We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

CLIP IT : creative, educational, sustainable !

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year ago.

mat clipit

CLIP IT : creative, educational, sustainable !

21/06/2018 at 18:18

Hey ! 490 Billions plastic caps are produced  every year :/

We’ve created a small clip (made from recycled caps) that connects plastic caps.Kids collect caps at home, we provide the key to connect the caps together.
We’ve implemented a circular economic model with local cap collecting charity “bouchons d’amour”. Here’s how it works :

Clip it stimulates the children’s creativity and motor skills while raising their awareness of environnemental issues and reducing waste.

The use of plastic bottles needs to end, and we’re thinking about alternatives to plastic, but in the meantime, Clip it is a simple solution to keep caps away from the oceans and landfills.

Our impact so far:
+ 8 millions caps recycled into clips.
+100 000 kids using clip it around the world and learning about upcycling.
+ 2500 schools equipped

Keep up the good work Dave Hakkens 🙂
The Clip it crew

Attachments:
8 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
4 likes
sort on most likes
new
22/06/2018 at 20:05

this is simply the best we’ve seen here since long. making plastic precious by turning them into toys, handed from mother to mother seems a pretty good idea!

might it be possible to open source the mold for the ‘clips’ ? we’d like to reproduce this here down in Spain. And of course we’d like to keep your brand in tact.

thanks in advance,
happy pp

new
25/06/2018 at 08:39

Hello Anne;
Thanks!
We have a European patent for the clips, so I can’t really open source the mold. But I can put you in touch with our distributor in Spain if you are interested . We work a lot with schools, doing workshops like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRo7bVMGDTw

See you !
Mat

new
25/06/2018 at 10:01

a patent for a clip? wow, i didn’t know that would be possible at all.

warrior
25/06/2018 at 23:07

I don’t think a product like this can be patented, or at least a global patent should not be possible.

This same clip design have been used in many small variations for tons of other purposes, so a patent for this product would entitle you to sue dozens of companies that produce similar clips

Plastic Clip Rings – 2.7mm x 10

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/plastic-p-clips-black.html

https://www.chowhound.com/post/rubber-dutch-oven-772886#photo=581848

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-CROCODILE-CLIPS-x12-SMALL-20mm-MINIATURE-ALIGATOR-CRAFT-DIY-HOBBY-/222235442167

http://www.clover-usa.com/es/coser-y-acolchar/105-wonder-clips-50-pieces.html

new
25/06/2018 at 23:59

nice work, Oliver! ok then, time to get a mold ready for this, will post it somewhere else, can’t wait play with that myself, 🙂

new
26/06/2018 at 01:32

@clipit
may be you can tell us a little more numbers in order to help you, i think the PP worlds are pretty far from your achievements, you obviously got all the paperwork done and get the thing people’s table. it would be nice to know how can we help you in the other corners of the world 🙂
g

new
27/06/2018 at 17:53

Hi Oliver, Anne,

I’m afraid we did manage to file a patent for our clipsIt might not seem much, but we did spend quite a lot of time and efforts to make it work 🙂 Not only the product, but also implementing the whole circular economic model, industrial cap recycling process and so on..You might want to try with clips fit for other purposes, it could well work with caps, but our design is patented and brand protected in Europe.

Our objective is to show that sustainable and innovative business models can be viable and profitable. We’d like to encourage similar initiatives (not clip it though), but again on a industrial scale. It will only work for the environnement if it’s big/

We are a french company, so it’s easy to ship clips in Europe, and I can also put you in touch with our Spanish distributor if you wish.

On the long term, we wish to implement production units in different regions of the world. (duplicating the circular economic model too) This will limit the transport impact but also solve the currency rates issues.  It’s already happening in Japan, but we’re looking for partners in South America.

Anyway, I hope you understand my point of view.Have a good day  !!

Mat

new
27/06/2018 at 18:54

@clipit, yes. i see. I hope you understand too that the folks here on ‘Precious Plastic’ (the page you advertised your product 🙂 are basically tackling problems and side effects of the monetary world. It seems obvious that your solution could help the problem but in your particular case, your solution is better in the hands of everybody, not just to feed the owners of some patent. Patents are somehow the problem why we’ve got here in the first place, they kill innovation and are chilling global progress, in the interest of a few only.

IMHO, you should fully open source your solution, charge a small license in the proportions as it’s done with MP3 players and your ship will sail faster and in far more directions. Also, I’d look at developing a small clip making machine for households. That thingy and the license could make way more $$ for you 🙂

needless to say, it takes some risky steps to go opensource but in your case it’s aligned with the ‘goals’ you claim 🙂

sincerely, Guenter

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪