We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Cleansing Plastic before Moulding

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Butte Metz 2 years ago.

Anonymous

Cleansing Plastic before Moulding

07/05/2015 at 06:05

Hey guys,

I love this whole website purpose and am on my way to create a filament extrusion machine for PET bottles. One thing that has been bothering me is the cleanliness aspect of the bottles. Along with mud and dust, they might be contaminated with “germs” (trash cans, saliva). I was wondering if there are any good ways to cleanse, sterlize or de-contaminate them ?

Would love to hear your experience on the same.

Thanks all.
Abhinav

11 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
07/05/2015 at 20:13

Thanks! Yes, plastic needs to be clean. We are looking at different ways on how to effectively clean them. Still in development though, do let us know if you have any tips or examples that could be useful. Or stay tuned and wait for us to develop it 🙂

starter
26/09/2015 at 07:54

I am wondering if plastic in the molten or semi solid state will form a skim or a slag layer like with metals? This cant be washed off and I think is caused by UV damage and is when plastic like buckets and drums get old and fade color and develop a dull flakey exterior. Is this non-recyclable plastic?
What to do with it?

starter
07/10/2015 at 23:58

I’m exploring the idea of steaming the pieces. But I’m not an engineer- so my ideas are not very precise.

Have you seen the machines that apply the coating to candy? Something like that but with steam/spray could work.

starter
25/06/2017 at 18:42

Hello Guys,

does anyone have experience with washing plastic or any good examples to share?

@davehakkens
@annamann

Thank you.

helper
25/06/2017 at 19:52

Wouldn’t a basic bleach bath kill anything in regards to any contaminants that could be on/in the bottles.

starter
01/12/2017 at 22:24

Ozone?

starter
04/12/2017 at 22:35

I don’t have experience to share yet, but i have been thinking lots about this, and am imagining it might be easiest to shred the plastic first, and then put it through some kind of bath, like with TSP to clean it?

helper
10/12/2017 at 16:09

@brentzdentz ozone would kill anything alive, but it wouldn’t get rid of the oils, grime etc. besides, ozone is somewhat difficult to get hold of

helper
10/12/2017 at 16:13

@parseraider i think it would be way easier, and not to mention the fact that you would waste a rather large amount of plastic. i would recommend a water bath with soap of some sort and another one to rinse off the soap residue.

helper
10/12/2017 at 16:16

@cloemarite it is definitely not a bad idea, although i would definitely wash of the worst of the contaminants. Good luck 🙂

warrior
11/12/2017 at 04:42

once you melt the plastic like hdpe at 200c it is sterile. You should never use recycled for food items anyways.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪