We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Ocean Plastic Recycling

victoria vicky-lou

Ocean Plastic Recycling

09/05/2017 at 10:06

Hello Thinkers, Makers, World Changers!

My name is Victoria, from Germany, currently living in Vietnam. My life here is beautiful – if it wasn’t for the extreme levels of plastic pollution at the beach and in the ocean. That’s why I am using my bachelor thesis in textile- and clothing management to find ways to recycle plastic from the beach into fashionable garment accessories.

So, I now proudly call 10kg of plastic trash from the beach my own. The mix is extremely heterogeneous, from fishing nets to drinking cups, toys, packaging, even pieces of furniture.

Since my studies are fashion-related, the outcome must be anything related to clothing. I was thinking buttons, zipper pullers, maybe hang tags from recycled plastic. I want to try Polyethylene and Polypropylene, since one expert told me that these materials even work as a recycling material if they are not a hundred percent pure.

1. I am desperately looking for someone to help me shredding the material. Is there anyone willing to maybe rent out their shredder? I’ve asked companies with industrial shredding systems, but they all told me that their machines don’t work with small quantities. (I am now cutting everything by hand, which is extremely work intensive). Preferably in Germany or the Netherlands.

2. I am so desperate, that I’m thinking about using a garden shredder or a similar machine to shred the plastic. I’m quite skeptical though. Thoughts?

3. In case the separation doesn’t work that well: Any experiences with mixing plastics? I read that there will be no chemical bonding between different materials.

4. What do you think about “filling” material.. like, some natural polymer that would “glue” everything together. Suggestions?

I will take all the plastic with me to Wuppertal, Germany. Flying home on 16th of May to finish my degree. It would be amazing to find like-minded people in the area.

0 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Recent Replies

• Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪