We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

A light from recycled plastics. Translucent?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Wrybread 1 year ago.

Wrybread wrybread

A light from recycled plastics. Translucent?

09/03/2020 at 02:18

I’m working on an art project where I’d like to make a light from some recycled plastics, ideally that we collect from the beach. Unfortunately our beaches have lots of discarded plastic available…

Most of the plastic is PET (water bottles, etc) and some is HDPE. I’m new to plastics and have been going through Dave’s *excellent* YouTube videos to learn the basics, but it looks like HDPE is much easier to work with but is opaque? Is there a way to make it translucent? Maybe some bottles are?

Or is there a way to press PET(E) plastic? Eventually I’ll be making a 3 inch (75mm) wide by 13 inch (330mm) bar of recycled plastic with some LEDs behind it, and I’d love as much light to pass through as possible, though with a little diffusion.

And I’m guessing I can’t mix the two?

Does anyone happen to have some project guidance?

And thank you for the great resources!

Now back to your YouTube vids…

1 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved
new
09/03/2020 at 18:45

I found this excellent tutorial of yours on making light bars from polystyrene (PS aka #6):

https://community.preciousplastic.com/how-to/make-a-lamp-with-beams

Great work as usual.

I’m wondering if I can mix some plastic bottles (PET) in with a predominantly PS mixture? Maybe if I super carefully regulate the temperature?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪