We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Provide manual shredder energy from a bicycle ?

philgib philgib

Provide manual shredder energy from a bicycle ?

01/12/2016 at 09:07

Hey Dave,

I have more faith in human kind when I stumble on people like you. I am really glad I found your videos on Youtube.

I had a thought or two…

What about making the shredder more accessible to poor people, usually the places where there is way more plastic available….

1- What about swapping the shredder electric motor for a bicycle, using a multiplied bracket ? Poor people without electricity could make a home business of simply shredding plastic from a bicycle then sell shredded plastic bags to other business entities.

2- What about a large wheel, like a cargo boat captain wheel, so that people could make the shredder work from just rotating that wheel with their hands ?

Poor people could not only shred plastic, but also wood…

Just for fun, found on thingiverse…
http://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/2b/3b/ac/ca/e8/2782409aa18555e1e3f3fa9531259fea_preview_featured.jpg

Cheers

7 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes
hero
01/12/2016 at 23:31

Welcome to Precious Plastic @philgib
Those ideas are absolutely feasible, in fact, @simonm already did it and it worked just fine: http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/my-shredder-construction-log/

Take a look at his post, is full of interesting info 😉

helper
07/12/2016 at 03:47

Dave has a video floating around somewhere of some versions of the machines he built for an exhibit. To make them safe they are covered in plexiglass and the shredder and injector use a turnstile-esque crank. I looked around but couldn’t dig it up.

starter
16/03/2017 at 13:00

Interested in this idea!

warrior
27/03/2017 at 16:39

@philgib I will be working on this as well the upcoming months!
Happy about every exchange! 🙂

helper
29/03/2017 at 22:12

modificated bike

Attachments:
helper
29/03/2017 at 22:13

Attachments:
helper
29/03/2017 at 22:14

When I read your topic I remember some interesting machines, which I‘ve seen in Kenya (2014). Fortunately I made some photos:)) We went to the market an I saw this grinding stone application in front of a butcher’s shop:) Pretty awesome because you can even ride it like a normale bicycle.
Also the second picture is very interesting. It looks more solid and is also made out of bike parts.

I think it’s possible to use these systems to shred plastic. I like the idea to use the shredder without electricity; especially a shredder which is easy to move. So you can shred the plastic where you find it. In fact it could be a lot easyier to transport the cranulated plastic. I personally think about a shredder fixed on a cargo bike.

Greetings
Carl

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪