We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Recycling plastics without electricity??

John johnbusch

Recycling plastics without electricity??

30/03/2016 at 19:52

Has anyone seen or developed manual (non-electric) methods for recycling plastics? I envision a bicycle-powered shredder, sun powered melting… I was inspired by a recent trip to Haiti where there is abundant waste plastic, unreliable electricity, and plenty of idle labor. If you could make something worth as little as $1 USD in one hour’s time, it would be worthwhile. Any ideas?

JB

7 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
01/04/2016 at 21:10

definitely interesting and something we wish to pursue!
We made a prototype for a powered shredder a while ago. Works but not really for big productions. Unless you are an athlete

starter
20/04/2016 at 17:03

Hi Dave, Hi John,

I would love to see maybe a sketch of the Bicycle powered Shredder…
If you somehow didn’t use the handle but maybe a way to have seat where you could pedal???

I am looking forward to start building/creating my own spinoff from the mashines using mostly ols bicycles (for the frames as well, since I cannot weld yet…) I will have to keep thinking about that…
If oyu have sketches or ideas you would share –great!
the “rough draft” of the handpowered machine in the video would be great!

starter
21/04/2016 at 17:23

Basically build a metal/ wood foundation that you connect to the bike. And replace the back wheel with a flywheel. Make sure the pedals are not slaved to the flywheel or you could get hart. So when you stop pedaling the pedal is not force to move with the fly wheel. I had a bike like that once. Ouch. Flywheel anything large round and heavy on the surface. That you can put a hole in the center of. Then use a belt or chain to connect it to the machine. Using a flywheel allows you to build up momentum so you can get of the machine to do other things. Note keep your hands away from the blades or you might lose a finger. And the machine will now have no emergency stop due to the flywheel. So make a shell to enclose the machine to make it safe.

Future directior of Pegasus

starter
21/04/2016 at 17:33

For melting you can use solar ovens but you can’t really control the heat so you would have to place the mold inside and use gravity to feed it. Or you could use the bike flywheel to force air/water into a tube using a fan blade/ gear driven pump. That is solar heated then forced over the item to heat it overtime.

It is easier to melt it with a dubble boiler and then por it into a mold.

Future directior of Pegasus

starter
25/04/2016 at 12:18

It is also possible to mold with out heat, for example: you can compress the shredded plastic pieces mixed with a bonding chemical inside the mold. The bonding chemical could be glue, acid o even milk with vinegar.

helper
07/06/2016 at 18:46

I’m agree with @reallyrosie, as legs are stronger than arms, a bike system should be more productive, comfortable too and an easy base for group powering.

About melting, there’s a great use of fresnel lenses… it could maybe inspire anyone Fresnel Lens Solar Power Foundry Obsidian Farm 3800 ˚ F 2100˚ C Fresnel Optics greenpowerscience

By the way… could fresnel lenses be made by PET plastic?

helper
07/06/2016 at 18:50

On the other side, I’m promoting a discussion about a mould designers community to suply local producers and users of dave’s machines. Please, drop your thoughts here Mould Design Community, what if…???

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪