We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Precious Plastic Version 4? 😮

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Precious Plastic Version 4? 😮

30/01/2018 at 22:19

You might have been aware that we launched Precious Plastic Version 3 a few months back. Maybe. We made many new things, introduced the bazar, container workspace, a series of art objects, a map for collaboration, more techniques and a way for the community to share their own tutorial videos. Quite a lot. Our main focus for this version was on expanding the platform and making it easier for people to collaborate.

This period is really fun for us. Seeing what the community, you guys do with the information. Always exciting to see if its used the way we intended. But besides observing we also gather feedback, comments, posts, topics we see or improvements we could do. And I can’t help myself, but slowly I think about what a V4 would look like.

So thats where this topic is for. To share your ideas, suggestions,improvements. What would you like Precious Plastic to work on and improve next? Throw it in here! Together we set the course 💪
*Oh and I might look inactive every now and then because i don’t leave a reply but I read all of it. No kidding.

160 replies
57 subscribers
18 saved
22 likes
sort on most likes
starter
09/02/2018 at 00:28

see BYFUSION Makes blocks from the recycled plastic that is washed and shredded

hope it helps

starter
09/02/2018 at 00:34

there is a guy think in the USA,,, could be wrong,,,as i can’t relocate his youtube post…that recycles waste rubber crumbly and product waste from grown products into a Door 8×4 or smaller items on his rescycling press,,which heats up the project and then he closes the top to press it together …

helper
11/02/2018 at 07:05

Maybe a collaboration with Boyan Slat of “The Ocean Cleanup” could be beneficial. Once they start extracting all that plastic from the ocean they hope they’ll be able to recycle it. Maybe this is where the Precious Plastic Community can come in and help out!

https://www.theoceancleanup.com/technology/

new
17/02/2018 at 07:27

I have a suggestion, I really want you to make a 3d printer filament maker. Thanks!

helper
27/02/2018 at 09:23

My suggestions is washing & drying machine.

And what about thermoplast automat: similar to https://youtu.be/zTjbs3Hg2PA

dedicated
27/02/2018 at 10:59

Having other means than a Paypal Business account to sell / to be verified in the bazar. After reading the conditions of use, i cancelled my business-account and took off my item from the bazar.

dedicated
02/03/2018 at 11:49

The forum is very simple and minimalistic but at the same time hard and confusing to navigate. The search button doesn’t work very well, if you’re looking for something in particular, something interesting that you remember seeing a few months ago, it’s hard to find it again.

Every now and then there are very interesting messages that we should find a way to keep track of, it could be just a list of links to make sure we don’t lose them, but something to think for the future would be to have a separate wiki where the best posts, research, or articles get posted. Or a mention of these interesting post on the monthly news? Or improving the search engine?

my feedback 🙂

dedicated
02/03/2018 at 13:33

@copypastestd @davehakkens
I think we could modify a diy coffee roaster to suit our purpose for drying and washing i have made one and its not that hard you can ge materials anywhere

helper
02/03/2018 at 13:50

Nice device, but it will be cool to wash and separate plastic at same time. For example mix of two plastics PET & HDPE, PS & PP etc.

Attachments:
helper
03/03/2018 at 00:17

From using the injector and evaluating making the compression machine, it seems that making parts on these machines is limited due to the time needed to heat up the plastic. It would be nice to create a heated hopper or some sort of heated storage tank/extruder that could be used as the input to the injector and compression machines. Has anyone tried something like this? I guess the risk is that the injector would clog up if the material does not flow well enough. The compression machine might be easier. I’m visualizing using something almost like a large heated caulk gun.

dedicated
04/03/2018 at 23:43

Precious Plastic v4.0 should become impersonal, i.e: regroup all PP’s related content in one and only website preciousplastic.com by moving the PP forums and news from davehakkens.nl to the official website.

After that one might add a wiki, improve the bazar, etc.
Also the preciousplastic.com website created using webflow, can still be designed using wordpress, to ease the migration of the bbpress forum here.

@mattia-io
@davehakkens and the others, what do you think ?

new
08/03/2018 at 03:27

Solar powered options would be great ?
Either solar heating/melting in solar ovens/ concentrators.
And or solar electric/battery – however not sure on the power drain of some of the machines.
Would make a good solution for a fully off-grid mobile workshop.

helper
12/03/2018 at 07:57

Also, as we have dug into more detail about the potential hazards of breathing the fumes from melted plastics, we believe that it is very important to ensure proper ventilation (even being outside isn’t just good enough). I think that should be an important part of the information that Precious Plastic provides so that we make sure that the community that is a part of this project is not breathing toxic fumes.

helper
18/03/2018 at 01:22

@davehakkens

And what about vacuum forming machine?
We could use compressing machine to produce thin sheets, which then could be used for thermoforming.

There is one of examples: https://youtu.be/CQpr1AoAKsk

new
28/03/2018 at 21:02

We need to produce thinks that apply to the basic needs of the people to get the movement very big, like biogas plants or desalting devices. I have described it in detail here http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/a-vision-of-basic-need-products-methane-cycle/ .

helper
29/03/2018 at 09:09

Maybe in Version 4 you could separate the “Community” into it’s own website. We could call the Community site something original to represent a collective of ideas and projects. Maybe “Precious Community” or something to that affect? You can still have your personal “Dave Hakkens” site connected to it, but not as the main focus. The whole point of the community is to solve environmental/social problems in the form of projects together, therefor all focus needs to be on the community, and so should the site that represents it.

I may be wrong in this, but it’s my thoughts on the matter. 🙂

God Speed.

@armbouhali
Hey, looks like we share the same opinion on the matter!

starter
30/03/2018 at 15:22

I feel v4 would benefit from a portable multi function hand held device that can join plastic sheets using a thin heated plate. While also be used as a plastic welder and heat gun. Maybe a frame to fit in the compression machine or build a slightly bigger one for rotational molding. Washing machine. Detailed air extraction unit for microfine particles. Finally a hand held extruder with the hopper attached to the roof and connected with a flexible pipe. This would be awesome from an artistic veiw.

starter
12/04/2018 at 06:19

I think it would be beneficial if you made a shredder design that turns manually rather than a motor because it would be cheaper to build and it wouldn’t use up electricity

helper
14/04/2018 at 13:39

I struggle to Message everyone for group events in my country. I would be great to be able to send a quick message to a group that could be filtered down a little tighter.
I would like to be able to message everyone in New Zealand about meet ups or training or promotions etc so we can drive this harder in NZ.
Being able to narrow the location down would be handy as well like to a city or province

helper
14/04/2018 at 13:46

I think there should be a dedicated section for product ideas. The bazaar is for selling things sure but not everyone is using it. To be truly successful we must have thing s for people to make that will get bought. If those items are essentials to daily living then they will fly out the door and put pressure on the collecting, shredding moulding etc which would be great! I am a practical person and things like mallet heads and knife handles grips and practical. A lovely woven style fruit basket would gather dust.

starter
17/04/2018 at 22:02

i think it would be easier for the beginners if we have a little more description and detail for the pin on the map feature. Like when exactly a pin added to the map ? Then, for now is it still active ? How if that person was inactive for a year or even more ? Or it does to our profile, a little detail of ‘user last log in time’ on the website gonna be helpful.

starter
17/04/2018 at 22:28

And in the future if we have an app for mobile phone, especially for the community and forum . Its gonna be awesome (y)

starter
19/04/2018 at 21:56

Wouldn’t it be nice to 3d print the frame, and only have to buy the motor/rotors/shredder parts? In that way it could be more affordable, and it’s easier to reach the ultimate goal: recycle more plastic. In the Netherlands there are several places with a 3D printer, I know. *Never went there, though.*

starter
20/04/2018 at 12:33

A few thoughts, some of these have already been talked about but ill reiterate.

machines
– A way of washing the plastic (my thoughts are a washing machine with steam injection)
– rotation moulding machine (i think i saw one in an original PP video)
– a more advanced 3d printer filament maker (think lymen etc, see note at bottom)
– more items working on lower voltage 12v or 24v etc
– a redesigned shredder, one that doesn’t require laser cutting

Thinking
– we should look at the sources of plastic waste and how we can reclaim it faster perhaps specializing in a single source. For example I found that 5L oil containers often go straight into the rubbish, it would be simple to go to a few mechanics and just ask them to keep them aside and collect once a week.

-look at making more worthwhile products. Without being rude and i know it is only limited by an individuals imagination, a lot of the products Dave made looked simply useless to myself (this comes down to my personal taste and lifestyle) but spinning tops and vases do nothing or my needs. On the other hand the building materials video was great, maybe more on giving ideas on using them (benches, chairs, fences, bins ect)

-An upscale of some of the processes. This is not only possible but maybe better suited to some places around the world. Currently Australia is going through a major recycling problem due to the change in China that some councils are just sending it straight to landfill as its cheaper.

-The bizzar is great but after scouring it last week i feel its become very commercial. Sort of like people are cashing in on the idea, this also goes for the produced items. Dave talks about cutting down on shipping etc yet i went there and found heaps of spinning tops and soap dishes that i can order to ship to the other side of the world.

Note on 3d filament
I feel this would be great for the world. Think of the huge amount of materials being produced just to get wasted when a print fails, the item is thrown away or in my case the prototype needs changing. We can recycle a large amount of plastic, keep costs down for 3d printing, get recycling straight into peoples houses.

starter
20/04/2018 at 20:26

I think having a way to organize all the posts in the forums by country or at least filter by country would be useful. Since I’m in the US and it seems most of the active users are in Europe it’d be nice to be able to get in touch with people in ones own country. Also maybe a thread dedicated solely to the uses of recycled plastic. There are tons of great ideas but most of them are broad. I think if people saw ideas and suggestions of things to make that could replace everyday items. It’s kind of like Dave’s video about stop printing random crap with 3D printers. To really make an impact there should be a push for practical applications rather than just making plastic pots, soap dishes etc.

helper
21/04/2018 at 11:19

Hi!

How about electronic waste?
How about paper?
How about food waste?
How about metal waste?

How about lower to electronic energy cosumption with changing all screen to darker style?
Dark Screens World Wide

How about collaboration with litterati, to streamline the plastic to reusage?
https://map.litterati.org/globalmap

Making a device or app for a phone to help determine the plastic’s type?

How about a fund raising for full PP kit to underdeveloped regions?

new
23/04/2018 at 01:45

Absolutely. That’s brilliant.

starter
27/04/2018 at 10:53

Hi there,

I am currently discovering this amazing community, and am impressed and really glad about all the work done!

For precious plastic, I think for V4, you should pursue in the direction of facilitating each and every step of the process.

I will begin by the end of the process to illustrate my word : Designed products.

These are the motors that will pull (or not) the economic rope. These, if they are effectively bought, will make the difference and multiply the installations of new shops. You have to make recycled plastic look sexy. The Biggest effort for me has to be put in sexy design, intelligent and usefull products. You have to find a way to have more designers helping with this challenge. For instance by harvesting funds to lanuch a big design contest ?

Then you have to facilitate the job of the ones willing to install a shop. Tools to facilitate communication, to launch a crowdfunding maybe, or to find public support from the city for instance. What I call the barrier to entry has to be as small as possible. Congrats to Siemen and his idea to facilitate Business Models here !

So, for me, the next 2 big steps for you are more improvements in design and communication.

Keep going !!

starter
29/04/2018 at 18:16

Hi All. I would like to see a sign-in button/ icon at the top of the page. I feel like I have to dig around in order to sign in. I tried to download the packet to get started, but it would not work. I am on an Apple IOS platform, and for some reason Safari would not except the file. 😞 I am very anxious to get started with a PP project!!
I would also like to see more pedal powered machines. Example, the shredder, extruder. vM Designs on Facebook has a machine that is a bicycle shredder/ extruder combo. However I boycott Facebook. If anyone can snag those designs (they are free source), and put them on precious plastic, that would be great!!! There is a video of how this combo works on YouTube. Type in “news recycling bicycle,” and the video should come up.

starter
01/05/2018 at 06:49

Hey Dave (and fellow people of the community),

I’ve been thinking a lot about this project. And your videos are very fun and inspiring to watch. I feel like I’ve learned a ton from you already. So, thanks for that. Anywhos, I’m wondering if there is any way to make the project more mobile and accessible to everyone. I’m envisioning a fleet of mini vans or trucks that run on an uber/lyft/like app service. Users would be educated about recycling, sort materials properly and then incentivized when they would call for a recycling pickup. When they’re ready for a pickup, they simply make a request on the app and the vans of the precious plastic fleet would show up to people’s offices or homes and shred plastic on the spot. Then they’d sell it off to companies who need recycled plastic and wah-lah, you’ve got a sustainable business model. Just wanted to throw it out there. It’s a rough idea. But I figured it was worth sharing with you. I think one of the biggest problems is that there’s still a major gap of understanding on how and what to recycle properly. And if you give people an incentive to do something, that always seems to help.

Please let me know what you think.

– Johnny Michael

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪