We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Ask Me Anything

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 412 replies, has 326 voices, and was last updated by  Amonpan Khampan 1 week ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Ask Me Anything

20/11/2016 at 02:15

This topic is for you community. The place to ask me anything.
Favorite project, best holiday, what motivates me, what time I wake up, if i know square-dancing, everything goes here.
Have a look through the older questions ones because I won’t answer the same twice.

Shoot your questions 🙂

412 replies
141 subscribers
18 saved
25 likes
sort on date

In reply to: Ask Me Anything

warrior
01/02/2017 at 13:47

What did you learn from your Asia Trip? What was the most important, life changer thing that you implemented to your life?

That in our western bubble it feel like the entire world act and thinks like us. But its not. And there is so much more wisdom in these cultures. The positivity from people in India and the open-minded monks in Thailand was amazing. Overall it seems less focussed on work more happiness..

And good there here you like it @johnp, slowly getting better 🙂

hero
02/02/2017 at 07:48

idea

Wrong
Answer: incorrectly

Attachments:

starter
01/02/2017 at 13:14

What did you learn from your Asia Trip? What was the most important, life changer thing that you implemented to your life?

P.S. I love the new version of this website. You are motivating thousands of people and bringing ideas, I hope you’ll never stop.

starter
26/01/2019 at 14:27

Hello Dave how are you. I am Edem from Togo in west Africa. I beginning precious plastics project with shereder and extrusion machine. When will you came to visite US in Togo. We hope you soon.

Attachments:

starter
10/01/2019 at 11:00

Hi Dave and all.  I have bought a property in Robe, South Australia and renovated the shed into a functioning Precious Plastic factory and a retail business with quality products from recycled items.  I have completed shredder and injection and nearly completed the extrusion.  My question is can I convert Styrofoam to solid Polystyrene simply by heating in the injection machine or do I need to use acetone to get the air out first?  I am trying to make foam PS into floor tiles.

http://www.transmutation.com.au

Attachments:

starter
24/05/2018 at 12:14

Dear Mr. Hakkens,

We have been forwarded by Olivier López whom we talked to and he mentioned that there might be a possibility to meet up with you as we are in the Netherlands.  We are last year international business students at the Hanze University in Groningen. We are currently devoting our time to study the concept of precious plastics. We believe that precious plastics has the criteria to be perceived as a new business model. We have been browsing through the community of precious plastics for the past few weeks. We were hoping to conduct an interview about precious. We were wondering whether you would feel free to do this and whether you have time.

Perhaps we could post our findings on the community page. We would like to thank you in advance for your time, consideration and efforts.

Kind Regards,

Sabrina Gheorghe & Claire Scales (2 ambitious students)

warrior
01/02/2017 at 12:44

There is one word in the English language that is always pronounced incorrectly. What is it?

idea

hero
21/11/2016 at 07:26

There is one word in the English language that is always pronounced incorrectly. What is it?

😀

helper
20/03/2018 at 12:12

Ever heard of Rawganique?
They make shoes the old-world way and they look pretty sweet. They also use all natural materials and vegan everything. I own a pair of sports shoes from them.
They’re 100% compostable! They are the only ones I’ve found that sales shoes like this.

Attachments:

warrior
01/03/2017 at 00:48

would it be stereotypical question to ask to you about your encounters with “herbal medicine” (if you know what i mean *wink wink*) because you are dutch?

it is, but thats super allowed in this AMA topic. Yep done it when I was a kid nowadays not anymore. Don’t feel a need for it maybe again when I’m sick and need medicine 😉

*maybe i’m just high on plastics 😅

warrior
28/02/2017 at 17:28

Hi Dave, are you still not using shampoo? 😀

starter
15/02/2017 at 23:34

Hi,Dave can we recyle plastic bags in these machines ?

warrior
07/02/2017 at 23:28

@trisaratops What is your favorite recipe and could you share it with us?

Food wise I love everything that these folks make. (credits to Lieke for making it)

My favorite recipe is currently a hot chocolate. Throw some almonds, dates, ricemilk and cacao powder in a (proper) blender, mix it up, heat it up. This gives a super nice thick hot chocolate. This is the one you imagine yourself drinking on a super cold winter day after a long walk outside and now heating yourself up near a wood stove. That entire feeling is inside the chocolate. Its way beyond any traditional milky version out there. LOVE IT!

warrior
05/02/2017 at 02:04

@momo We use WordPress with Bbpress for the forums and Buddypress plugin for the community stuff like user profiles etc. Easy to set something up quickly. Gets a bit more complicated when you try to customize everything like here 😅

starter
02/02/2017 at 22:05

Hi!
My name is Luis and I am from Mérida, the biggest city on México southeast region.

I´m an industrial engineer (I´ve just graduated from an MBA). Along with my mechanical engineer friend (also an MBA) David Sansores we´re starting to build our shredder.

We´re also deciding wich other machine to build, we are between the injection machine and the extrusion machine. But we have a question: ¿do we need to add some sort of chemical to the blend? ¿or with the shredded plastic is enought?

We´ll be trying to make some improvements like a thermostat to control de temperature, we´ll let you guys know if we succeed 🙂

Greetings from México ✌️🇲🇽

new
05/09/2018 at 00:01

Hi Dave,
I am Martin a mechanics student from Ecuador and I would like to start doing crazy things with recycled plastic. I have been searching about polymers and its structure but I would like to go deeper and read more about the structure of poymers focused to the recycling thing. The other thing is that I would like to make my own chop machine and I think with some advices from you I can make an efficient and good one.

new
28/05/2018 at 21:06

Hello, to every person in this community. I want to start the recycling process. But as i have never done such tasks before. I would like to know how much of the time do every one of you guys invest in this project. Because i think i am facing a question of chosing between recycling plastic and my dream job. But i am thinking of handling them both. So i want to know how do you guys manage this. 🙂

starter
21/03/2018 at 15:10

I have some old plastic buckets…most are HDPE plastic. A few of them are dry rotted from being out in the sun. They break and crumble apart easily. Is this plastic usable? Can it be melted and recycled?

starter
14/03/2018 at 17:44

I think it where cool if the site gets a plasticrecyleometer. so all members can record how much they recycled and it will be counted togeter and shows up on the map and the main page of preciousplastic.com. The mebers just should be honestly and this human verification option. i think taht is a realy good idea and that way we see also how big our communtiy is and how much we already make the world better :DDD

helper
16/11/2017 at 14:59

Thank you Dave for mobilizing this project. You da Superman
!

warrior
08/11/2017 at 22:16

@margeryk We also love your beautiful eyes, but can’t work out what colour they are. So are they green, grey, blue or very light brown?!

haha o dear that is very offtopic. But I guess thats where this “Ask me Anything” is for 🙂
Its blue.

new
01/03/2017 at 11:25

hello Dav, I just the army couple of minutes ago, I know more about plastic PET ,I have many of it around me here on how to make a waste to wealth for people here in Lagos Nigeria.

starter
03/02/2017 at 06:09

I have more of a “IT question”. I was wondering what frame work you guys are use for your forums. I want to use it for a tiny house village project for the homeless in my community. http://www.bernco.gov/capital-improvement-program/tiny-home-village.aspx. this is all they have to organize people and communicate. I want to build the site so I can create a frame work to start up other villages in urban areas. But it all starts with collecting data and organizing correctly. just like your awesome projects and community !!!

Thank you for your time !

warrior
02/02/2017 at 22:16

@luisbuenfil you don’t need to add chemicals, just shredded plastic is enough

warrior
01/02/2017 at 15:39

when are the V 3.0 machines coming out? i thought today was the day

It is! next.preciousplastic.com

warrior
01/02/2017 at 14:09

when are the V 3.0 machines coming out? i thought today was the day

starter
09/07/2019 at 19:09

Hello Dave! I’m a new member of the community and have some questions: do get started, do I have to purchase the machines or build them myself? I just want to get all the process to start as soon as possible 🙂
Thank you!

warrior
19/06/2019 at 15:20

@sahelfablab
Best way to start would be to start a new topic in the
Welcome! Meet eachother forum, in which you introduce yourself.

Please do try to keep ‘plastic recycling’ in mind in any published activity, as that is what this community is about!

You already put yourself on the map so local people can already find you.
Maybe add your website to your profile?

And participate in the the community.
Give the community your view on questions and problems we face.
The community is global, but so is the problem we are trying to deal with.

starter
19/06/2019 at 15:04

We would like to publish the activities of our organization on your platform. What is the procedure to follow? thank you

new
30/11/2018 at 07:30

Hi Dave,

I am an artist based in Los Angeles. I have tried contacting the workspaces in LA (that are on the map) to see if I can visit in person and see if the machines are accessible but so far no luck with anyone. Is there any other way I can reach out to them?

Also, if I were to start build the machines myself with a collaborator how long would it take to build all the machines and I guess how “easy” it is for non-builders?

Thanks for building an awesome community and look forward to hear back!

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 412 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪