We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Recycled Plastic – Health & Safety concern

Tagged: 

dave davedavedave1265

Recycled Plastic – Health & Safety concern

04/12/2017 at 22:39

Hi,

I am concerned about the remolding of plastics and the health issues that could arise when re-shaping.

Has anyone come across any issues? (e.g Making food bowls or even handling remolded plastics)

Adverse Health Effects of Plastics

I would appreciate any resources or insights…

-Dave (Melbourne)

2 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes
starter
05/12/2017 at 09:31

Dont have any resources to share, but I guess it all starts at simply sorting your plastics in the first place. BPA Free highest food grade plastic goes for food. The rest for flower pots, ropes and other randomness. A well ventilated space is always a must in my books. Plastic mostly releases chemicals when change of temperature occurs so good air flow or exhaust should cover that. If my knowledge is correct BPS free should not be releasing any harmful chemicals – thus the food grade – so that makes things easier. If making anything for kids, fashion (like recycled plastic shoes etc – things that touch skin – not stuff like belts) and any other personal care – makeup containers, cream and soap bottles etc I’d also go for food grade BPA free.

helper
05/12/2017 at 16:07

if you are planning to use recycled plastics to turn them into products that will be in contact with (especially hot) foods, you will need to research about different plastic grade numbers and which items you should look out for to use or not use. Sterilising the shredded plastic will be vital since once it is heated and moulded, you are essentially locking in dirt.
keep researching into plastic toxicities to humans and what makes a food safe plastic.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪