We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Ask Me Anything

Tagged: , ,

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Ask Me Anything

20/11/2016 at 02:15

This topic is for you community. The place to ask me anything.
Favorite project, best holiday, what motivates me, what time I wake up, if i know square-dancing, everything goes here.
Have a look through the older questions ones because I won’t answer the same twice.

Shoot your questions 🙂

415 replies
141 subscribers
18 saved
26 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Ask Me Anything

starter
30/01/2018 at 16:36

Is it possible to scale up the injection moulding machine to cast bigger blocks?

starter
30/01/2018 at 18:13

Hello Dave.

So it may look like I will get some funding to start the project.

if this is the case, where would you start with a project of this magnitude.

what would take priority, the location, container, machines?

new
07/02/2018 at 12:59

Wat voor eilandstand zou je willen (op het DDW 2018) bijvoorbeeld, welke kleuren, wat je erin zou willen zien, wat voor vormen, moet het helemaal open zijn of wil je het deels gesloten hebben, en ga zo maar door.

starter
10/02/2018 at 22:20

How do I download the KIT. It has been impossible downloading the kit. The download keeps breaking midway and automatically restarting. I hope you’ll fix it.

I am hoping to start a project to be managed by my dad but not being able to download the blueprints is currently stalling and dulling enthusiasm.

helper
12/02/2018 at 00:17

Do you still garden?

starter
12/02/2018 at 12:29

Hi dave you dnt use whatsapp?

starter
16/02/2018 at 17:35

Hello David,

thank you so much for doing what you do! It gives so much energy to see what happens if people just share ideas. And it makes me feel good that there are so many people willing to do something for our planet :).

As a passionate windsurfer I hate to throw my old wetsuits into landfill when there done, so I’m dedicated to do something about that.

First step is to schred the neoprene into little pieces, I guess. I’ve contacted some big companies that can do it for me. But as I can’t collect tonnes of wetsuits it’s pretty expensive. So very, very happy to find out I might make my own schredder!

Can you tell me if you know you can also schred neoprene with your schredder, as it not a plastic?

Looking forward to hear from you

Ilse

new
18/02/2018 at 08:55

What is the power of motor and rpm used for the extrusion machine built by you? (Power isn’t mentioned in the technical drawings)

starter
18/02/2018 at 10:51

As is always a tricky word. 😁

starter
18/02/2018 at 11:07

Hi @davehakkens

I’ve had a look through many and probably most of your videos but I still end up with the same question regarding the injection moulds….

I’ve spoken to 3D printers about making injection moulds and also cnc companies to make proper moulds but both seems to be very very expensive.
I don’t have any tools to make basic moulds and I was wondering if there is any other way to try. I’m sure I’m not the only person out there with the question.
Making the machinery isn’t that expensive I think but the mould are. If I’m going to be helping people in my community reducing plastic waste then there had to be an alternative.

This project wouldn’t be worth it for me if I had spend thousands (which I don’t have) on creative new moulds all the time. It is very time consuming having them made.

I would live to hear your opinion and what you did in the beginning to get the ball rolling.
Thanks a lot Dave! You’re a big inspiration to all of us!

Many Thanks!
Jacus

new
21/02/2018 at 02:06

I really would like to start a precious plastic workshop in Italy, but local legislation, and EU laws make it impossible to have DIY machines to comply with safety in an official workplace, other than your garage, did you investigate this aspect of running& a business using your projects plan?

starter
25/02/2018 at 03:11

hi how are you Dave Hakkens
How could you help me with the planes of the machines: the one is the machine to pedal the plastic and the other machine to melt the plastic. Greetings from Nueva Loja – Sucumbios – Ecuador. 24 February 2018 8h10 Pm. see you take care soon.

new
01/03/2018 at 04:24

Hi Dave,
How’re you going?
Huge respect and lots of thanks to you and your online army for everything you’ve done and probably continue to do at Precious Plastic.
I am super excited as I am on the very first step of building the shredder, that is to find a metal cutter. lol

I am wondering what is your plan of precious plastic in terms of business model/development/strategy? Are you thinking of running it as a business or it is always going to be a community based, DIY workshops style forum?

Thanks
Jo

new
01/03/2018 at 15:24

I have a lot of ideas on what to do with recycling plastic. I am hoping this will eventually help my community. But for now i am lost on where to start and i would love to get an idea from you. My current location is in Florida and this is where i want to start then move on to my hometown in Philippines. Please let me know how to do it in my home. Thank you

new
06/03/2018 at 16:04

Hi Dave,
I’m a new member of this community ready to start. But first i want to ask if on the machines of tutorials one can use also plastic bags ? How is the result? Is it worse?
Thanks M

warrior
09/03/2018 at 04:36

@peterbell57 Hi, What is the best way to make board game pieces like chessmen or backgammon and checkers tokens.

I’d go for injection. Quick and detailed. Not really a shortcut there, unless you figure out a clever mould

@4rpet hat kind of plastic are the plastic LEDs bulb and how i can get a white color for example

Not a clue. Try to find a bulb that has the logo on it? Easiest is to find that white colored plastic in a waste-stream. But i’d say first figure out what type of plastic you want to use.

@manzezs i have looked at various sales in bazar where people mention v3 shredder. is this the same version on PP main site or is therre another one ?

Same one. Officially called Version 2.1 (detailed information can be found in the download kit)

@juzarshabbir
Is it possible to scale up the injection moulding machine to cast bigger blocks?

Yep, if you make a bigger injecting machine(barrel).

@craig89 So it may look like I will get some funding to start the project. if this is the case, where would you start with a project of this magnitude. what would take priority, the location, container, machines?

Sweet. I’d build a shredder + 1 other machine. Master them and make beautiful valuable things. Once you get some money from selling those objects build the other machines.

@dominique-m Wat voor eilandstand zou je willen (op het DDW 2018) bijvoorbeeld, welke kleuren, wat je erin zou willen zien, wat voor vormen, moet het helemaal open zijn of wil je het deels gesloten hebben, en ga zo maar door.

uhm.. wat?

@bolanleodu
How do I download the KIT. It has been impossible downloading the kit. The download keeps breaking midway and automatically restarting. I hope you’ll fix it.

Should just be with this URL https://github.com/hakkens/precious-plastic-kit/archive/master.zip

@chrisv Do you still garden?

Haven’t got a garden anymore 🙁 Got a big one coming though, aka new project!

@tayguer
Hi dave you dnt use whatsapp?

Nope too much distraction for me

@ilsehoogeveen Can you tell me if you know you can also schred neoprene with your schredder, as it not a plastic?

Dunno, never tried, seems easier then normal plastic though..

@alibohra85
What is the power of motor and rpm used for the extrusion machine built by you?

About 1 KW and 70RPM

@jacusauc
I don’t have any tools to make basic moulds and I was wondering if there is any other way to try. This project wouldn’t be worth it for me if I had spend thousands (which I don’t have) on creative new moulds all the time. It is very time consuming having them made.

Aluminium casting is a fun cheap way. My most expensive mould ever made was €700, i don’t think you need to spend thousands. And often you make a mould because you want to produce quite a few items, so having 1 well made detailed mould that you use for a long time is actually quite nice. compared to 5 shitty ones.. But I see your point, we need a detailed good mould for the price of a shitty one. 🙂 We are still exploring alternative ways though, hopefully we come across more techniques.

@ludolab I really would like to start a precious plastic workshop in Italy, but local legislation, and EU laws make it impossible to have DIY machines to comply with safety in an official workplace, other than your garage, did you investigate this aspect of running& a business using your projects plan?

Still on the to-do list. But i choose environment over rules

@joanne
I am wondering what is your plan of precious plastic in terms of business model/development/strategy?

I prefer to keep the development of Precious Plastic community based and in-depend. So we can always stay 100% true to our goal. Usually business gets in the way of that. That said we love it if others make money recycling plastic!

@maria-paz I’m a new member of this community ready to start. But first i want to ask if on the machines of tutorials one can use also plastic bags ? How is the result? Is it worse?

We actually have a few videos on working with bags on preciousplastic.com!

new
09/03/2018 at 06:06

In this video, “Make recycled plastic wall grips with aluminum”. After you have created the clay molds what type/brand of sand did you use to take the clay molds shape and pour the aluminum into?

starter
09/03/2018 at 07:08

Hi Dave – can’t seem to add my pin to the map or upload a photo for my profile. Can you or anyone help and maybe explain what the problem is?

Thanks

Rgds
Sulma

starter
09/03/2018 at 07:27

Hi Dave – I cannot seem to upload my pin on the map or change my profile avatar picture. I am not sure why.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks
Sulma

helper
09/03/2018 at 09:06

@4rpet

maybe you can ask @matoha they are developing a great machine who can test it for you

warrior
10/03/2018 at 01:06

@sulma Hi Dave – can’t seem to add my pin to the map or upload a photo for my profile. Can you or anyone help and maybe explain what the problem is?

We had some database issues(it was full). Should work now!

warrior
10/03/2018 at 01:12

@wrmbowhunter
In this video, “Make recycled plastic wall grips with aluminum”. After you have created the clay molds what type/brand of sand did you use to take the clay molds shape and pour the aluminum into?

Its called casting sand/foundry sand its a bit sticky.There are ways to make it yourself using wallpaper glue and white sand. Didn’t really work out for us though..

helper
13/03/2018 at 21:59

Hello neighbors and especially @davehakkens , the only way to sell the legal machines is to process an CE certificate, it is worth very good money, is there any way for Dave to help us get it? we contribute money through the bazaar, so I see that the certificate is paid by everyone.
If there is an accident, someone has a finger amputated, the seller has the responsibility to PAY and a lot to the damaged one.
We will have to make modifications, but the idea is that we do not have problems when they have accidents

Attachments:

starter
14/03/2018 at 07:22

Need help navigating through your site. I see the great potential your platform my assist me in my project. Where should i begin?

My name is SidLocks. I’m a multimedia producer from Haiti currently living in Harlem,NYC operating ReclaimHaiti.org. Reclaim Haiti is a social enterprise focused on decreasing the plastic & styrofoam pollution in Haiti and it’s surrounding areas.

*Please review our promo: https://youtu.be/ndcbh5JuMGg.

* We are currently looking for like-minded people from around the globe to contribute time, money, production support, intellectual ideas and resources to the Reclaim Haiti.org movement.

Mesi Anpil= Thank you very much! Ann ale= Let’s go!

Attachments:

new
14/03/2018 at 08:26

Hi, I’ve tried to communicate with Preciuos Plastic Mexico, and I’ve not recieved a response. ¿Some of you knows where I can communicate with Precious Plastics to buy equipment? Thanks!

starter
14/03/2018 at 17:44

I think it where cool if the site gets a plasticrecyleometer. so all members can record how much they recycled and it will be counted togeter and shows up on the map and the main page of preciousplastic.com. The mebers just should be honestly and this human verification option. i think taht is a realy good idea and that way we see also how big our communtiy is and how much we already make the world better :DDD

new
14/03/2018 at 21:03

Dear Dave,

First of all I would like to congratulate you for the project.

Have you ever heard of using recycled polymers in the additive manufacturing process powder bed fusion (selective laser sintering)??

I really appreciate your attention!!

starter
19/03/2018 at 19:16

Hey Dave, here Santiago from Argentina, Buenos Aires, Moreno, the last suburban line, so here’s my question, can you share the blueprints of the bowls? im trying to make bins for trash and i like the way the bowls are made, a blacksmith is going to make it, need some idea about how to do it.
In other stories, im starting a lovely project thanks to you and the human group behind precious plastic, i feel so glad of give me to tohers around the world and in my community, help to solve the problematic of plastic pollution, i really can’t believe what we are making as group, with our conciusness and our strenthg together, we are really changing the world into a bettter place! Piece by piece, people by people. Yo are my personal hero men, all what im doing in this moment with my life wouldn’t be possible (or harder to make, probably) if Precious Pastic doesn’t exists!
Tons of love!
Santiago Romero from León Verde!
Abrazo gigante!

starter
20/03/2018 at 10:58

hi, Dave!

I want to appreciate ur amazing work which I think that is one of the best solutions for product industry. and I want to thank u enough for making this happens and motivated many people out there to help this world(by recycling).

my question is,
so many people triggered with this project(we can see the community map), but why I can’t find the product output as well? what do you think about it?

PS: I’m sorry if my question is a little bit rude(maybe?).

Thanks

Viewing 30 replies - 181 through 210 (of 415 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪