Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

Best CAD program

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile gravatar of Pietman Kahl Pietman Kahl 5 days ago.

Profile gravatar of Derek WilliamsDerek Williams
giltron

Best CAD program

12/04/2016 at 11:47

I want to look over the file but i am very new to this may i ask what program is best to view the files.

Profile gravatar of RedGurrillia
12/04/2016 at 14:00

There are different files, witch should make it possible to open them with virtually any cad program. I used SolidWorks 2014 to open them, worked oke, import diagnostics had a little struggle with it, but worked fine anyway.

I used the STEP file, because in my experience those succeed the best, on trying to open the SAT file, my program crashed, and the others can’t be opened by (my version of) Solid Works

Grtz, RedG

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Derek Williams
13/04/2016 at 03:28

I ended up Getting AutoCAD 2017

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Mike Pogson
17/04/2016 at 21:23

I have AutoCAD2017 but it doesn’t recognise any of the files :/ what am I doing wrong?

Toggle replies
18/04/2016 at 08:38

mrpogson open up AutoCAD 2017 then once you are in you will have to select the file through the program it will ask you if you want to convert it you should select yes.

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Mike Pogson
18/04/2016 at 10:12

Thanks @giltron, do I want to open or import the file?

Is it possible to get the file as a .dtd (Design Tools Draw File for use with TechSoft 2D Design)?

Toggle replies
18/04/2016 at 10:22

mrpogson once you have AutoCAD 2017 running on the first page under the Get Started section go through the open files tab.

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Jay
02/03/2017 at 03:18

Slightly unrelated and most likely already known but Tinker CAD is good for on the go and Auto-Desk’s new 3D scanning app for you phone is quite cool. It would be great for this actually, the software is free, and easy to use, designers can create things in plastic, scan it with there phone, and upload it to here as a 3D module that can be view in-browser, with there own instruction on how to make it.

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Carollini M Arpino
30/03/2017 at 19:03

Hi guys, I’m having some problems about the CAD files too. I’ve tried to download the AutoCAD 2017 by different website’s links but in no one of them I could start the download. So, I tried the SolidWorks but it seems that it’s not made for the kind of computer that I’m using now. The operational system of this computer is a Mac OS X 10.6.8
Someone know how can I solve this problem?

Thanks, from Brasil!

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of serge vi
18/05/2017 at 16:30

Hi there,

Anyone knows onshape ? ( onshape.com) . We using it at smartfriendz for our designs and it’s a very good solution for open source project as it’s free for public docs. The main advantages is the ability to design collaboratively, work in browser and the tools are just great ( like solidworks) .
Main disavantage : it’s not open source.

serge

Toggle replies
Profile gravatar of Pietman Kahl
18/05/2017 at 20:35

LibreCAD and QCAD both work great and opens the project files. And it is free

Toggle replies
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.