We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Self powered shredders for places with no power

Christopher Dillon Harwood dillonharwood07gmail-com

Self powered shredders for places with no power

02/04/2019 at 13:53

I have come up with an idea for the shredder. I think it would work very well in the containers especially. Same design shredder as in the video with a slight add-on.  We could maybe connect a gear on the opposite side of the shredder from the motor and have an alternater with a smaller gear fitted there sothe shredder would still turn at the same speed but because of the 2 (or more should anyone want more) gears would turn the alternator at a faster spead which could then produce power and charge a (distilled water battery) which then could power the motor.

Im still working on building this still looking for parts and or cash to build a shredder and then this hole idea of mine to test it. Im really excited to try it out. Any thoughts on my idea pls let me know would love insight from someone also nor sure if anyone has tried this yet.

Be safe and have fun.

8 replies
2 subscribers
2 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes
02/04/2019 at 15:15

@btmetz made an impressive shredder running with a regular gas motor, still waiting for his details 🙂

starter
02/04/2019 at 17:34

Thats a really interesting idea. Im just concerned about gas in a confined space like a container, but still a great idea worth developing.

02/04/2019 at 17:46

well, a simple exhaust pipe would do though. a 3 Kw generator is btw. less noisy, and less jumpy …. possibly btmetz can say something about the pulleys and motor mounts.
about the other machines, in a standard container you will need one big door open on each end anyways, facing average wind direction, I guess. not sure you saw the posts about solar: you need an array of 11 panels wired directly to the inverter of the shredder motor (after a 20$ bridge), gives you around 3kw for 3-6 hours at noon. to run the heatbands via solar, you need another device of around 800 Euro. so it could be a day shredding, and the next injecting and/or extruding.

02/04/2019 at 20:03

you’re surrounded by quite a number of water falls! I couldn’t find the time yet to figure this out in detail but we used water mills for ages .. A little ambiguous but you could run the whole system with that. If you do, let us know; I have similar on mind in our area, no idea where or how this is really going 😉 I know Africa has to process tons a day to catch up, so if you’re up to, technically you could 🙂

warrior
03/04/2019 at 06:01

Lessons Learned from the Gasoline shredder.

1 Use grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

2 you need some rubber washers in the motor mounts
3 you need a method to bolt the machine to the floor or rubber feet because of vibration
4 from the motor to the center axle, it used a 2 inch to 12 inch pulley B type for reducing to 400 rpm or so.
5 Flywheel might make it work better
6 from the center axle to the shredder, 15 tooth to 58 tooth 50 series chain and sprocket.  I did not use 60 tooth as the center bore on that is 1.5 inches and the 58 tooth is only 3/4 inch, which was bored out to 1 inch with key way.

7 Some parts are in imperial, simply because the bearings are more common and cheaper in inches vs metric.  The pillow block bearings are from Europe and 4 dollars each.
8 use a low rpm 6.5hp gas engine.  these have a built in governor and 2000 max rpm.  When the engine slows down you can hear the governor kick in adding more power during shredding.

9 gas engines are a lot lower cost and lighter weight than electric. less than half the cost.
10 I used 6mmx35mmx35mm angle bar for the frame on this unit with MIG welding.

11 further frames are 3mm galvanized steel plate, laser cut and cnc bent.

03/04/2019 at 16:20

@btmetz, thanks a million for the details. one last thing: can such machine being operated by anyone ? or does it need frequent ‘maintenance’ (tighten screws again, etc..)

starter
14/04/2019 at 18:45

From experience i have learned that any machine that vibrates would need shock absorbers such as rubbers they do help alot but when it comes to (nuts loosening on the bolts) try useing lock nuts 2 lock nuts should work for that problem so you would use the one to hold your lugs or whatever together and the second lock nut to prevent the first one from loosening /falling of then it would give you low maintenance. However any machine needs maintenance theres no avoiding that. I would recommend working out a maintenance plan for all your machines so that when you look at your calendar in the morning you would know to check your machine. Every 2 weeks to a month would be a good time period you shouldn’t need to fix your machines every time but its good to know for sure that everything is in order and should some part be worn when you do check then you can replace it before it breaks and causes harm to the rest of your machine.

warrior
13/05/2019 at 12:58

There is a long tradition of using small “stationary engines” on farms, right around the world, for driving all manner of agricultural machines.  Any off-grid operation would do well to keep up with that tradition.

Watch this video taken at the 90th anniversary enthusiasts gathering for the Lister D Type engine.  The Lister D Type was just one of many small, reliable, slow speed, liquid cooled engines manufactured mainly for farm use.  Modern lightweight “portable” engines tend to run faster, are mostly air cooled, and hence tend to be noisier.

Attachments:
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪