We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Boatbuilding

Tagged: , ,

Bert van Baar debootbouwschool

Boatbuilding

18/03/2018 at 17:05

I am just new hete but is this also one of ‘our’ projects.
http://www.theflipflopi.com

13 replies
2 subscribers
1 saved
3 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Boatbuilding

warrior
12/04/2018 at 03:25

Ey @debootbouwschool, thanks for sharing!
I actually wanted to share it a while ago, as I am involved in this project, but then forgot about it 🙈

Precious Plastic (Community) will be contributing to the project as well:
> A group of students from Nairobi (ISK) will be producing parts for the boat with their Precious Plastic machines
> AND we are planning to have PP machines on board on the trip! ⛵️🙌

warrior
12/04/2018 at 13:22

Actually just been there 2 weeks ago. 🙂
Made some of the handles for the steering wheel when I was there hehe! 🙌
It’s interesting to see how they build a boat in the traditional way (like they do with wood), but just exchanged the material to recycled plastic.

The “small” 7m-Prototype will be floating in water soon! And then it’s about learning from this first experience to improve the process for the big Dhow, which will go on the journey from Kenya to South Africa!

Attachments:

dedicated
12/04/2018 at 16:29

Very cool !

Reminds me of the plastiki, does anyone remember it? It was about 10 years ago.. http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2010/07/dzn_Plastiki-Expedition-boat-by-Exploration-Architecture-for-Adventure-Ecology-6_1000.gif

warrior
12/04/2018 at 20:30

@javierrivera yes, that was actually a main inspiration for the flipflopi project as well 🙂

helper
13/04/2018 at 13:37

Wow ! This is clearly amazing ! We also want to buit a boat from plastic waste, but on a far smaller scale 🙂

Here if I understood well, the beams are made with melted plastic on a moult, then the pannels are made from flip flop glued together ? Do you add wood somewhere for structure integrity or etancheity ?

warrior
13/04/2018 at 14:36

@lagrenouille cool, what kind of boat are you planning to build? 🙂

You can see a bit more about the processes in the Crowdfunding video 🙃

So yep, the big parts (ribs, keel etc.) have been produced with melted plastic in moulds.
And the planks have been produced with an extruder at Ecopost.

No wood involved so far, but they are thinking of reinforcing this prototype with metal parts.
(And as the quality and reliability of the manufacturers wasn’t at the wished level, we are still trying to find a better manufacturer/collaboration for the big boat!)

helper
13/04/2018 at 16:14

We want to built a small motor boat for rivers. As an alternative traveling ways in city crossed by rivers or canals. I will open a topic as soon as we start (probably mid of May).

Our fist intent was to built flat and thin sheets with a press to cover an aluminium structure. But this extruded planks seams incredible, almost like wood on the video. Do you know if they made it with PP extruder ? Do you have pictures of the extrusion die ?

Also how the etancheity is achieved ? Normally with wood planks you assemble them wery dry and humidity expense them sealing everything, but I don’t think it would work with plastic planks.

dedicated
13/04/2018 at 16:42

Also check this out: a boat in the Thames in London made out of plastic to collect plastic waste from the river…

helper
14/04/2018 at 14:04

Very cool!

starter
15/04/2018 at 14:35

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this.

warrior
01/03/2019 at 10:25

Hey everyone! I created this topic for the Flipflopi project, for all explanations and updates! 🙂

starter
22/03/2019 at 03:02

….

starter
28/04/2019 at 23:21

wow looks great guys

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪