We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Ask Me Anything

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 244 replies, has 183 voices, and was last updated by  Bill 4 days ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Ask Me Anything

20/11/2016 at 02:15

This topic is for you community. The place to ask me anything.
Favorite project, best holiday, what motivates me, what time I wake up, if i know square-dancing, everything goes here.
Have a look through the older questions ones because I won’t answer the same twice.

Shoot your questions 🙂

244 replies
25 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Ask Me Anything

starter
22/12/2017 at 01:34

hi dave, im new on this, but im so exited to learn all about plastic and how to recycle it, i have an idea to how to use the beams that u make with the extrusion machine but the question is, what kind of plastic i can use to replace wood?

new
25/12/2017 at 15:58

Hello. My name is Andrei. I’m from Romania. I want to get involved in the project. From where can I start?

starter
26/12/2017 at 16:14

Hi, Dave! Thank you for all you do!

I have not found a single topic about “Precious Plastic – Make a video” on the forum.

My first question: which model of DSLR camera do you usually use?

new
27/12/2017 at 20:37

Thank you for getting me even more excited in recycling and reusing. I would like to get started small here in Pueblo Co. I would like to know if you sell the shredders yourself or have a list of good ways to purchase or procure one. Eventually I can see having a complete storage container set up right here in my neighborhood. Any help is appreciated.

new
27/12/2017 at 20:38

I am right here with this guy.. Is there a start to finish DIY that we are not aware of? Lets get this plastic cleaned up!!

starter
28/12/2017 at 15:43

How can I get VDF and overload sensor?

starter
28/12/2017 at 15:50

How can I get VDF and overload sensor? I can’t get this in Nigeria

warrior
28/12/2017 at 15:56

@davehakkens,

What would a perfect day for you look like?

starter
03/01/2018 at 20:21

Heey @davehakkens, I really appreciate your work. I’m not sure yet about a completion of course work of my mechatronics techniccian course, I have to be honest in admtting that I did’nt watch all your videos and tutorials about the machines, but my ideto this project of mine was to join the shredder with the extrusion one and the sistem to curl the 3D filament, and thinking in that I have imagined about joining all the machines in the same structure making a plastic recycling station, I admit that I don’t have all in mind; although I wanted to have a opinion about what this project (joining Shredder+Extrusion+Curling3Dfilament) and this possible idea(Plastic Recycling Station) that may already exist, well, I don’t know, please help me in that, abou what do you think, what would be needed by me, thanks since now.
Greetings from Brazil!!!

starter
04/01/2018 at 20:19

Hi…happy new year…@davehakkens,,pls any idea on how to make plastic film from shredded plastic materials??

new
07/01/2018 at 16:16

Hello…
M sandeep…
Love the concept(s) very well..
Query..
How do I start working in India

warrior
08/01/2018 at 15:07

Sorry for the late replies everyone! Had a few busy weeks and then the holidays kicked in. You know how these things go. Anyway here they are!

@patroclo I carefully studied all your advancements and integrated it with academic stuff gathered here and there! If it can be of any use I can send to you my thesis

Haha cool! I’m not a very active reader myself but definitely curious! Send it along 😀

@dinkumdunny G’day Dave, Would you have any objections to the setting up of a facebook page specifically for us aussies to flap our gums on and network locally,

Go for it! Do make sure to share something back every now and then here in the global community so we can learn from your guys.

@razifrathi Hai dave..im razif from malaysia.i wonder when ur team will come to malaysia?..expecially in sarawak

No trips in the pipeline for Malaysia, could easily change though!

@chitatata Dave, I am sorry if I am asking you a question you have already answered before and I know you are busy so I’ll make this quick: How much does it cost to buy the already assembled machine?

Yep indeed asked before, many many times 😅. Try the search bar in the forums!

@juanblancogragera Do you know if the videos that you posted on the page can be viewed in Spanish or if they are translated into Spanish?

Quite some of them are translated into different languages, including Spanish. This is all done by the community, so not sure which exact videos.

@nickwade I have looked but couldn’t see anything, but do you have a short pp or pdf presentation that introduces Precious Plastic and how it works?

No we haven’t but that would make sense! For now you can get some images in the download-kit.

@juya What subject(s) did you study in SL and DAE, and how much do you find the curriculum influenced you?

cool! Uhmmm. Stand en Decorbouw or something at SL and Man & Activity at DAE

@tomascatedral
So my question pops out in how this project could be started and introduced under a legal framework as a personal project, as a non gubernamental organization effort, a community project, etc

No idea whats the best way for each country, interesting to find out though! Maybe start a topic and ask how others around the world did it?

@waxfoot I am based in Dubai and we don’t tend to do things by half measure . . . would you be open to me flying from Dubai to visit you and your team in Holland to jump start my project / plan for Dubai?

Thanks for the invite! However we cant help out everyone individually, to many people to many projects. You should be able to start yourself without needing us on location. Its designed like that. Otherwise you have this brilliant community of smart people from around the world right here that can help you out 🙂

@juanmtenis can you make flat, square and large surfaces with the machine, to make floors or roofs? Or bricks?

Yep many more other shapes are possible, however if you want to make flat sheets you probably better of with another machine, something like a sheetpress.

@ericaston Here it is: To make rooftiles from molten plastik,
I know a litle about it ,en I know it is possible . What r Your tought about it?

Go and try it out, we very often get request for that!

@yukicross Me and my friend have created 4sealife We were going to give you half of our profit when it kicks off, since I am supporting you 🙂 Is this okay?

That is very generous, but feel free to keep it for yourself. We rather see you grow and invest into new machines and techniques so you can recycle more 🙂

@verbisternest i just want to point out that i was contacted by a spammer on this forum. His email is [email protected] and his username is suvo12.

I hate that spambot!

@dbougas Hi Dave, Where are you? I mean right now.

Right now, Nuremberg Germany.

@gus237 what kind of plastic i can use to replace wood?

Nothing will fully replace wood, there will always be differences. So it depends which properties of the wood you want to which type of plastic to use.

@bosoy I have not found a single topic about “Precious Plastic – Make a video” on the forum. My first question: which model of DSLR camera do you usually use?

Used the Canon Mark 2 for..ever. Recently it broke and I replaced it with a Sony as7ii

@noduh I would like to know if you sell the shredders yourself or have a list of good ways to purchase or procure one.

bazar.preciousplastic.com

@jegor-m What would a perfect day for you look like?

Chill

@giovannidomingues I wanted to have a opinion about what this project (joining Shredder+Extrusion+Curling3Dfilament)

Sounds complex to make but awesome if it works properly

@zzchampion pls any idea on how to make plastic film from shredded plastic materials??

No idea, you can learn a lot from industrial processes on Youtube though

@svrsaveworld How do I start working in India

You just..start

starter
08/01/2018 at 16:27

Hi everyone!

Just been brainstorming and brewing some ideas.

I was thinking about extruding some toys… Or didatic objects for kids.. What kind plastic is advisable? I was ponderind PET.. Any thoughts?

And also… EU has many safety restritions for kid-safe-material. But I cant find yet how small can an object be to be considered safe, noto to bee swalloed

P.s.- I must apologize for my poor english-writting skills

See you all soon

starter
08/01/2018 at 16:45

@zzchampion @davehakkens You can make films through a thermopress, and adjust its thickness by using molds. I used woven fabric coated with teflon, calibrated to different thicknesses. Paper could do, if you work below its degradation temperature (around 180°C). Like you cut the shape you desire, you put shredded plastic as homogeneously as possible within the shape between two heated surfaces and you press. Takes few tries to achieve nice films. If you don’t have a thermopress, try an oven (dedicated to work with plastics, you don’t want to pollute your food!) and some weights that can be heated as well (metal sheets…). You’ll achieve different pressures by using different weights.
There is also the possibilty of designing a slot die for the extrudor, but this can be tricky, as the plastic usually cools down in the slot die and get stuck in it. It needs to be heated as well. Plus, you might need to use one or two rolls to kind of calender the plastic ribbon, if you’d like to really flatten it.
To make thinner films, like plastic bags, industrials generally use a blow-extrusion process, where the shredded plastic is molten and mixed in an extrudor, and a bubble of plastic is blown at the exit of the extrudor and cooled along its length until it is rolled up. It is difficult to stabilize the bubble to obtain an homogeneous film, that’s why this process is continuous and usually runs for loooong lengths of bubble.

starter
08/01/2018 at 20:14

Hello my name is Josh, I am living in Tulum, I have a workshop and tools here and work with plastic waste.

starter
08/01/2018 at 20:17

Get a heet gun and contact me rod a free on line work shop

warrior
08/01/2018 at 20:20

@svrsaveworld make or get some machines and just start recycling

starter
08/01/2018 at 21:15

Get a heet gun and contact me for a free on line work shop

starter
08/01/2018 at 21:22

Do u work with hot air guns

new
09/01/2018 at 09:04

HI Davehakkens,
I am from Pakistan. I saw videos, Pictures etc related to Plastic recycling.It motivated me a lot. I want to start it on mass level here in Pakistan. I need to know the followings:
1. How can I contact you other than community channel.
2. What is the total cost of Complete package (Machines etc)
3. Can I get any training from you or any other person here in Lahore, Pakistan.
4. How would I get the machinery.

Waiting for your reply.

starter
11/01/2018 at 10:25

Hey, I am newto precious plastic website, I am Zeina from Jordan… I think it would be a great opportunity to say hi here… And if it is possible to tell me more about the website so I can implement it and make a difference 🙂

starter
11/01/2018 at 10:26

Hey, I am newt o precious plastic website, I am Zeina from Jordan… I think it would be a great opportunity to say hi here… And if it is possible to tell me more about the website so I can implement it and make a difference 🙂

new
11/01/2018 at 16:19

We here in NW Montana (Eureka, Lincoln County)just lost our plastic recycling, along with lots of places. I want to pitch your plastic recycling container to the county and locals. I’m just a mechanic/fabricator, though. I can’t navigate a beaurocracy. Please connect me with whatever resources you can, I really need help. My facebook is logan.laird.33, e-mail [email protected], text 406-290-9022, I know we as a community can recycle our plastic and maybe even make it pay for itself. I just need help showing them it’s feasible. I can’t begin to write a cost/benefit assessment or grant proposal or any of that. I could, however, build a big shredder, and donate the labor.

starter
13/01/2018 at 21:44

@manix I’m very grateful…I will try all the processes

new
15/01/2018 at 00:27

Good day all plastiqueros!
Are there others here in Argentina?
Hopefully will be starting to build machines. Looking forward to starting. Dave is jy een kaaskop? Ha ha!! I know! Huge Dutch comunities here.. Some of my achesters are from there.
Thanks for the good work!!
Saludos
Janito

starter
23/01/2018 at 02:05

2 Questions Dave 🙂
Have you heard of Earthships
& How long have you been on this Earth?
Thanks man! Love your work

warrior
23/01/2018 at 02:16

@aclark 29 years! And yes. heard of them 😉

Attachments:

starter
23/01/2018 at 07:30

Hi, What is the best way to make board game pieces like chessmen or backgammon and checkers tokens. Is a compression machine the best option? Are there any shortcuts with the mold of the 6 types of chessmen to build them as a set of 16 pieces? Cheers from down under.

new
25/01/2018 at 19:30

Hi Dave, firts congratulations for your work arround the wordl we need more people like you…

My name is fernando Vizcaino i am from Colombia, i work with green energys and made my own power inverters, but now i am really interesting in made leds lights with a recycled plastic in order to use them to solar and winds energy projetcs….i would like you help me to know what kind of plastic are the plastic LEDs bulb and how i can get a white color for example……i can get information about the material that are made…..i already have the electronic desing for solar lights that can work without using a inverter…..thanks waiting for help

Attachments:

new
30/01/2018 at 15:16

Hi Dave may i firstly say thank you for sharing and being funny also. You make it enjoyable
i have looked at various sales in bazar where people mention v3 shredder. is this the same version on PP main site or is therre another one ?

Viewing 30 replies - 151 through 180 (of 244 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.