We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Aussies networking

This topic contains 16 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Derek Williams 2 years ago.

Simon Morrison simonm

Aussies networking

10/05/2016 at 04:57

Hi all,

I am in Lismore, Northern NSW. I am in the process of trying to source materials for building the Shredder, and am finding it to be extremely difficult to source some items here in Australia.

I thought I would start a thread where other Aussies might be able to help identify where items can be obtained.

So, I will start….
I sent out about 25 requests for quotes for laser cutting of the machine parts. I contacted companies in Northern NSW and SE Queensland (up to and including Brisbane). I only received responses from about half the businesses. The business with the lowest quote was Express Metal Products (www.expressmetal.com.au) and I have ordered my job. I will post a message when I get it to provide feedback on the quality of the work.

Items I am having trouble locating:
Electric motor – I think that this is an ongoing issue for a lot of people. I have put that issue aside for the moment as I have a temporary alternative which I will use while I put together a proof of concept. If anyone is able to locate 1ph motors that will do the job please post here.

Hexagonal bar – This one is proving to be tricky! I have been contacting various companies with no luck. I have been referred to Bohler, Interalloy and Global Metals. Interalloy and Global Metals have given me a No, and I have not heard from Bohler. It is looking likely that I will have to buy it from O/S or try to get one machined (which will be too expensive I imagine). If you know where we might be able to source Hex bars from, please post here.

Bearings – This was fairly easy to locate. I contacted a bearings place in Ballina, NSW and they had the correct one in stock. Let me know if you need details of the Ballina store, but I suspect that it will be easy to obtain.

Thanks

Simon
[email protected]

16 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Aussies networking

helper
10/05/2016 at 14:13

Hi all,

I have now come to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to get the 27mm Hex bar easily or cheaply.

As an alternative for my Proof of concept I have reduced the size of the hex in the blades to 25mm. This matched Hex bars used for crowbars so I will be able to get a crowbar to use. Hopefully the guys at Express Metals have not cut them yet and I will be able to get the updated ones instead.

If you would like me to send you a copy of the files that I used, please let me know.

Thanks

Simon

helper
10/05/2016 at 14:52

Hey @simonm, just check your crowbars size, both of mine are 25.4mm, you don’t want the holes in your blades & spaces to small

helper
10/05/2016 at 15:49

Thanks for the heads-up! I have modified the cad files to 25.5mm. A small amount of tolerance will be ok.

I will have to buy a crow bar – I will take my measuring tool in with me to make sure I buy one that seems to be the best fit.

S

starter
11/05/2016 at 05:09

Hi guys
I’m in Moss Vale, NSW
I have been emailing a few places (including the one stated above)
and the best quote i have for the shredder is around $500AUD, this is for the laser cutting.
Does anyone know of some other places or people i could get in contact with that could help?

Thanks
Cam

starter
13/05/2016 at 17:07

Hey guys.
Wayne from Sydney here
One of my colleagues showed me this great idea
I am currently looking closely at designs and costs
Ultimately we would like to build a plant at our school for our Design and Tech subject to enable students to progress all the way through from idea to design to production to market
This will part of our S.T.E.A.M initiative (science, technology, english, arts, maths)
The enviromental aspect is also not only awesome but important.

helper
14/05/2016 at 02:38

Hi Louise from Woolgoolga here, were are currently looking into making the machines with an mechanical engineer friend. Will keep you posted how we go.

new
18/05/2016 at 14:56

watching this thread closely…

starter
10/06/2016 at 03:12

Hello All,

I am in Western Sydney, just came across this great project, I am a mechanical engineer but I can also fabricate as well as design.

You can try http://www.edconsteel.com.au/steel-finder for the hex bar, they have 25.4mm in their catalogue but not sure on availability but they will cut to size for a fee.

I hope to be building the shredder first in a couple of months, im not living at my home currently. I am also interested in making the extruder to make filament for 3D printing and the injector.

starter
05/09/2016 at 06:41

Hi. I’m in Brisbane. Keen to talk to Brisbane/SE Queensland people.

Cheers

Brisbane/Toowoomba people. Greetings!

starter
20/09/2016 at 14:55

Good quality shredder:

Mini shredder

starter
10/10/2016 at 07:31

I can build any machines that you want let me know at [email protected]

helper
20/09/2017 at 10:58

discounted shredder laser cutting group order

Hi all,

I’ve found a laser cutter in Sydney that will lower his price on the shredder parts according to how many sets are ordered in a single go. Please let me know via private message or to my email if you’re local and interested in ordering a set alongside mine.

Stainless is pricier than mild steel but will have a longer life and require less maintenance. Let me know if you’d rather mild steel and I’ll get back to you with an alternative quote. I will give us until 27/09/17 to come together for a group order.

For a single set, their quote in stainless steel is AUD$860 + GST

Thanks,

Diego
Ocean Plastic
+61 451094602
[email protected]

helper
20/09/2017 at 11:00

Edcon steel also has a hex bar of 26.98mm, which I was going to match to the original 27mm center hole shredder components. Does anyone think this is a bad idea? thank you!

starter
23/09/2017 at 06:45

Hi – I am in Brisbane too, currently building a shredder at The Edge here at Southbank. Get in touch if you would like to drop in an chat, or share stories.

Also – we have had a set of parts laser cut and ran into problems with insufficient tolerances in the design – needs about 0.2mm all round to avoid needing a press to put things together. This also caught us out with specifying the diameter of the main axle, rather than relating it to the tolerance needed for an easy fit with the bearings

We adjusted the design to use readily available hex bar (the fabricators had some in stock, and cut it to length, as well as turning down the ends). Much easier to change the dxf’s than try to find EU sized materials.

Also avoided stainless for the materials (difficult to maintain an edge on the cutters was our supposition). On recommendation of the steel workers, we got the blades cut from Bis alloy, and the rest from mild steel. Just need to prime and paint it, and it should be a cheaper option, I think.

Peter

starter
01/10/2017 at 10:14

Hi Simon i sent you an email i hope you get it

Cheers
Derek

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪