We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Build An Extrusion Machine For A School Project

Dupuis guillaumedupuis

Build An Extrusion Machine For A School Project

08/02/2018 at 10:54

Hello !

We are from France, for a school project we need to make an extrusion machine. But we need some specification for components we will use.
Our budget is limited (average 120 €), so we have to find low cost component for approximately the same result.

Here are the list of components we want to use :

Band Heater (4 pcs of 25*30mm 220 V 80 W), 14.80 €

Wood Drill (25*460mm), 15.73€

Thermocouple (5 pcs, max 300 °C), 4.71€. We will make a PID controller with an Arduino.

Relays (5v 220V), 0.56€

LCD Screen, 1.70€. Or LCD screen, 3.29€

2 pcs of Switch, 0.82€

Tube : We already have it

Total : average 40€.

We have 2 issues :

– First : The nozzle, we have to build it, but we don’t know exactly how. Maybe we can use a piece of metal and make a conical shape hole ?

– Second : The motor. I haven’t any specifications about the motor, like the torque, the horse power, etc… But I can’t find a cheap motor with good specifications. Can you hep us please ? Maybe we can use a drill machine to replace the motor, but I think is not made for long time usage.

Thank you for reading, and for your answers.

7 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on date
new
11/02/2018 at 19:50

Hello @dbougas, I’m on my last year of high school, on an engineering section, this is not design, my project is to recycle plastic. And I’m interesting on the machine building and possibilities of the machine afterwards.

my teachers said to use actuator instead of “extrusion screw”(drill here), to extrude the plastic. Here is our experience with a actuator :

Attachments:
warrior
09/02/2018 at 13:24

A wired drill will likely spin too fast (if it’s a hand-held one). Cordless drills spin slower. If it’s variable speed you can use that to slow it down, but it will reduce the power available and you probably need as much as you can get, so best to go for a drill with a low/slow speed gear.

warrior
08/02/2018 at 14:08

@guillaumedupuis

Wow! 40€ That’s pretty good!

What size is your tube? Those band heaters are 25mm inside diameter (same as your drill). It is possible to stretch them a little bit, but if the tube walls are more than 1-2mm thick it may be hard to fit them on.

For the nozzle you have several options. It does need to be well attached to the tube though. Does your school have metal-working tools or welding equipment?

A cordless drill (one with a low gear) might do for a cheap motor, it depends how long you need to run it for.

helper
19/05/2018 at 01:15

Hey Guys!
if you can accept bubbles in the product and batch production, you can even use a car jack that will push the polymer inside the chamber.
another option is to use a big air piston insisting on a small shaft.
8 bars on a 100mm piston insisting on a 25mm chamber will generate 128 bars.
In case you will use a screw I see a few options like:
– a scrapyard motor from a washing machine can do the job if you feel like playing with 3 gears and 2 chains (old bicycle…?), if the washing machine motor rotate at 1-3000RPM, by 2 transmissions 10:1 you will end up at 10-30RPM
– kitchen kneading or calendering machine…?
– electric car jack…?

dedicated
09/02/2018 at 20:29

Hi school project…
Which school and in what sort of curriculum frame?
Technical? Project management? What is interesting for you… The machine building or the possibility of the machine afterwards?
Engineers school or design school?
Waiting for you further result
😃
DiB

@guillaumedupuis

new
09/02/2018 at 16:12

Thank you very much, we will try thes options, we will recieves components in 2-3 weeks, we keep you updated of the progression, bye 🙂

new
08/02/2018 at 19:54

Thank you for your answer,

I have some tubes with differents sizes, I will try these to know which is better, I have a 25mm in-diametre and 27mm out-diametre i think. I will check if I can find an other heater a bit bigger.

And yes they have welding equipments and metal-working tools (they have a CNC machine but without meetal tools sadly…)

And why a “cordless” drill ? A wired drill can work too ?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪