We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

band heaters

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Olivier 2 years ago.

dan hettinger lwfbiochar

band heaters

14/08/2017 at 22:07

Anyone have experience with oversizing the 190w spec for band heaters on the injection machine? I understand some of the more affordable (inkbird) PID controllers can be inaccurate and prone to overshooting. I’d like to use the 300W 110V heaters on amazon. ($4!)

Also, is anyone insulating their injection or extruder tubes? I’m thinking about at minimum using some kind of double wall (pipe over a pipe) radiant barrier. What am I missing? Fire hazard?

3 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: band heaters

helper
15/08/2017 at 00:13

Should not be a problem as long as your power supply can handle it..

helper
26/10/2017 at 18:45

In case you’re interested:
This is probably very obvious to most, but I was able to make a much more affordable band heater work for me by using copper shims between the heater and the extrusion tube. I failed to notice in the post I made from earlier that those band heaters were too small for 1″ pipe. I found some on Ebay for 1 1/4″ pipe ($10/each) for much less than those designed to fit over 1″ pipe.
I’m using 200W heaters and so far have seen no issue with overshoot. I really doubt the 300W heaters would be a problem though. I did have some issues with an Inkbird PID SSR latching on me, I just replaced the relay and all is good. I insulated with ceramic wool blanket leftover from another project. This stuff can be bought at heating and air supply houses.
Dont do what I did and paint the barrel…heh

Attachments:

hero
27/10/2017 at 01:53

A more powerful heater won’t be an issue, as long as your PID is properly tuned 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪