We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Arduino extruder controller

Ivan Jakesevic ivan82

Arduino extruder controller

15/01/2018 at 16:33

The arduino controller for the extruder machine.
It can control 2 output heaters, for example 1 heater on one output, 3 heaters on the other output (heaters are represented by the led diodes, they should be changed to relay switches).
2 temperature probes which are enabling the heaters.
The temperatures can be modified with the control buttons.
Both probe temperatures must be reached for the motor to start.
The motor is speed controlled based on the wire thickness which is being extruded. So if the thickness is higher than the target thickness the motor speed is increased, if the thickness is lower the motor speed will decrease.
Feel free to comment and come with suggestions.

To start/stop the machine, go to the menu and select “Start/Stop”.

Schematics and code

Attachments:
12 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
15/01/2018 at 22:22

Cool man! I really like it 🙂
Do you think it’s also possible to control 3 phase motors?

warrior
16/01/2018 at 07:27

dave did something similar but it was all confusing so i never tried but I think there were 2 puller nema motor that were used to call control the diameter of the filament. i dont understand how 3phasic or mono phasc motor can be controlled by Arduino

dedicated
16/01/2018 at 10:12

Could the single/three phase motor be controlled through a central rasberry pi which will also control the arduino???

starter
16/01/2018 at 22:07

With this setup it wont be possible to control a 3 phase motor.
To control a 3 phase motor you need 6 mosfets, which means +6 more outputs on the Arduino and maybe +1 pin to control the speed manually with a potentiometer.
+3 motor drivers to handle the higher current (Arduino can only provide 0.2-0,5A).

Arduino DUE or MEGA will be sufficient to run everything, motor, display, controls, temperature probes and heaters.

3 phase motor controller

dedicated
17/01/2018 at 00:36

Hi
Arduino could control motors mono or tri… If you have the good interface.
In this given configuration I don’t know if we have remaining slots from the arduino…
Or we could reduce the buttons quty 😉
But @ivan82 can surely answer more precisely
DiB

starter
17/01/2018 at 00:50

Ye it is possible to reduce the buttons from 6 to 2 and add one potentiometer (3 outputs saved).
Potentiometer can be used to browse trough the menus and increase or decrease the values. If a rotary switch is used then the switch uses 3 pins and one more button can be removed (rotary switches usually have a push button). One button to confirm and other to cancel the action. Is that what you meant @dbougas ?

dedicated
17/01/2018 at 01:45

Heu yes 😁 perfect answer on the buttons reduction…
We did our post almost together and I didn’t see you answer on the 3 Mos 😋
Perfect answer! Do you have pictures of you creation?
Thanks
DiB

starter
17/01/2018 at 11:01

I will create a new sketch with the rotary switch and update the code.
I will probably post a new post on how to control a 3 phase motor with arduino or maybe integrate it with the current solution (I haven’t decided jet).

warrior
17/01/2018 at 14:43

@ivan82 please do..also would appreciate if the post is self explanatory so a person like me with no electronics background could understand

starter
17/01/2018 at 23:59

I have created the 3 phase motor controller sketch.
3 Phase Motor Controller @sharma-sagar

dedicated
18/01/2018 at 00:00

👍 @ivan82
I will follow your post carefully… I am not yet on the extruder construction but when I will be at this level… I will use it 😀
So in meantime I will comment your post with my basics experience… On arduino and electronic.

@sharma-sagar
having myself 2 left hands… Ivan, it has to be basic 😋

Ivan, if you implement also triphase motor control. Do you plan to upgrade arduino to due or mega? Or the buttons ‘saving’ actions still allow the use of Uno? Don’t forget that you don’t need anymore the monomotor that you use. 😅 We could also imagine using one single pot for both heater control and navigation. ‘an other to cancel’ you could also use the same button but with more than 3s pushing time to cancel.

@plastikfantastik

If you have a raspberry π, you could control a mono/tri with the mosfet/drivers… Directly and not using an arduino.

Thanks for this post Ivan
See you
DiB

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪