally think that straws are anyway the most useless invention humans ever made.
On the other hand, in most of developped countries around the globe, there are laws which regulate anything which is in touch with food or beverages. I doubt that a garage workshop will ever have a label to produce straws from recycled plastics.

new
22/12/2019 at 17:12

It’s my opinion as well as backed by data. I so agree that there straws are basically useless. The statement, “The last thing anyone needs is a new source of plastic straws entering the environment.” definitely exaggerates the issue. I think ultimately we need to learn to use plastics more sustainably rather than ban anything.

Btw I’m a senior plastics engineering student minoring in sustainability if you’d want more information on my “opinions”

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪