We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Finished building?

• This topic has 54 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Gena.
Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Finished building?

15/09/2016 at 21:52

AWESOME!

1 – Send us a picture
It would be really great if you could share a few pictures of the things you made here in the community.This is SUPER valuable feedback for us and probably an inspiration for others

*As an inspiration you can have a look at @mattia-io post on his Hacked Extrusion Machine. We love long and detailed articles like that one but we’re generally very happy to see even shorter version with a few images, reflection and considerations.

2 – Join the Precious Plastic map
We started map.preciousplastic.com to gather all worldwide development. Add yourself so others can find you!

3 – Show off
Use hashtag #preciousplastic to share your updates on social media, we love to see this!

3 – Sell on the bazar
Sell you products, machine parts or entire machines on our online bazar. Start your little business around plastic recycling 🙂 visit bazar.preciousplastic.com

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

54 replies
12 subscribers
5 saved
6 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Finished building?

helper
12/11/2016 at 18:05

Gruppo lame ✅

Attachments:

helper
19/12/2016 at 09:02

Trituratore ✅

Attachments:

helper
19/02/2017 at 04:54

Hello, we finished building the extrusion machine in Brasil!

Our website is: megatec.center

Thank You

Andrade

Attachments:

starter
21/04/2017 at 04:59

@davehakkens

I am almost completely built but the shredding axe is all thats left, however I am having difficulty getting the total surface area of stainless steel needed. Do you have a number for the square millimeters(or inches, since I am in Canada and we get majority of materials from US) for stainless? I’ve made some of my own modifications as well to utilize mobility more (like a caster roller attachment) and to utilize our Single Phase voltage over here (rotary phase converters)

warrior
21/04/2017 at 10:16

hi @arcturusfire13 we haven’t got that overview surface sheet. Yet. Maybe someone else here i the forums? Make sure to share your modification here in the forums, would love to see it!

starter
28/05/2017 at 03:38

I build a plastic grinder of a cross cut shredder it’s doing fine but I try to figure how to mack it grind for smaller pieces for the next machine I build the extruder for 3d printer

starter
25/10/2017 at 22:10

Almost ready

Attachments:

warrior
26/10/2017 at 00:40

is that a double axe shredder @swets? Looking forward to see that one running 😎

helper
19/11/2017 at 07:16

I was going to ask why there wasn’t one of these out yet!
Good to see.

helper
24/11/2017 at 17:52

Hello, we made modifications and redesigned the extruder.
We also ordered a industrial screw from China so the output of the machine is improved.

Here are some pics.

Next step is to make the machine more compact, so we are going to replace the motor and worm gear by smaller motor with same torque from China.

The price for this machine is US$2.000,00

Best Regards to all

Attachments:

helper
25/11/2017 at 04:56

For a finer grind just replace the mesh screen under the grinder with one with smaller holes in the size you need

helper
27/11/2017 at 11:05

@andrade is the modifications you made available to the public anywhere? this looks amazing

helper
27/11/2017 at 15:33

Hello Willyk, thank you for your nice comment.

We are still testing the machine and waiting for new (smaller) motor;

We will redesign the bodywork (the external laser cut metal sheets that give the machine its exterior look) because it is too heavy.

We are also working in a way to make barrel replacement easier because
it is not recommended to use different kids of plastic with the same barrel.

Once we have all modifications done we will let you know.

If the design becomes good enough we can make it available for public use.

Best Regards

Andrade

Attachments:

helper
10/12/2017 at 05:40

Hi all,

We have completed our Shredder/ Extruder unit after 2 years of testing and refining. Currently in the Pacific islands demonstrating the unit. Building our first 5 machines to be sent out by April, then the next 5 over 6-12 months. Happy to answer any questions, we aim to reach the remote and under-developed islands where waste management is a major issue.

Attachments:

warrior
10/12/2017 at 13:05

Looks very nice. Is it a shredder on one end and an extruder on the other, one motor in the centre?

starter
05/01/2018 at 16:25

Hi all,

I’m not a machine builder, still learning though. I’m an environmental engineer and I’m very interested to utilise precious plastic machines to tackle plastic waste problems, especially in remote areas where plastic recycling is not economically viable. I collaborate with Ramdhan and we created shredder and injection then we put it in Simeulue Island, Aceh, Indonesia. By the end of 2017 we also sent shredder and compression to Pomalaa, South East Sulawesi (I haven’t take the pic yet). Here are pics of the machines we built for Simeulue.

Attachments:

starter
30/01/2018 at 20:25

Hello 🙂

This is great! We live in the Caribbean , here on Andros Island the amount of plastic is insane. We want to do a start up recycling business here. There is no recycling of any form here!

Awesome that you are taking initiative and able to do this!!

Please let me know if you are interested in The Bahamas!

helper
08/02/2018 at 14:09

Switzerland is the game.

Two year ago i order the first lazer cut for shredder. With a lot of up and down, studies, arm broken etc… Today shredder still doesn’t work but i’m close to ! (It’s been 18 month i have this idea in my mind… Vidéo comming soon for the problem, i’m sur the solution will come from this forum !!!

But… i found a industrial shredder in a farm and i swapped it for an old motorcycle that i had.

Then i start to build the extrusion and after buying 2 mecanical motor really heavy i saw a post with an electric motor. I make a call at the distributor of Makita
for the after sales service to find out if they had it in a bin. Bingo they have one motor like i need and… Big suprise it’s a shredder for wood (Makita ud2500). It’s not over yet but some news next week if it’s work. (cost for a new one is 250 euro) and i have the PDF for electric shema. Feel free to ask if you need.

Winter is comming and like a lot of people here, it’s really cold in the workshop. So i strated to build injection.

Result in the topic Share your creation.

Totaly cost is not done and i leave in a fucking country where all is really expensive. Try to find the stuff in trash the most that i can.

Cheers

Attachments:

warrior
18/02/2018 at 14:53

Here is my shredder. It’s my own design, not to the PP drawings. I actually finished it over a year ago, but it took me this long to get round to making the video!

dedicated
18/02/2018 at 19:00

@Andyn Very very nice compact shredder and great video, I think with a 550w motor the shredder would never stop, is the motor size MEC 71? In this case the size and weight of 550w motor will be the same. I think this is the correct way to make possible sell and ship all over the world or at least in Europe.

warrior
18/02/2018 at 19:52

Yes it’s a 71 frame size. The 550W motor from this range is actually an 80 frame, but I had to make an adaptor plate to fit the motor to the gearbox, so I could have chosen any motor. The gearbox originally had a 24vdc motor, I’m not sure how much torque it can handle (I got it for free), it seems quite meaty, but 550W might be pushing it. In normal use it hardly ever jams, the demonstration was mainly for the video. Originally I had a 1/4HP(185W) motor fitted which was not quite enough and would jam frequently, so I doubled the power.

helper
18/02/2018 at 22:12

Nice work!

dedicated
18/02/2018 at 23:15

@Andy I have found 550w motor with frame 71, I can buy it for a good price, included gear reductor and other parts I need, like double output shaft and electric panel included, so it will be easier building the shredder, we must find the way to allow people to build the shredder without technical skills.

dedicated
19/02/2018 at 11:29

I would love to see the double-axe design of andyn make it to the next version of the PP-Shredder. Very goog job. I still beleive though that the motor is too weak. Profressional small size shredders (feed-port-dimension 110mm x 180mm, so slightly bigger than the PP-Shredder) are powered with a 2.2kw motor. I would be mad if i put all that effort in building a shredder, which clogs with milkbottles. But then, the revverse-procedure is very intelligent.

warrior
19/02/2018 at 13:46

I actually think Dave’s V2.0 shredder is a very good balance of simplicity and performance, which is what you want for an open source anybody-can-build-it design. Of course you can always make improvements, but a lot of them are down to personal taste and wouldn’t suit everybody.

I built my shredder just to suit my own needs, not to propose it as a better version PP shredder. I think it would be less suitable as it’s more technical and contains some custom components that the average person would not be able to make/buy. Some of the ideas I’ve used people might like to incorporate into their own machines as add-ons to the basic design. I think the best way is to take something simple and adapt it to suit yourself using what resources you have available.

starter
19/02/2018 at 23:46

hi all. last week we started building the precious plastic machines (shredder, extrusion and injection molder) with a dozen art and design students. the injection molder is now working, the shredder and extrusion machines should be done next week. you can see our current status at: http://www.instagram.com/burg_halle or follow us at http://www.burg-halle.de/make for the next steps… best from germany! aart & team

Attachments:

starter
17/03/2018 at 19:34

Hi dave, thanks for this big project.
I wanted to ask something about compression:
Why does the compression process take so long. Is that because oven heats up slowly or what?

hero
14/04/2018 at 07:45

@faridahmadsofizada part of it is because the oven has to be preset to the right melting point temperature. If you overheat the oven, plastic will melt faster and will also burn producing toxic gases.

Also, you want to take your time to make sure the plastic flows to every corner of your mould.

starter
18/04/2018 at 11:21

Hi!

I built a shredder in International School of the Hague. It took me two years. The box and framework are not steel though, because we don’t have any equipment to work with metal in school. But it works! (Apart from 3mm thick acrylic, the screws which hold side blades are bent after shredding) Is there anyway to prevent the screws from bending?

Attachments:

hero
19/04/2018 at 21:16

@simeng do you mean that the shredder’s enclosure is not made out of steel? if that’s true then I don’t think there’s much you can do to solve your bending problem. The frame is meant to absorb a great amount of the shredding torque so wood or other non-ferric materials will hardly resist the forces generated when shredding

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪