We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Ask Me Anything

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 372 replies, has 289 voices, and was last updated by  Antonio 1 day ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Ask Me Anything

20/11/2016 at 02:15

This topic is for you community. The place to ask me anything.
Favorite project, best holiday, what motivates me, what time I wake up, if i know square-dancing, everything goes here.
Have a look through the older questions ones because I won’t answer the same twice.

Shoot your questions 🙂

372 replies
105 subscribers
12 saved
13 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Ask Me Anything

starter
09/10/2018 at 02:54

Hello Mr. Hakkens. My name is Dylan Hettick-Harlow, and I am a Senior at Lyme-Old Lyme high school. I’ve been looking at your movement and message for a while now, and I must say that it’s caught my interest. I am in the process of trying to start a non-profit that I have come to call “The Community Shift”. Me and a couple of colleagues will be traveling across the country next year starting at the end of the summer. During this time, we’ll be touring organic farms around the country to try and establish a foundation for the non-profit. I won’t go too far into the details, but the basic idea is that The Community Shift creates a community for volunteers to live in, short or long term, while they help the surrounding community. Volunteers will take part in plastic, metal, and wood recycling as well as removal of invasive plant species that will be turned into houses. I think that this program could be a really big breakthrough for making money for the non-profit THROUGH recycling! Any ideas or suggestions or contacts that you could provide me would really help get the process started. If you want any further information about us and what we are planning on doing, just say the word and I will email you the written and visual presentation about it. My goal is to establish these “community shifts” around the world, hopefully changing it for the better. I think that my non-profit can help spread the word about Precious Plastic and it’s goal to get rid of plastic waste, and I think that Precious Plastic could be a really big benefactor for the non-profit. Any and all advice or contacts or ideas or questions you could give me would mean a lot to me and my friends.
Thank you for your time, Dylan Hettick-Harlow

new
11/10/2018 at 04:44

Hey Dave, my name is Art Torres, I live on the beautiful island of Cozumel in the Mexican Caribbean, if you wanna come to dive or snorkel, our home is open to you. I am new here, so I would like to ask you where do I find the blueprints or videos for machine construction, honestly, I am quite lost on the page, Nice to meet you, greetings from Mexico!!

starter
11/10/2018 at 23:08

can you make it a dual function machine next…maybe toast my bread.   that’s all I ask.

starter
13/10/2018 at 15:30

Ever thought about pyrolysis
http://www.energeticforum.com/renewable-energy/7040-how-turn-plastic-waste-into-diesel-fuel-cheaply.html

I am building a extruder to produce filament for a 3D printer ATM.
Hoping to use that to produce molds for injection molding.

Attachments:

starter
15/10/2018 at 04:47

Hi, my name is Miguel, I’m an engineering student from Guatemala. I am very interested in your videos of making your own recycling machine. I would like to bring your ideas here to my country, and start Precious Plastic here in Guatemala. Of course if you allow me.

new
19/10/2018 at 05:26

hi Dave, thanks for this wonderful project.

What do you know about the temperatures and speeds appropriate for the filament extrusion for 3d printers?

thank you very much again.

new
30/10/2018 at 00:28

Hi Dave,
Greetings!
Myself kamlesh khetiya, an indian origin and currently living  in kampala city.
I seen your videos on how to recycling a plastic waste into variety of products which we can use in to our day to day life ,indeed a very innovative and practical solution . I live in Kampala UGANDA, and  running an educational institute.

I want to discuss about my idea about recycled electric pole(which is primarily use to distribute electricity), I  seen a huge potential in waste or recycling plastic  electric pole,
why?
currently gov’t is using wooden electric pole, which is a huge environmental problem of deforestation. since gov’t had no other options coz cement pole is very expensive in  price, here in uganda we had a huge area of forest so wooden pole is cheap but in other darker side it’s also encourage deforestation in UGANDA.

if you can help me about my idea how I can manufacture recycled plastic pole, I really  appreciate, because UGANDA is non develop country, neither they stop using plastic  goods nor having proper facality to dump that waste . I need your help abou technical support such as design of pole,strength of pole, machines and anything which may I not mentioned.
Kindly advice me how I can move forward in this idea, if  you need any further information or clarification plz do not hesitate to contact me either on my email [email protected] or my mobile no +256 752312819( I am using whatsapp on same number), Skype id kamal.khetia
Thank you

Best Regards
Kamlesh khetiya

starter
01/11/2018 at 15:08

i am looking for shredder  for 5 gallon bottle of water , the bottle are made in polycarbonate. dimension are 12 inches wide.

ibg
starter
05/11/2018 at 13:10

Hey Dave, Me and my friend, we want to start our own workspace in my home town in India but we’re just not able to find the right people to collab with since we’re not experts in machine/mold making. we have the space, the ideas and the designs but that’s it.
Any suggestions?

new
08/11/2018 at 03:36

Hello Dave!
I’ve been rummaging around your PP posts lately and I am very much interested with the idea because here in the Philippines there is so much plastic wastes around and I was thinking of putting them to good use without necessarily leaving too much carbon footprints. Is there a group here where I can actively involve myself with?

By the way, I was an exchange fellow of the now defunct Graphic Media Development Centre in The Hague in 1997. I participated in International Course in Graphic Design, a 4-month course. I loved the hospitality, culture and the very liberal government of Holland.

You’ll hear more from me later.

Thanks and have a great day!

new
14/11/2018 at 11:01

Hi Dave can we have the instruction and blueprints for the shredder and the injection machine??? we want to make one  for our school thesis.

we want to make it using a computer to operate.
fro Philippines.

new
20/11/2018 at 13:29

Hi Dave,

Greetings from Switzerland.
I work for a research institute based in Switzerland but having project in low- to middle-income countries and my new project is about Waste management in schools.
We are now working in a school of 1’000 students in Nepal and I’m thinking of using Precious Plastic machines for recycling plastic waste from the school.

At school, a large quantity of food packaging (noodle packaging) is produced, as well as food wrappers. What can be done with it? it is possible to melt it and produce something new?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

new
20/11/2018 at 13:42

Hi Dave

I sent you an e-mail to [email protected] about an opportunity in Panama, di you get it?

Regards

Paul

new
20/11/2018 at 18:03

Hi dave,

I’m callista from Malaysia 🙂 Currently a final year student in industrial design. And i’m now working on my final year project regarding on plastic waste issue. Before i learn about your campaign, i intended to develop a starter kit to turn the waste into something new. The main idea is people can turn the single used plastic waste in their home following by the steps of shredding it down, heating and molding it but in a smaller scale. May i get some advice from you regarding this idea? Thanks and have a good day!

new
21/11/2018 at 05:25

Hi Dave! I’m from the Philippines, and our country ranks third in plastic pollution (next to China and Indonesia). And we built a project on reducing effects of destructive and improper plastic waste disposal through upgraded community engagement. We call it Project #REDUCE.

Now, our problem is after our community information and education campaigns, coastal and under water cleanups, imposing proper segregation, and other activities, where will these plastic wastes collected go? Usually, it goes to sanitary landfills and junk shops, but we wanted to make an effort on upcycling and creating plastic by-projects. With that we can help our community engage on social enterprise and sustainable livelihood. (Have I mentions, our province is also ranked #4 in the poorest province in the Philippines?) We wanted to reduce plastic wastes, if not end, and at the same time help our community.

Our organization is willing to work with you. We saw that your machines are really helpful and ideal. I have to questions:
1. Can we collaborate on this project: recycling and upcycling plastic wastes and turn them into a sustainable livelihood for our communities here in Sarangani Bay, Philippines?
2. Can we get permission to replicate your machines or if ever at least buy your machines?

Please reply. It would really help us on our advocacy. Please. Thank you!

Attachments:

new
24/11/2018 at 21:43

Hi, my name is riduan safei from Indonesia. I am a teacher and a coach of environmental organizations in Pandeglang District, Banten Province, Indonesia. We have difficulty in costs and tools in the effort to process plastic waste in our area which is indeed very massive. We really need a tool for processing plastic waste, including a shredder machine, and an extrusion machine. Therefore I want to ask for help from everyone so that I can help us.Best regards.

starter
28/11/2018 at 04:00

Hi, I understand burning plastic gives off toxic fumes but to make a cord for a 3d Printer you are not burning the plastic but just melting it. Do you find any toxic fumes from this process?

new
30/11/2018 at 07:30

Hi Dave,

I am an artist based in Los Angeles. I have tried contacting the workspaces in LA (that are on the map) to see if I can visit in person and see if the machines are accessible but so far no luck with anyone. Is there any other way I can reach out to them?

Also, if I were to start build the machines myself with a collaborator how long would it take to build all the machines and I guess how “easy” it is for non-builders?

Thanks for building an awesome community and look forward to hear back!

new
03/12/2018 at 03:01

This is so good Dave, it is so nice to belong.  We are the dumpsite scavengers association of Maasin City, Southern Leyte, Philippines.  We call our group Restore Green Movement Alliance for Green Schools & Communities or RGM Alliance for short.  We are 30+ soldiers for your Army.  We have not done anything yet worthwhile but you’ve ignited our passion again to move.

Thanks Dave for creating this group.  More Power!

helper
15/12/2018 at 04:01

https://gph.is/2C916Um

helper
15/12/2018 at 04:07

Dave is there anyone in your core group interested in developing Parabolic Solar Reflection to heat water into steam and use the water and steam engines to provide electricity to run your machines?If so, could you ask them to follow the thread at Precious Plastic Panama on Facebook?

Attachments:

new
20/12/2018 at 23:27

Aloha Dave great project and really nice “wave” of entusiasem you started.
I have only the best words for your mission and if I can help in any way I will give the best of me.
When I saw the video “story behind…” one thing come across my mind that I traid to develop by myself here locally: here is 3d scheme but youtuYo is full of examples https://youtu.be/CQvvVsM1rOc
It can be used for all kinds of stuff but most importantly for energy freedom.

new
24/12/2018 at 18:43

big data projects for cseAntenna Based Projectsmedical electronics projects in bangaloreraspberry pi projects using pythonImage Processing Projects Using Pythonmatlab based projects for ece final yearsignal processing projects using matlabimage processing projects using matlabIEEE Projects Based on Data MiningIEEE Projects in Data MiningIEEE Projects for CSEIEEE Projects for CSE Based on Data MiningIEEE Projects for CSE in Data Miningcloud computing projects for final year studentsIEEE Projects for CSE in Cloud ComputingPython Projects in bangaloreArduino Projects for CSEarduino projects in bangaloreArduino Projects for Final Yearieee projects for cse in big datastructural engineering projects for btech studentsstructural engineering projects for final year studentsMechanical projects for final yearIEEE Projects for ECESchool Model Projectwireless sensor networks projects for csewireless sensor networks projects for csewireless sensor networks projects for final yearIOT Projects Using Arduino UNOArduino Projects Bangalorefinal year projects for computer science on machine learningFinal Year Projects for CSE in IOTfinal year projects for cse in cloud computingfinal year projects for cse diplomafinal year projects for cse in image processingfinal year projects for ecefinal year projects for ece based on vlsifinal year projects for ece based on iotfinal year projects for ece ieeefinal year projects for electrical engineering studentsCivil Engineering Projects for Final Year Studentstelecommunication projects for final year studentsinstrumentation projects for final year studentslabview projects for studentsmca mini projects in phpmca project in javamatlab projects on control systemieee projects for cseieee projects on pythonieee projects on data scienceeee projects on data miningieee projects on machine learningieee projects in bangaloreMtech projects on Machine Learningmtech projects on iotm tech project on wireless communicationmtech projects for csemtech projects based on matlabbca projectsbca mini projectsbca projects in javaEEE projects for final yearrobotic projects in bangaloreFinal Year Engineering ProjectsIEEE projects for final year ECEcomsol projectspower electronics projects for mtechpower system projects ieee

new
25/12/2018 at 19:00

Hey Dave! I just recently committed on reducing my plastic waste by not throwing away anything from plastic bags to candy wrappers, my mother and I wash them up and cut them to pieces, filling up soda bottles. (It’s actually a cool little hobby). But then all these bottles are piling up, I recently wanted to donate the bottles to an organization that gave me the idea, but then I saw your videos online and I knew that’s what I want to do! so my question is this:
I have no equipment, experience, capital or any knowledge about making a product or any of the technical stuff that you do! I just came here with a full desire to help the environment and produce like you do..
so What do I do?

starter
28/12/2018 at 08:30

Hi Dave my name is Pablo Fernandez, I own a small company in NY I love technology and helping others specially our planet I recognize the problem of pollution. I love the river and grew up next to a river in my home after moving to NY I was very sad and frustrated living with so much water around us and couldn’t swim in them because of all the pollution in them I remember the hot summers in NY and wanting to jump in the Hudson River but how if it was polluted im sure there is so many kids in ny felling the same way i do so i committed to my self and my daughter’s that i would do what ever i can to help make this world a much cleaner world so maybe my grand kids can swin in the hudson unfortunately im only one man but i wanted to participate and be pro active so i toaght of what can i do to fufill my promise and commitment to my daughters and to my legacy
I know every year the pollution problem gets worse and specially our oceans with plastic products that can be recycled i have and idea and prototypes of some products that would really help use the recycled plastics you guys use i dont havealot of experience in marketing and production but t i know how to invent things and would really love and ask you to help me because i know alot of people can benefit from this especially mother earth im a serious father of 2 daughters my first daughter just graduated from Binghamton university first in my family to graduate from college i told her that i would start to keep my promise please contact me pleaseif you havea few minutes that can change alot for alot of people i just find what you guys do so noble you have empowered so many people with out any malice i think if we empower our people we empower our selfs and our community  just let me know if there is any other way i can be pro active thanks but wouldreally please contact me or if you can refer me to someone who can help me get these products made

starter
29/12/2018 at 15:06

Just a thing on this topic: Information Precious Plastic Bazar and Privacy Policy on http://www.sharetribe.com
Transfers of the information outside the EU and the European Economic Area.Information may be stored to a server that may be located inside or outside of the EU and the European Economic Area.
Just a little doubt. If info is in EU follow european law, but it goes out, for example in USA and someone takes it and handles it, regulations followed for any problems will be american law that is different from Reg. UE 2016/679.
My suggest is to check on this argue.
Many thanks Dave for all you are created in an open source way. It’s a possible way to share life. And a good chocolate to eat for you.
Mariella

new
31/12/2018 at 21:08

Good evening Mr Dave.  Many thanks for all your support and effort in creating machines to fight plastic pollution. Please, I am a bit confused on the electrical setup of the extrusion machine in your video, I would like a detailed lesson on the electrical connections. Thanks Mr Dave!

new
04/01/2019 at 15:57

Hello super plastic precious team,

i recently came across your group and I am so excited to join your team. I am a new bee to this machine making world with no engineering skills but I love networking and writing content. I am also a true believer of reducing the plastic from this planet 🌎. I would consider myself lucky if I can provide you my support in any form. Dave , you a are a motivation to me !!

great going and cheers to the fantastic team!!

Namaste,
Prachi Sharma

starter
04/01/2019 at 19:02

Thank you, I figured it out and downloaded the files. I will study.

starter
09/01/2019 at 11:01

Dear Dave,

Ia Orana (long life to you) from the South Pacific !I am writing to you on behalf of the whole team of the Project Ho’e Ana’e Tatou, the Tahitian for We Are One.

I have the honour to address you to share this ambitious environmental project full of hope that could be in your interest.This project aims to tell the story of two young Polynesians, from French Polynesia, well known and very engaged in the field of conservation at a local level, who will start a 6-month world tour, through 17 countries, to raise awareness about the protection of the oceans and the consequences of climate change on a local scale, in the Pacific (coral bleaching, ocean level rise, temperature rising, loss of biodiversity, etc) and, more generally, on a global scale.We will leave our home to look for answers, to look for sustainable solutions already working thorough the world that might build the society of tomorrow, before it is too late.

In French Polynesia we are still lucky to be a preserved ecosystem, but until when? Our goal is also to discover Polynesia to other nations in a way never done before. We will share our beloved paradise and will spread a message of hope : it is not late to remedy climate change and in this fight we are one, we must be undivided.

What is our added value ? We are excellent communicators and have already launched local initiatives to protect the environment. Some of our actions have indeed influenced the decision making progress of several measures for 2019, as for example the ban of plastics bags :https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Le-gouvernement-annonce-une-interdiction-des-sacs-plastiques-en-2019_a174675.html

We will be followed on social networks and on TV. The two local television stations (TNTV and Polynesie Première- France Televisions) have will broadcast our adventures on a regular basis, weekly. We are engaged to produce at least 25 video reports. They want also to broadcast the documentary, 56-minute format, that we will be producing once back home.

Besides, the artist, American singer, Aloe Blacc, has expressed his agreement to associate his song “Hello World, the world is Us” to our project.We are aware of your engagement in the field of marine conservation.

In our way we are going to visit important hotspots and places where plastic in general is a real problem.
We think that the Precious Plastic Movement is a very interesting solution to start fighting against plastic and we will love to meet you and your team ! Maybe you could be interested in we to film one of your initiatives and share it to French Polynesia ?

Please, feel free to have a look at our itinerary (17 countries) in the information dossier here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gPq0Lyph7okQARRyAKKJN_srx7toF1oSThe tour will be told with the simplicity, authenticity and humour that characterize Polynesian people. Polynesians are well know for having a strong connexion with their land and ocean.

Our message will be articulated underlining the beauty and value of all the biodiversity that we will have the opportunity to know on our way.

Major local economic players (Air Tahiti Nui, Tahiti Tourism, Tahiti Brewery, Fenua Ma, STP Multipress, etc.) have already agreed to support us.

The supposed departure is scheduled for early March 2019.Please, feel free to watch our trailer (not official version!): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nM9diwtMkNoAD0QJPENgWbLhPVV564dz/view?usp=sharing

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Mauruuru maita’i (Thank you very much !)

Sincerely,Ho’e Ana’e Tatou Team

Viewing 30 replies - 271 through 300 (of 372 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.