We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

🌎 Change your mindset first

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Olivier 2 weeks ago.

Jegor jegor-m

🌎 Change your mindset first

09/02/2018 at 00:00

Hi guys,

A lot of us here want to help the world somehow.
For obvious reasons, if you want to change the world, you would have to change your mindset first. I am referring to the plastic related / consumption habits we have.

If we are trying to solve the problem, but continue buying unnecessary plastic daily, we are just feeding the problem.

For example, a lot of us still buy water in plastic bottles (PET) and after reusing it a couple of times (at best) we throw the bottle away. This is not anyhow sustainable, so one of the solutions would be buying a reusable (metal) flask that could be washed and refilled.

Personally, now everywhere I go, I see plastic as a waste or potential / future waste. This got me to buy less shit I don’t actually need.

As @mattia-io once said:

Stop buying plastic!

**this of course does not apply to all the items made of plastics, just a part of them.

—————————————————————
Other topics to be added:
What products not no make

12 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
09/02/2018 at 00:17

The bottle I use after I realized it was time to change habits.

Attachments:
helper
11/02/2018 at 09:10

Way ahead of you! Considering that you shared a water bottle photo, guess I’ll follow suite. Converted a metal beer bottle into my primary water container.

Attachments:
new
11/02/2018 at 09:21

Wow! coming through here i hought Zero waste was surely an abbreviation as it is in other forums. The picture is sooo much bigger than plastic and oil! I think i actually heard about precious plastic from zero waste group. Good work though its true what you say! Stop the faucet we re drowing. Then our work really will be of use.

warrior
11/02/2018 at 16:20

Greats words from @mattia-io. I’ve been using old juice bottle for the last 5 years. (never broke one in all those years) They did take it at the airport a few times.. However the upside is you can easily get a new one, since they are normally used as disposable packaging 🙄

Attachments:
helper
11/02/2018 at 23:16

What’s good about a clear bottle is that you can easily see if there is any dirt/mold/etc that needs to be cleaned out. (Obviously, we should clean out our containers on a regular basis regardless)

helper
11/02/2018 at 23:57

Our actions speak more loudly than words.

The garbage company that picks up our trash doesn’t even offer recycling pick-up. They say it’s not “cost affective” or something.
There is a large hill two miles from my house that wasn’t there two decades back. It is our garbage dump. When it rains hard I can smell a fowl stench in the air. It’s source is obvious.
The only way for this endless cycle of waste to change is by changing the habits and mindset of my own personal community. The only way that I can do this is by changing my own mindset.

helper
12/02/2018 at 10:51

YEP! less waste less problems. Simple life is better.
But we could change only out own mind. But there are still 7 bilions poeoples on this plannet.

If some one don’t know there is Zerowaste philosofy! and it cointaion many other thing about how to reduse waste.
– reuseble coffe cups
– ecobags no plastic bags
– compost and so on

helper
14/02/2018 at 03:35

For example, a lot of us still buy water in plastic bottles (PET) and after reusing it a couple of times (at best) we throw the bottle away. This is not anyhow sustainable, so one of the solutions would be buying a reusable (metal) flask that could be washed and refilled.

Hello @jegor-m,

I totally agree about what you say and have also myself a metal bottle that I reuse/refill, But… (cause there is a but) this is easy to say where tap water is drinkable water. I recently moved to the philippins, we have a 30 litter tanks that is refilled every month (apparently they are really not the healthiest option) and I still also rely on buying 6 litter bottles (rather than 1.5L) when the tank is empty.

This was just to mention that even trying to reduce you waste and being aware of all this sometimes you have to rely on it for health or other reasons.

helper
14/02/2018 at 23:40

I just noticed something in regards to my water bottle that I should have thought about before repeated use.
Metal particles formed from the repeated interaction between the metal cap and bottle are leeching into the water.
Not sure how dangerous aluminum particles are in the long-term, but I’m not taking any chances.

May take up glass bottles for now on.

Attachments:
warrior
06/05/2018 at 19:40

I just ditched my Gillette Mach 3 razor blade and started using my grandfather’s good ole double-edge safety razor blade. Those razor blades and they replacement blades are made of fully recyclable metals while the Gillette branded ones are pretty much impossible to recycle anywhere.

I keep a glass mason jar where I put all my used blades and will probably take me a lifetime to get it full

Attachments:
warrior
07/05/2018 at 12:58

@xxxolivierxxx

And here’s what you can do with then once you’ve filled the jar:

warrior
07/05/2018 at 17:38

I guess I’m going to have to find a hidraulic hammer and build myself a forge hehe

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.