We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Blown shrink tube machine.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Keith 2 years ago.

Keith toochi84

Blown shrink tube machine.

14/06/2017 at 03:40

Has anyone done research into building a machine that can extrude thin tubes that can be used as heat shrink?

4 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
starter
22/06/2017 at 23:27

A cursory Google search shows that heat shrink tubing is one of many plastics, but not one of the 6 main recyclable ones.

It’s possible that one of those could be used, and I suggest you do some research by cutting some plastic by hand and using a heat gun.

Please report back on the forum once you do so, as it would be good to know of another recyclable use.

helper
23/06/2017 at 08:00

PET bottels are made by blowing. Thats why if you heat them they will shrink.
You could make lines from pet botles and they will be termal shrinkable?
but it still would not be a tube…

warrior
23/06/2017 at 13:55

It’s reather difficult to extrude a tube. you will need a torpedo head with spider leg’s with is a lot of milling. maybe a bit to complex for now…

helper
25/06/2017 at 19:32

@jerzeek

I have an idea of how to machine a nozzle that should work on the PP extruder without any modification (3-4 pieces). It would just screw right onto the existing pipe. Then the extruded tube can go through the cooling tray the same as the filament bath that was recently showcased by @davehakkens

@trent-robertson

Most tubing is made from pet. There are other heat shrink that is made from PVC, but as this is not a safe material to use for the DIY community, I wouldn’t bother trying unless you have a safe way to handle the acid/fume that come from recycling it.

Attachments:
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪