We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Best motor for shredder.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  K 1 year ago.

slumberlander slumberlander

Best motor for shredder.

18/04/2016 at 15:27

Hi there!

excuse my English.
I m looking for the motor for the shredding machine, And I feel like i need some more info!
It needs to be very slow and very powerful and if possible free/cheap!
the universal electric motor is about 2 kw and 2800 rpm, and obviously needs to be slowed down a lot to reach more or less 70 rpm for shredding purposes!
Also you want the motor to get its start power by is own (no manual help at start)

on the Dave’s shredder video, the motor is mounted with a mechanical slower, and he was lucky to find it all done.

My question is : in what kind of machines will I find the better device for shredding purposes? Washing machines? driller? chain saw?
is there a typical way to seek and mount a motor with a slower?
Any help or tutorial will be brilliant.

Thank you!

8 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
12/05/2016 at 20:44

I saw this post a few weeks ago and was hoping that someone would provide an answer, but it looks like no one else has experimented with different motors.
The basic requirements of the motor are:
*Needs to be strong
*Needs to be slow

In my personal opinion, “Strong” means 1/4HP or more. A washing machine motor usually has 1/4 horse power

Next question, once you have the motor, how can you make it go slow?
The only answer to this is either getting a reductor and adapting it to your motor, or building your own reductor with a pulleys system, like these guys did:

Pulleys RPM calculator: http://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

I decided to just go ahead and buy a 1/2hp motor that already comes with it’s own reductor, like the one Dave used on his Shredder video. It wasn’t cheap (almost $300 motor + reductor), but it was the less painful way to get the motor I needed

starter
28/06/2016 at 16:05

Hi Olivier,
thank you for your answer, unfortunately I had not seen it since now!
But any way, after some searches i ended with the same conclusions, and I order a expensive second hand powerful 2Hp, 50 rpm motor: 225 euros + 40 euros shipping.
Now i have some electrical issues due to the 3 phase electricity needed for this asynchrone motor! Lol, I did not even know that it existed!
But it should be fix soon, I was lucky that the electricity in my studio is old fashion agricultural 3 phases style (usualy electricity is coming on 2 phases in france), still I need a plug, and I m going to add a circuit breaker…

for those who are looking for a good motor in France or in its neighborhood :
http://www.biehler-equip.com/fr/index.php?F=44

Thank you for your answer though!

warrior
11/07/2016 at 20:05

Just fyi, you can bring your motor to an electrician or someone who works with electric motors, and they can convert your motor from tri-phase to mono-phase

starter
12/07/2016 at 19:02

thank you, in The future I will convert it on mono phase, but by now its working perfectly well with the 3 phases, I was realy lucky!
Thank you very much though.
Lets start to save the world! youpi

Attachments:
helper
27/07/2016 at 21:14

hey @slumberlander There is a full forum post and wiki page for those looking for motors.
Forum post

Please post the properties of the motor you found and how it is working.

Also…how is your shredder working? can you give us more details about it?
(en Française aussi et on le traduise 🙂 )

helper
10/08/2016 at 18:12

@slumberlander is that filamaker shredder that you use?

starter
10/08/2016 at 19:07

@ramdhan2805 yes it is filamaker’s shredder, I start my interest for shredding a year ago,months before I discover Dave’s community.
The shredder is smaller than dave’s one but it works perfectly and I m not sure that it is more expensive, plus you will save a lot of time and effort.
On filamaker’s website you have a XXL shredder witch is almost same size then dave’s one. But even if you take the small one, with a powerfull motor you can be shure that the bottle will be destroy :o) no doubt.
The only thing I can see witch is not a good point is that the blade are one milimiter thicker then dave’s shredder (6mm for fila vs 5mm for dave’s) witch will produce larger chuncks…

here is the link to the size of the filamker shredder so you can figure by yourself…

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://filamaker.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/swiss-schredder.jpg&imgrefurl=http://filamaker.eu/product/mini-shredder/&h=7015&w=4960&tbnid=YaEhoUAlyFvJfM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=64&docid=okKYYsZffS6AUM&client=firefox-b&usg=__x8rZ2xm6_bUlbPZ3SruZvMx5fBc=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg1f6CqrfOAhWMExoKHdM5BEEQ9QEIOzAE

@lyricalpolymath Yes I will post details about my motor in your dedicated topic, for now I m far from the studio…

starter
01/10/2018 at 10:49

So if I am correct from this thread what i read is:

The ideal motor specs are:
* needs to be slow 50-70 RPM
* Used 220v power supply, and draws less than 2Kw per hour

* Needs to be “strong” between 1HP-2HP

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪