We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Ask Me Anything

Tagged: , ,

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Ask Me Anything

20/11/2016 at 02:15

This topic is for you community. The place to ask me anything.
Favorite project, best holiday, what motivates me, what time I wake up, if i know square-dancing, everything goes here.
Have a look through the older questions ones because I won’t answer the same twice.

Shoot your questions 🙂

415 replies
141 subscribers
18 saved
26 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Ask Me Anything

new
10/03/2017 at 03:37

Hey there!

After some time I saw the preciousplastic video on YT I decided to collect plastic at home.
Although, as I didn’t start any machinery yet, now I have a huge ammount of PET bottles but (as I saw after some research) this is not a good material to recycle through the processes that you showed us… Am I correct?

So, for now, I am pretending to take it all of it to a local recycling place, but I am also willing to continue collecting the caps, which generally are made of HDPE.

Then I ask you: do you know another process for PET recycling instead of the heating one?

Thank you in advance!

Greetings from Rio!

** OH, and thank you for your time! I really enjoy your work and make it noticeable to people I know and they also enjoy it a lot! Let’s go bananassssss

starter
10/03/2017 at 09:14

Hi Dave ! I am Kishore Gandhi . I am really interested in making up global economy healthier by recycling the plastics in different ways . I hope I have come to right place to share my ideas , I am really helpless to explore my ideas , I am really glad Tht I have met u. So please help me out , I promise to be delegated at work .

warrior
10/03/2017 at 16:30

@milk Do you have a section in the community for Documentation/Written-tutorials/stuff to read?

Not yet, currently we are more focussed on video. WOuld always be great to have additional option, but we simply haven’t got the manpower to organise that.

@patrickr When next your are in Africa or Asia ask of organic shampoo (no chemical additives). they are really good.

Not a questions but I appreciate the tip

@dtremmel Then I ask you: do you know another process for PET recycling instead of the heating one?

You can work with PET on a small scale, however its much easier to progress for the industry. Just to make life easier I would suggest to start of with another type of plastic. Also because if there would be any plastic recycling going on already on an industrial level, it would probably be PET. There is more work to be done on PE and PP.

@kishoregandhi So please help me out , I promise to be delegated at work .

Sorry man, i’m not able to help out everyone individually. It should be clear watching our videos, if you still have any questions feel free to post a topic in our forum.s Good luck! 🙂

starter
13/03/2017 at 11:52

Hi Dave

I would like to set up coffeebars with your machines, so people can come in and create something for their own or something to sell whilst they’re drinking a coffee.

Feel free to contact me so we can work together…

[email protected]

Groetjes
Christine

starter
15/03/2017 at 22:05

Help!
I also want to start recycling: D but when I try to download the shredder drawings, it appears as a corrupted zip file, and it does not contain anything, someone could send it to me, I would really appreciate it … Greetings from Mexico

starter
19/03/2017 at 04:08

Do you know rainbow gatherings? Do you like to have a clown nose?

new
19/03/2017 at 17:01

Hey Dave! Do you have any video’s of using the compression machine? If so please share with me. 🙂

starter
24/03/2017 at 14:15

hi Dave , i want to oppen my project in tunisa i need your contact plize
i need help anser me plize

new
25/03/2017 at 01:03

Hi Dave,

I am thinking of starting the Precious Plastic Project at my high school and I am just wondering how much electricity energy does it consume to melt 1lb of plastic? On average, does the machine use a lot of energy and is it energy efficient? Thank you so much!

29/03/2017 at 05:44

Hey Dave, Im planning to build the extrusion machine, but I couldn’t find the specifications of the motor (I know it has to be about 70 RPM but I need to know its power and torque), would you help me to choose the right one?

Thank you!

starter
02/04/2017 at 15:02

Have you been to Mongolia? If not will you visit since I am starting the PP project here soon. #wishlist
Mongolia

warrior
02/04/2017 at 22:53

@nonkonform Do you know rainbow gatherings? Do you like to have a clown nose?

No. No.

@surya421999 Hey Dave! Do you have any video’s of using the compression machine? If so please share with me. 🙂

Working on more examples!

@valenbalcazar Hey Dave, Im planning to build the extrusion machine, but I couldn’t find the specifications of the motor (I know it has to be about 70 RPM but I need to know its power and torque), would you help me to choose the right one?

Sorry man, i’m not able to help out everyone individually. That’s why we have this online community, i’m sure that many people around here can help you out! Start your own topic and get going

@taivans Have you been to Mongolia? If not will you visit since I am starting the PP project here soon. #wishlist
Mongolia

Never been, its somewhere on the to-visit-list though, good luck!:)

starter
16/04/2017 at 05:42

Hi Dave!

Congrasts for your initiative of plastic recycling! and provide all the necessary info for start the movement. Im from Puerto Rico and we have an enormous plastic recycling problem in our island and you move me to be part of the solution. I notice when i made my registration in the forum, Puerto Rico its not listed in the country list i chose US, we are part of it but not full oficial. It will very nice if Puerto Rico show it in the list of country. Thanks for you are doing…

Attachments:

warrior
16/04/2017 at 19:04

Put it on our to-do list for the next update @abner 🙂

new
18/04/2017 at 19:30

Hej Dave,

Me and my friend and pro partner are in love with your machine ! In our Parisian atelier we are trying to build this amazing machine !

First of all, the shredder : we need to cut the steel elements but it is so expensive here in France ! (about 700e) we can not afford if

So my question is do you have a not so expensive contact for the laser cut ? Maybe in you country is not as expensive as in ours ? or any idea how to do it for the lover price ?

Thank you very for all you good tips and for the machine !!
D&G

26/04/2017 at 13:58

When will we be able to translate our website into our favorite language ? I know many people of our community who can translate, but we at least need the source code of the website. We need to reach a maximum of people !

Greetings 🙂

starter
27/04/2017 at 05:36

When I am next in the Netherlands (in June) down from Panama, can I visit your workshop???? For even more live inspiration??? Or are you way too busy?

starter
27/04/2017 at 14:05

@davehakkens Pls how can I get the plastic shredding blades I mean the full cutting section parts from you. I will pay for the delivery to my place in Nigeria. No place to get them over here. Thanks

starter
01/05/2017 at 02:18

Q: There is one word in the English language that is always pronounced incorrectly. What is it?

A: Incorrectly

starter
02/05/2017 at 17:54

Hello @Dave,
Am Arthur from Uganda-Africa, i had an idea or suggestion.
Since you guys hv a lot of e-waste than Africa than u can produce the machines cheaply, how about you make a ready to assemble machine like a shredder parts machine than we can buy at a cheaper price at the sametime contributing to your mission.

starter
05/05/2017 at 10:49

Hi Dave, Great initiative! Just stopping by to offer my help with anything related to mechanical design, 3D models, fabrication drawings, instructions, opinions, ideas, calculations…etc.

I’m a mechanical engineer and have been working in industrial applications for a few years. But would also like to be part of something more important.

I can donate a bit of my time to contribute in any way.

Thanks for creating this platform

P.S.: The offer goes to anyone that could use a bit of help in these kind of projects 🙂

MAK

starter
10/05/2017 at 03:05

Have you ever considered recycling high density styrofoam? I’ve been using Insulated foam blocks for construction and have generated a lot of waste. The brand I use is called Nudura ICF.

warrior
10/05/2017 at 22:11

@zonca-slazakowska So my question is do you have a not so expensive contact for the laser cut ? Maybe in you country is not as expensive as in ours ? or any idea how to do it for the lover price ?

Have a look at this topic to see where others source them, or browse around in the forums to join a group order. For instance this one in Germany

@denfer007 When will we be able to translate our website into our favorite language ?

We would love that, but we need to build a system for that first. However we haven’t found the time yet. Have a look at this topic for more information

@loes When I am next in the Netherlands (in June) down from Panama, can I visit your workshop?

Sounds fun, however we don’t really do social visit. They take a way quite some time, which we rather spend on development. If you are around in October you should definitely drop by when we launch V3 though 😀

@mak383 I can donate a bit of my time to contribute in any way.

Not really a question but thanks for the offer! Maybe you can help out with our shredder in this topic?

@patrick-ecospecsolutions Have you ever considered recycling high density styrofoam

yes, doable! The machines are not super optimize for it though, could be done more efficient.

starter
22/05/2017 at 10:27

hey Dave, as an industrial designer, id really like to help the best I can. I’ll try to find people in Montreal, Qc, Canada from the community (im seeking in the forum) to be able to work with the machines to then think of new products that could be valuable. Is there any other way you think i could help with the V3 plan ?
Thanks a lot for all your work !

new
28/05/2017 at 20:18

Hello Dave, go on like this.

new
02/06/2017 at 17:39

hello dave you have really inspired me to do alot more with recycling plastic and i love what you have created.
i just wanted to ask if you have a life view or what it may be? also if i could suggest a certain life view for people who are searching for one! hope you are well 🙂

thank you

starter
06/06/2017 at 20:59

Bro – left field question. What’s your favourite dinosaur?

new
09/06/2017 at 12:48

Hey!
I watched most of your videos on YouTube this week and i was amazed by how you were able to recycle those plastics into reusable household materials with your locally fabricated machines. I tried to download the blueprints but i was unable to access them, so i was hoping you could mail them to me. I also wanted to ask for cost estimates of creating the machines as plastic recycling is something that is of key interest to me.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Cheers!

new
16/06/2017 at 08:13

There is no option to pay through debit card or net banking for donating

warrior
21/06/2017 at 21:20

@davehakkens,

When should we celebrate Precious Plastic birthday? I guess this could be a thing around the world now, when we either:

1. Party to celebrate Dave, his creations and overall current success of this project.
or
2. Organise world plastic collection day at local PP branches, that could be a good publicity move?

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 415 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪