We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Cheap source for Hex Bars

Olivier xxxolivierxxx

Cheap source for Hex Bars

27/02/2018 at 05:19

In case anyone is looking to build multiple shredders or if you have a group buy, I found a pretty cheap source of hex bars.

I was looking at some hardware stores to purchase 1″ hex bar for a shredder but the only one that sold them was a little far so it meant I would have to pay for the cost of the bar plus transport or just going through the hazzle of taking a day off to go and get the bar myself, so I started to look for alternatives.

Thats when I found a Macana/Barreta (I believe you call them Jimmy Bars in US) with exactly 1″ hex shape and a lenght of 1.75m so I went ahead and purchased it right away.
I found several brands such as Surtek (model BAF175), Truper (Model BAP-175), Stanley (Model 55-150) and the best part is that the whole bar costs less than $20 everywhere (except in Costa Rica where I paid $22.60) but the 1.75m Jimmy bar can be cut into 5 shredder hex bars after cutting off both pointy ends from the bar, which means each bar would cost you around $4.52! even cheaper than the $8.74 bar I shared earlier from onlinemetals.com 🙂

Attachments:
9 replies
1 subscribers
1 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
hero
27/02/2018 at 05:23

More pictures. Tomorrow I’ll share some with the bar cut and milled

Attachments:
helper
27/02/2018 at 11:32

verry nice idee

hero
05/03/2018 at 05:15

It was a success 🙂

Attachments:
new
05/03/2018 at 06:45

genial!!!!! sencillamente genia!!!!!

hero
05/03/2018 at 07:54

@atlanteazul A comprar macanas se ha dicho! Y con el vuelto pasamos por unos taquitos

dedicated
05/03/2018 at 11:32

isn’t it possible to replace the hex bar with a square bar ?
It might be easier to find and easier to make than the hexagonal one.

I know the key mechanism is not enough to immobilize the blades in place.
And I know the hexagonal shape is enough to fix the blades in place, with the shear stress shared between 6 points.

Has anyone tried a square bar instead. It can be either cut or milled from a thick enough metal sheet.

hero
06/03/2018 at 08:25

@armbouhali yes, you could use a square tube, and yes, it was already tried.
You would need to modify the knives and spacer files to use a square hole but it’s totally possible.

Here’s a topic about it: http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/where-to-source-your-parts-for-precious-plastic-machines-sorted-by-country/#d4p-bbp-attachment_73938

starter
15/08/2018 at 14:53

I’m curious, is there any reason you’re not using mild steel or A36 hex bar? It’s cheap and pretty available.

hero
19/10/2018 at 21:56

@strangemetalcutting because I live in Costa Rica, “cheap and pretty available” are not words that apply here when it comes to metal 🙂

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪