We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Bricks

MrComputerSaint mrcomputersaint

Bricks

17/04/2016 at 20:31

What about bricks? To build walls for just a garden wall or house wall perhaps. Easy to compress a brick. I’m not sure how good they’d be for a house. I’m not a builder, maybe a brick needs a bit of breathable space.

16 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Bricks

helper
24/04/2016 at 12:23

Give it a go & let us know how you go @natashasahgal people need to think outside the Square

helper
25/04/2016 at 01:43

Hi. let me help you.
If you see around you, normally plastic pieces are thin. Why?
Because plastics don’t conduce heath well. Many plastics can cystallize. It’s a natural process whaich reorganizes the molecular structure and it’s undesirable. The best way to prevent this is cool down as fast as you can the piece.

You understood?
If you have a piece like a brick it will be very hard to cool. But there is some plastics called amorphous that never crystallize, examples: PVC and PS. If I could Help you, I do not recommend it, you will frustated. Or try with PEAD it’s a possibility.

Sorry for my english, I would love to help you in this project. Let me know any other question you have.

helper
25/04/2016 at 03:49

What about having the brick not totally solid, something like this @marcelozp. Would that make it easy?

@natashasahgal
^^

Attachments:

helper
25/04/2016 at 04:03

Or even make something like a large LEGO brick, partly hollow to assist in cooling, & they could be keyed together for small scale landscape type work.

helper
25/04/2016 at 14:17

Yeah, but plastics usually have 5mm max.

These parts have at last 20mm.

helper
25/04/2016 at 14:18

Give a research about Composite with fibers (something like glass fober) it’s a better idea.

helper
25/04/2016 at 23:23

I like the idea. Plastic bricks? Lighter and thermal efficient? We just think about its shape 😉

helper
27/04/2016 at 11:06

What about roof tiles?

Clipboard or Roof Tile

🙂

helper
28/04/2016 at 14:36

hi @keesdeligt

Here in brazil we have some factories working on PP rooftiles. The major problem is the UV radiation. I don’t know if this injection machine have the power to make such big parts, you have to test it. Try to use a anti-UV addictive it will improve the quality of the material.

helper
03/05/2016 at 06:25

lego brick style room dividers? For google-style creative offices.

Technical Lego style… interactive walls with gears, etc. 🙂

new
10/05/2016 at 15:18

You may want to look up compressed earth brick (CEB) machines

starter
02/06/2016 at 13:37

I think making bricks out of the plastic waste is the best idea on how to use these recycling machines that Dave has introduced. And reasons are simple, poor people will have shelters built out of material which is laying all around and has currently zero value (even for homeless). Making it a possibility to build a decent shelter out of this plastic waste give certain value into it. With a simple and very positive side effect to clean up the land from plastic waste and re-shaping it into more concentrate solid blocks not being spread around the countryside anymore (this applies for construction materials in general – bricks/boards/planks…)

Material is accumulated (unfortunately) by the coasts – which on the other hand, might help with cooling (in sea water).

Making this brick in shape of LEGO hollow brick gives this idea great modularity and space for multiple variations (just imagine how much you can build with normal lego bricks, possibilities are infinite) LEGO brick (lunch box)

UV stability might be a an issue, this would ask for bit more research indeed. Making it a composite (simmilar to WPC for example) might be the way to go here.

Thermal stability (overheating) could be solved by clay/soil filling of those hollow bricks.

In general, turning waste into value is the key. Especially in the 3rd world countries where recycling is not as much involved in economics as in developed ones.

Just one general remainder to whole this project – Keep on marking the type of recycled materials on your new molded product! This way you will easily keep it in recycling loop and not ending as untraceable piece of material.

Regards,
Jozef

new
12/06/2016 at 22:13

I think we can solve the problem of making plastic bricks. Plastic roofing tiles are really good stuff, and easy to make. But we mix 3 part plastic with 10 parts cement to get a stable mix. It is good, as long as thickness lays below 3 cm. When the thickness increases, it just cracks and becomes unhandlable.

But in case of bricks, we can increase the strength by simple trick used in construction industry. Geotextiles are used in construction for soil stablity, but here we use plastic mesh, which is easy to make, and if placed inside a brick, just increases the stablity.

I found this, on my research to make Plastic Dolos (The tetrahedral thing used to make Sea Wall .

new
02/07/2016 at 16:53

Hi,

The idea of bricks is very good. Im thinking of hard plastic block brick for outdoor flooring. Replacing the concrete outdoor concrete, for example car park.

I saw from on of dave’s video he manage to create hard plastic brick block same as wood.

Please share the method and kind of plastic for this project.

Thank you
Guy from Philippines.

new
02/07/2016 at 16:56

Found this

http://www.everblocksystems.com/

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪