We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Hello from Wisconsin – Gasification idea.

Tagged: ,

Henry Armetta harmetta

Hello from Wisconsin – Gasification idea.

28/12/2016 at 15:52

I really like your video and posted it on Facebook. I had a difficult time finding
Preciousplastic.com on the introductory video. You need clear links to who you are in your videos, such as you do with forums and blueprints, stating Preciousplastic.com
Plastic recycling is not done as much as we think, as the places that will take old plastic come and go.
My thought is shred some of the used plastic, especially when the plastic is not suitable for making products (such as contaminated with food) and use it as home heating fuel in a gasification unit, or to produce energy.
A gasification unit would be a nice addition to your group of machines.
The complete combustion through Gasification removes the otherwise toxic gases, plus utilizes every BTU in the materials consumed.

3 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes
hero
29/12/2016 at 02:17

Welcome to Precious Plastic @harmetta, I hope you’re having a good time here at the Precious Plastic community.
Personally, I dislike the idea of burning plastic, I rather advising people to avoid purchasing products that come with plastic containers and reuse their plastic, but I also know that it will take a long time before we live in a world without plastic, so your idea is indeed worthy of consideration.

Organic matter gasifiers are not hard to make, but when it comes to plastic waste is not a small feat. However, instead of a gasifier, you could build a DIY Diesel distillery and convert all that plastic waste into fuel very easily and cheap.

More info here: http://www.energeticforum.com/renewable-energy/7040-how-turn-plastic-waste-into-diesel-fuel-cheaply.html

new
29/12/2016 at 05:22

Thank-you for the link for making plastic into diesel fuel. I will review it with interest. I too do not like burning plastic for fuel, but some plastics just don’t recycle well – due to the inability to determine exactly what the plastic is, it has been comingled with other different plastics, or the plastic is contaminated (as you pointed out in your earlier videos and visits to various facilities).
Burning plastic for fuel in a gasifier, or converting it to diesel, should be a last resort. It is better than dumping it in a landfill or worse.
A continuum that utilizes as much plastic as possible to make new products is the best (and first) solutions, with the balance of the plastics that are unsuitable to be made into new products, being used to produce heat or power contributing to making the other useable products [with the better plastics you recycle].
In this way everything is more completely utilized, and the operation is more self sustaining or profitable, minimizing waste and production expense.

new
29/12/2016 at 07:40

Additional thoughts on converting plastic to Diesel fuel. I looked at this website, and a few other similar ones.
The type of plastic is also important, and needs to be known prior to conversion of the plastics to diesel. This was one of the problems utilizing the unknown plastics in making new products I was trying to solve.
They web author states: ”Also the type of plastic is important, you can use only plastics that have pure hydrocarbons in them and nothing else, such as polyethylene and polypropylene. PVC should not be used as it contains large amounts of chlorine that is very toxic and would corrode the metals in your reactor. Also PET bottles are no good as they contain additional oxygen and we need the process to be in non oxygen environment. So only use plastics that contain only carbon and hydrogen.”
This means the unknown plastics are not a good raw material for conversion to diesel fuel either.
The other issue I see is comfort level and required knowledge.
The processes described in making diesel fuels has always made me leary, and requires a higher degree of specific knowledge that I do not have, and am not likely to aquire.
Your approach is to keep it relatively simple, especially in the using the machines you create stage. I like that.
Heating the plastic and its resulting fuels to between 250 degrees Celsius and 400 degrees Celsius is beyond my comfort level, as is working with the 3 phase electric needed by this process. I don’t have the safety skills to do these things, and it is not something I can hire out, as it is part of the everyday operations.
Although I believe it CAN be accomplished, I do not think the process described should be tried by a novice.
The Gasification units (at least for organic matûerials) can have the expertise needed built into the machine, so the operation is simple and foolproof. Some commercially built outside home heating Gasification units are even UL approved.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪