Support our newest Precious Plastic campaign 🍌

We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Can machine's outer layer be designed by wood ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Noyes 2 weeks ago.

David davidsharma777

Can machine's outer layer be designed by wood ?

22/10/2017 at 07:18

I’m looking for a possible chances to make mobile version of existing devices from Dave. Since in remote Nepal many wastage are produced i.e bottles from coke, mineral water, tumbler and so on. This is deteriorating good view we could see in the past. So, I think this can be solved if we develop devices that are easy to carry from one place to another. I would appreciate help from mechanical engineers or someone who have already done it. Appreciate your help.

starter
24/10/2017 at 04:40

Not sure what you mean by the ‘outer layer’, but I’m sure you’ll have no problem using wood for the structural parts of the machines i.e. the frame for the shredder. Think of it as a table. If you are good at working with wood or know anybody capable of it, I’d say go for it.

In order for them to be somewhat mobile, it all depends on what you are willing to carry around. You can always add features like casters or dolly wheels to make it easier to move around.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Toggle replies
starter
24/10/2017 at 05:06

Thanks for the message. What I mean by outer layer is what you mentioned, outer frame or hoper. I should definitely find some skill wood workman to design one.

Toggle replies
warrior
24/10/2017 at 08:27

Both the Hopper and Frame (Legs) can perfectly be done in wood, in fact, there are some people who have tested making the shredder box with wood as well, although I don’t recommend it

Toggle replies
starter
02/11/2017 at 07:51

Please be aware of the huge force needed to shred plastics other than LDPE bottlecaps or thinlayered plastic cups and pet bottles. Even extruding needs very strong motors and lowgearing so weak construction of the frames will result in destruction of your gear. Do not let the small and light looking designs from Dave fool you. They are very well designed by him and based on his experience with many experiments who were almost destroyed by these forces. Temperatures of melting plastics can destroy wooden parts easyly when experimenting and high temps are overlooked or skyhigh in case of bad design or the lack of security kliksons when thermocouples break.

Make use of wood for tables, cabinets for storing your gear and plastics but make sure to construct your baseframes from metal parts only and use wood for esthetic and safety purpose wisely.

Love to see your work. Suc6

Boy

Toggle replies
starter
02/11/2017 at 11:05

Heey, I don’t really understand what you’re looking for exaclty, but I have seen a video from Jeremy Fielding on youtube in which he shows how he made a shredder partly from wood. Maybe it will help you? Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pz5kgNbTKA.

Cheers.

Toggle replies
dedicated
02/11/2017 at 13:32

Well made video and he is obviously knowledgeable, but I agree with 12much, this looks too flimsy to work. It would be interesting to see him try and shred something with it though.

Toggle replies
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.