We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Agricolture&plastic

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mariangelo 3 weeks ago.

Mariangelo angelo75

Agricolture&plastic

23/09/2018 at 14:46

Hello, my name is Angelo, I live in Italy and I’m a farmer. Each farm is a small workshop, workshop, carpentry but alas a little dump. Plastics affect my business: the bigger my company becomes, the more plastic I am forced to use I would therefore like to recycle the plastic that I create and feel like I can use it. Rural development plans for agriculture are very focused on the multi-functionality of farms such as: farms, educational farms, sale of farm products, so why not aim to make farms also precius plastic laboratories? The company’s precious plastic lab would recycle the plastic of my clients creating a sort of bond During certain periods of the year I could encourage this link with seasonal products I could favor the plastic recycling during food and wine events with the simple use of the shredder favoring the recycling and the stocks of plastic materials for the following phases like the extrusion and / or the press Which new and cool material would I like to create with plastic? Profiles for the construction of geodesic domes and customizing the spas company

6 replies
4 subscribers
0 saved

In reply to: Agricolture&plastic

helper
06/10/2018 at 23:55

Ciao @angelo75
Your approach is very similar to mine, we have a small fabrication/machine shop located at our agricultural charcoal facility in Western North Carolina.  A big part of our work is around using ag plastics as feedstocks, and finding alternate uses for the machines during relevant seasons.  for ex, the shredder doubles as a food waste and leaf litter grinder, for our vermiculture process, or for the 2 weeks out of the year that you need an apple crusher; we’ve used our extrusion machine for pelleted fish feed.   Our plastics feedstocks are now nearly entirely hdpe milk jugs from a nearby dairy, and black ldpe irrigation drip tapes.  We’ve tried extrusion of chicken netting fenceposts, though the process so far consumes far too much time and energy.
One useful ag waste to ag product has been our fruit tree limb spreaders.
Would love to keep in touch and see how your approach works in Italy
Cheers

Attachments:

new
21/10/2018 at 18:21

Hey @lwfbiochar and @angelo75, I’m so excited to see some other farmers on here who have similar goals! Currently I’m an employee at a farm and I don’t have a recycling workshop. I’m hoping in the next couple of years I’d like to have my own operations.

Hey @lwfbiochar, I’m stoked to hear that you’ve been able to recycle drip tape. Throwing drip tape into the garbage is so painful, at the farm I’m working at we throw so much of it away. The same thing goes for the plastic nursery trays we use for transplants. With the shedded material you’ve gathered, what sorts of things have you been able to make?

helper
26/10/2018 at 03:22

Hi @fperez394 ! So far, we’ve stuck mostly to the limb spreaders, along with some fruit bowls from the extrusion machine.   This stuff extrudes nice and smooth, better than anything else I’ve sent trough it.  It’s so easy on the equipment.

I’ve read it’s almost always virgin (non recycled) Linear LDPE for added burst strength.  I don’t know about your farm, but here in western NC conventional farmers rarely use it for more than one season.

It’s a real tragedy for the environment, and kind of a gold-mine for us.

Ag film mulches are the new priority – too dirty for conventional recyclers.  I’ve learned recently there is only one facility in the entire USA that accepts it.

starter
26/10/2018 at 14:00

currently my attention concerns the profiles in pp.with these profiles I would build a geodesic greenhouse using this buildwithhubs.co.uk connectorI would use these tubes as braces for tomatoesin any catalog for gardeners you can see how many and which plastic objects a farmer / gardener uses

starter
27/10/2018 at 11:08

Grande Angelo!!!
where exactely are you located?
let’s meet maybe!
s

starter
27/10/2018 at 13:36

@maccabot   san daniele del friuli

View this post on Instagram

#loci #inmylands #inmymind #mymy

A post shared by Angelo Bortoluzzi (@angelo.bortoluzzi) on

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.