Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Business Plan / Economics

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Brent 1 week ago.

steve joe123

Business Plan / Economics

19/10/2017 at 16:23

I was wondering about the economics of this as a business. What , typically are the start-up and running costs vs sales look like ? I notice the initial idea is dutch so quite high rents for units/ utilities I would imagine and low (ish) product value … are you making ends meet ?

In the developing world I imagine cheaper on the costs but is there a market for the products ?

Anyone like to share their experience in say a first world nation and a developing one. How long before you were in profit ?

Contact details: – email stephen.clark7@googlemail.com

starter
06/11/2017 at 18:36

I’m not sure about the economics…
The thing is: there is so much plastic, there is bound to be a way to make money with it.
I personally am interested only in getting the plastic waste into a form that others maybe could reuse. Especially the 3D printer fillament idea looks good.

There are really three parts/business opportunities here:
* collection
* recycling
* reuse -> art, business, whatever

Toggle replies
starter
12/11/2017 at 01:20

Hi there,

I am looking to fundraise starting costs of around £3k. However, to get this money, I have to create a group or organisation which is more charity than business. However, I’m happy to pursue this route, and I’m looking to create some sort of co-operative.

Part of my issue is that I am very keen to get the project off the ground locally but then it is likely that we’ll be moving abroad in the next few months, so I’m not certain I will succeed in my aims.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Toggle replies
lu
starter
20/11/2017 at 21:18

Well, I don’t see why the starting & running would have to be high and the prodct value low…
You need to get the machines assembled, a space for them to operate and people to operate them. The machines aren’t a great monetary investment if you build them yourself and you can reduce costs byworking with a group of people who are in it for the goal of reducing plastic as a waste/problem and turning it into something more useful and durable.
Rent and utilities can be temporarily resolved in a private space on loan by a non-profit and salaries based on voluntary work untill there are profits to distribute.
You can’t embark on a project like this thinking on money first!

Toggle replies
starter
28/11/2017 at 05:10

Hi Joe, I’ve always failed at business plans and economics so I can’t really say,not to mention I just started looking into building a workspace in Costa Rica, a very non friendly business environment if you want to make money. For me it is about passion,not profit,but hey,most important thing to most people is bottom line. I am just scratching to get enough coin to build a workshop,and hoping enough people are interested to chip in and make it happen. My rewards will be seeing less plastic trash on my beech, kids learning new ideas about how to live and solve problems,recycling instead of tossing.If you find a good business plan and find a way to make good profitable returns,please share them with me so I can pass them on.Peace,prosperity,passion….

Toggle replies
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.