We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Cleaning Plastics

Cameron Winkler conservationmadesimple

Cleaning Plastics

03/06/2016 at 22:51

Any ideas on how to clean plastics? Food containers, like grape containers, seem to be relatively easy, but things that used to hold olive oil, detergent, or have been covered in dirt and mud are harder to get rid of substances that may be damaging to the shredder. How can you best clean items prior to shredding to protect the shredder and then after being shredded to “clean them” so they aren’t sticky, smelly, or overall dirty for projects that may be near food.

2 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Cleaning Plastics

new
04/06/2016 at 15:25

I just came to the forum to post the same question. I’m particularly interested in environmentally friendly ways to clean them. Specifically, when I look at the plastic bottles in our collection, they generally have the remains of labels, with the glue that was holding the label on. That glue dissolves with acetone, but that’s probably not something I want baths of around. Left over paper or dirt on the shredded plastic might be a fire hazard, and certainly prevents the plastic waste being extruded as a usable filament.

In reply to: Cleaning Plastics

helper
06/06/2016 at 17:53

If i’m not wrong the density of label is around 0,9 and the superficial tension will mae it float. Just shredder everything and put on water. It’s just a opinion I’ve never done it. remember that PET density is around 1,38

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪