We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Molds made out of wood ?

Tagged: , , ,

Vincent v-d-s

Molds made out of wood ?

06/01/2020 at 20:29

Hi there !

I’m brand new here, and first of all, I’d like to convey to all of you my warm greetings and to express my admiration for your work.

My name is Vincent, I’m a designer and I’d like to experiment with recycled plastic.

Since it’s easier and cheaper to use wood than metal with my fablab’s CNC router, I’d like to know if it’s possible to inject melted plastic into wooden molds. The ignition temperature of wood is between 250 and 300°C. And most of the plastics fusion points (correct me if I’m wrong) are below these temperatures, so theoretically it could work, no ?

I thank you in advance for your replies.

Best Regards

9 replies
4 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes
starter
06/01/2020 at 21:46

Hi there !

There are some experiments with injection and wood moulds here: http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/portable-desktop-injection-machine/

Seeing those tests, I’d say using strong wood and foil tape should work reasonably well. I’ve never tested injection but here’s a write-up about my experiments with MDF wood and compression (it’s in french) : https://wiki.lghs.be/projets:recylab:compression:tuile-hexagone

starter
06/01/2020 at 22:01

Thanks Dr Skullster !

Well… seams to work ! the tape being a plus though…
Now I’m really looking forward to try this.

Thanks again !

hero
06/01/2020 at 22:01

@v-d-s
You will have a pretty bad time trying to take your parts out of the wood mold without destroying the parts, or the mold.
You could try curing the wood with oil, or applying a layer of epoxy resin, but molten plastic might end up sticking to the resin or the quality could be affected by the oil in the wood.

starter
06/01/2020 at 22:14

Thanks Olivier

Yeap…You have an excellent point.

Maybe I’ll find something useful among one of these:

https://www.castrocompositesshop.com/gb/11-release-agents-sealers

Thanks again

starter
07/01/2020 at 23:21

Hell Yeah !

V4 is a massive breakthrough ! How could I’ve missed it out !?!?? Sorry about that…

I’ve browsed different sections like “how to” and “Academy” and it seems like I gonna have to dive into metal working. Since I’m more a 3d modeling guy I always let the digital fabrication machines do the job for me, but I guess it’s time I’ll get my hands dirty !

Nevertheless I’d better find a lab in my neighborhood to help me master those techniques maybe @idlv
I think I’m gonna buy cnc router bits for metal, anyhow, and find some stock material in scrap yards just as you’ve suggested (I already have a side grinder 😉 )

Anyway I really do thank you, Jamy, for your advises.

Kind Regards

starter
08/01/2020 at 04:22

v-d-s – what about using aluminum cut on your shop’s CNC?  Many hobbiest level CNC routers can handle aluminum, as long as you use the correct feeds & speeds and don’t overload your machine trying to go too aggressive..

starter
09/01/2020 at 13:16

Hi Chaster, and thanks for your note !

Yes I think that’s what I’m gonna do. I just wanted to avoid the extra cost of stock material for the testing and prototyping phases. That’s why I was wondering if it was possible to make the molds out of wood.

Thanks again

Kind Regards

starter
10/01/2020 at 08:16

Here’s an idea….  What about using the CNC to create wood female mold for your object, then use concrete/cement to form a male mold using the wood female mold.  Then use the concrete male mold to do your injection molding?

starter
10/01/2020 at 22:38

Hi Chaster,
Yes it’s doable.

Only, this has to be a super duper smooth, bubble-less, concrete. And it has to have holes for the threaded rods that are going to mate the two parts of the mold together.

But yes, it’s a nice idea, thanks !
Kind Regards

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪