Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Ask Me Anything

This topic contains 146 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  Natalie 4 hours ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Ask Me Anything

20/11/2016 at 02:15

This topic is for you community. The place to ask me anything.
Favorite project, best holiday, what motivates me, what time I wake up, if i know square-dancing, everything goes here.
Have a look through the older questions ones because I won’t answer the same twice.

Shoot your questions 🙂

warrior
22/06/2017 at 22:11

@jegor-m When should we celebrate Precious Plastic birthday?

Haha I dunno. Officially they got online
Version 1.0 21 October 2013
Version 2.0 24 March 2016
So we turn 4 in October 🎉

Toggle replies
25/06/2017 at 17:54

Have you thought of developing an app for this site?☺️

Toggle replies
starter
01/07/2017 at 15:52

Dave, I always admiring your works!

One question I want to ask you. Do you feel interested in paper waste recycling?
If you do, I will feel very excited if I can help you to brainstorm the idea.

Regrads.

Toggle replies
new
03/07/2017 at 08:27

Hey Dave!

Hello from Los Angeles! I think your machine tutorials are amazing. Unfortunately I’m not very skilled in the construction aspect of “Precious Plastic”.

Here’s my question: If I can get the plastic to a similar size and density as the shredder produces, then theoretically I wouldn’t even need a shredder…right?

Toggle replies
starter
04/07/2017 at 15:36

Hi Dave!
Just wondering how you found your time at DAE?
I went to the open day there a few weeks ago and it seemed amazing! Also do you have any tips for the application procedure?

Thanks for being a great inspiration!
Sam

Toggle replies
warrior
13/07/2017 at 17:50

@davehakkens,

Hi Dave,
In one of your videos there were bouldering stones attached to the wall in the workshop I guess. Tell us about that. Who boulders and whether you think these stones can be made out of plastic? Like PC or ABS? And could you test it at your workshop?

Toggle replies
starter
14/07/2017 at 06:29

Hey Dave just wondering if you were going to take an visit to USA anytime soon if so you should stop by and visit I’m in Oregon.

Toggle replies
warrior
16/07/2017 at 20:18

@fxdennypradana Do you feel interested in paper waste recycling?

I’m interested in every type of recycling! However I need to keep focus, otherwise I get nothing done.

@leesam007If I can get the plastic to a similar size and density as the shredder produces, then theoretically I wouldn’t even need a shredder…right?

How would you do that without shredder?

@smhdsn Just wondering how you found your time at DAE?

Loved it! Intens but fun!

@jegor-m In one of your videos there were bouldering stones attached to the wall in the workshop I guess. Tell us about that

Yep all plastic with aluminum casted moulds. Video coming 🙂

@madwolf28 Hey Dave just wondering if you were going to take an visit to USA anytime soon if so you should stop by and visit I’m in Oregon.

Not i the planning, but that could change soon!

Toggle replies
starter
20/07/2017 at 06:06

Hi Dave, This may have been asked but unable to locate…..Will you be looking at designing rotational moulding machines sometime in the future to add to your existing compliment?.
Would add plastic tubing or piping to possible output and a multi tilt rotational moulding machine would make small 3d hollow plastic creations quite easily with gas being the main heating source.

Toggle replies
dedicated
20/07/2017 at 13:00

Monthly News #5, 4’30”, I like these blue plastic fish! Do they have a use or are they just decorative? Is there a CAD file for them?

Toggle replies
starter
20/07/2017 at 14:28

Hi Dave!

First, I’d like to waste a bit of your time to congratulate and thank you for this amazing project of Precious Plastic. 🙂

I have a few questions regarding your “wind oil” project.
Are there blue prints or instructions available?
A farmer friend of mine wanted to produce oil out of his rapeseed (we’re talking tons of seeds), so I’m curious on how to upscale. How long does it actually take to fill a bottle? Would it be best building several machines or increasing the size of one? I’m also wondering if wind power would be reliable enough or if it’s worth using (if not an engine) man power from motivated interns.

Toggle replies
warrior
01/08/2017 at 06:13

hey @davehakkens could you tell how Matthias was making those long blocks of plastic for making stools using extruder, coz it all seemed witchcraft to me😂 can you share the mold, if that what it is?

Toggle replies
helper
01/08/2017 at 08:38

@sharma-sagar
Have a look at this topic, you can find some information in there. link

Toggle replies
new
01/08/2017 at 11:30

@dave
Hi (from Zambia 😉 )
We are planning a new project in schools in Zambia to get students building, recycling and sharing. The school we are starting with already has a relationship with a UNHCR refugee camp not far away and we want to get them involved too. We also want to get the help of some big companies to get us started, such as First Quantum Minerals.
This is the beginning of something we hope to make very big. We hope eventually our project will spread to schools all over Africa and the world.

We’d love the support and collaboration of your team, how can we get in touch?

Fynn

Toggle replies
warrior
13/08/2017 at 01:42

@williamward Will you be looking at designing rotational moulding machines sometime in the future to add to your existing compliment?.

We actually used to have this machine in V1, however applications where a bit limited and the process was a bit tricky using (older) recycled plastic.

@andyn Monthly News #5, 4’30”, I like these blue plastic fish

Some guys at Adidas made them for a workshop, let me ask if they would like to share the file 🙂

@sharma-sagar hey @davehakkens could you tell how Matthias was making those long blocks of plastic for making stools using extruder, coz it all seemed witchcraft to me😂 can you share the mold, if that what it is?

Yes video of the process coming soon! We first ened to test out a few more things 🙂

@fynn This is the beginning of something we hope to make very big. We hope eventually our project will spread to schools all over Africa and the world.

Sounds like a good project! Best to send a mail to hello@preciousplastic.com

Toggle replies
warrior
13/08/2017 at 01:46

@calyppe I have a few questions regarding your “wind oil” project.
Are there blue prints or instructions available?

Unfortunately I haven’t got the blueprints of it. Would still love to do it so people all over the world can build a wind-oil themselves. However at the moment i can’t find the time to finish this, would love to though. So for now I won’t be able to help you out, sorry!

Toggle replies
starter
18/08/2017 at 19:45

Hi Dave,
most of the machine descriptions on the tutorial file are very rare to see in under-develope countries like Nigeria where i live. is there any local alternative for the shredder and extruder.
i use plastic waste for lumber, roofing shingle and paver stone production my most challenge is the extruding machine.

Toggle replies
starter
28/08/2017 at 21:57

Hi Dave
Can I make a donation by postal order ?
Also I want to know the list of the electric components to build the switch box for the oven .
Regards
Anzo

Toggle replies
starter
30/08/2017 at 15:26

hello, im tryin’ to get succesfull cases proyects for an study of recyclin’ on cultural communities…
sorry for my english, i’m from méxico…
can u help me? 🙂

Attachments:
Toggle replies
starter
05/09/2017 at 11:48

Good Morning Dave,
Is anyone selling any of their products that they’ve made? I don’t have the expertise much less the space to build the machines. But I would love to own some of those bowls you displayed in your videos! Thanks in advance.

Toggle replies
new
07/09/2017 at 00:44

Hi ! Was wondering if you know lilo.org ? It might help…

Toggle replies
new
10/09/2017 at 10:46

hey dave!! i’m aneesh from india.I’m actually interested making the internet a safeplace *A cybersecurity analyst to be in the near future*.So,the real question is,Can i contribute something to the phonebloks community?

Toggle replies
new
11/09/2017 at 11:49

hello Dave my name is Manuel and I am writing to you from italy I am most sincere congratulations for your project!
I would like to start up immediately to build the shredder, I would like to ask you where I can find the mechanical components that you see in your video.
Thanks for your help.
Manuel

Toggle replies
warrior
14/09/2017 at 01:10

@eokeke82 most of the machine descriptions on the tutorial file are very rare to see in under-develope countries like Nigeria where i live. is there any local alternative for the shredder and extruder.

Not that i’m aware of. But we are currently setting up an online marketplace which should make it easier to source parts..

@anzo Can I make a donation by postal order ?

At the moment we haven’t got this. Thanks for wanting to support us though 🙂

@alaskannative Is anyone selling any of their products that they’ve made?

Our bazar is coming online soon!

@aneesh Can i contribute something to the phonebloks community?

You can always have a look around in our online community. But to be honest i haven’t been very active around there, currently fully focussed on plastic.

@manuel78 I would like to start up immediately to build the shredder, I would like to ask you where I can find the mechanical components that you see in your video.

Ebay is a good source for that!

Toggle replies
helper
14/09/2017 at 13:52

can u help with preperation of plastic b4 the shredder.

Ken

Toggle replies
new
22/09/2017 at 13:51

Good day, I’m Akeem from Abeokuta, Nigeria. I need someone to help build these machine (shredding, injection and extrusion machine) in Nigeria.

Toggle replies
helper
22/09/2017 at 18:55

hi, i asked u a couple of questions but u did not answer.
ken

Toggle replies
starter
28/09/2017 at 01:05

HELLO Dave. You are my hero. What do you think about recycling PS foam? I work for a polystyrene company and I love plastic. We control our waste but there’s so many uses for PS I am blown away by it’s versatile property. I will post pics of my foam block adventures. If anyone has questions on how foam is made send them to me. I am no expert but as I said I love plastic. Thanks again.

Toggle replies
starter
29/09/2017 at 08:56

Good day. I write to you from Belarus, it’s between Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland)))

Tell me please, can I translate your video (voice video) into Russian, and distribute the video on my YouTube channel. With links on for
https://davehakkens.nl
https://preciousplastic.com
http://next.preciousplastic.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/hakopdetak

P.S. I already started translating the site

Toggle replies
starter
02/10/2017 at 22:21

Helle all
I am mohamed from Abu Dhabi in UAE, i am intersting to start business in recycle in my region
Contact me
M_alshedi@hotmail.com

Toggle replies
Viewing 30 replies - 61 through 90 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.