Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Cables

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Barry McDonald 4 days ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Cables

12/01/2016 at 12:49

First noticed this when I walked around in Ghana, the amount of old cables there are laying around. And all of them practically still work, but are just thrown away together with the vacuum cleaner, television, fridge, ventilator, you name it.. Later on in the Netherlands I noticed the same thing is going on, perfectly good cables are thrown away together with the thing. Even when we have detachable cables (used for some televisions and displays) we still throw them away because the new thing automatically comes with a new cable. But most of the time we don’t need a new cable, and although it looks like it, your definitely not getting it for free. “Replace the device not the cable” is an effort to get the ball rolling for this problem. Let me know if you have a better idea!

starter
12/01/2016 at 19:58

Great video! Indeed a problem. I got 3 desk drawers filled with cables I rarely use. So I was thinking. What if I need a cable that I don’t have but somebody else has but doesn’t need. Maybe he or she needs the cable I don’t need.
These days swap meetings are very popular. People trade stuff for other stuff. What if…. What if there are swap meetings for cables.

I’m not good with plastic or modulair electronics but I know how to build a website so my idea was. Why not make a cable swapping/trading website. A website where you can put up an ad in which you say ‘Hey. I need this cable. I offer money/another cable/maybe something else if you have this cable.’ This way you can get the cable you need and the cable they need.
Only problem I see here is shipping. Not very environmentally friendly I know but yeah, it’s something.

Toggle replies
new
14/04/2016 at 16:42

@n-w-b:
Mabey you can think of a community where people can share ideas/projects where they reuse cables for other purposes. Think of cable lampshade, cable coaster, cable ropes etc. The possibilitys are endless.

This is offcourse a quick-fix for our cable problem and does mabey even stimulate the cable industry, But at least we use them instead of throwing them away 🙂

Toggle replies
starter
15/04/2016 at 13:38

@vincent Well was building a website to do something like that but other things came on my path (school stuff) so I need to do that first. Maybe a Facebook page could also do the trick.

Toggle replies
new
13/01/2018 at 00:16

could always cut them off appliances & send them to scrap metal merchant for cash

Toggle replies
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.