We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Coffee table

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Verena Lindra 1 month ago.

Verena Lindra verenal

Coffee table

30/04/2019 at 05:40

We did a collaboration with several design students to make this coffee table (among other things) happen. Finally!

Attachments:
9 replies
4 subscribers
1 saved
6 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: Coffee table

starter
16/05/2019 at 08:24

Nice stuff!!!

Can you tell us something about that table? What kind of plastic did you use, what technique/machine, temperature…?

Thanks!

starter
02/06/2019 at 05:10

Very nice, @verenal
I second what chenkus stated.  We would all love to see your process behind this.

warrior
02/06/2019 at 08:01

Hi Verena @verenal

“several design students”, it shows, those are some very nice products indeed!

I’m curious about how you welded the hexagons, as using the hot-plate technique only works on straights (like squares). Or is it a trade secret 😉

Also like the mixed technique with the leather.

Well done.

starter
05/06/2019 at 10:02

Hey everyone, I’m so sorry for taking this long to reply. Thank you for your kind words.

So a little story behind the conception of this table :
– A group of interior design students approached us for their school project. They wanted to create something from alternative materials that still fall in the ‘sustainable’ category, thus coming to us.
– We had wanted to make a table or shelf from the get go but our equipments are not very supportive. We’ve only been making small things, 15×15 is the biggest flat object we’ve managed to make so far therefore we decided to combine the hexagons. How ? Still unsure at that point.

Of course @chenkus @msnmck . Pretty much the same technique with Dave’s tutorial, collect, sort, shred (cut with scissors in our case 😂) and then melt. Only the difference is, we use a couple of small household ovens instead of the big rotating one. Things like that are not very easily accessible nor affordable here in Indonesia. And because we want people to be able to relate when they try replicating them at home, we use things that are more common to humanity 😉 We have the injection machine but only use it occasionaly.

Back to the table, each hexagon is made with 50gr of PP and melted at 250 celsius. Because we melt them ‘manually’, we have more flexibility with the patterns. We used a sandwich mold for shaping them (3 layers of steel with nuts and bolts in each corner).
The hexagons are then glued to a thin layer of wood underneath to hold them together. That’s for the table top.

It’s not a trade secret @donald , we all got the knowledge for free after all 😊 I’m not an expert in this but I’ll try my best to answer. For the prototype, we used aluminum frames painted in black. Disappointing, I know lol. Yes, it was very wobbly but hey.. it was only a prototype. Bending the alu was just using force and the edge of a very sturdy bench. But when we made the frames with steel, we needed heat and gradual force. I will have to make sure and get back to you on that because I didn’t do it myself (disappointment #2.. sorry).
The leather was sewn together and attached to the body with a nail looking thing (Idk what it’s called but it looks like one of those magnetic bag clasp).

Our technique is very basic but I hope my reply answers some of your questions. If you’re still unclear about several things just ask away. You know where to find me 😉

starter
05/06/2019 at 10:07

I’ll try to post a more detailed pictures and follow you up on the steel frames, welding etc

warrior
05/06/2019 at 10:21

@verenal

Thank you for your explanation.

Next time maybe only use three legs, way less wobbly 😉

because we want people to be able to relate when they try replicating them at home, we use things that are more common to humanity

I very much like that to.

Most people will only be making one offs, so no need for them to be able to produce on a large scale!

starter
05/06/2019 at 13:20

Next time maybe only use three legs, way less wobbly

I will definitely try that @donald . Thank you!
Yes 😊 a small 600 watts oven will do, one with a timer and temp control though.
Cheers.

helper
18/06/2019 at 03:25

Hey Verenal, beautiful stuff! Can you say a little bit more about the product in the last picture? Combined plastic & leather canister?

starter
25/08/2019 at 05:12

Hi @dhanniga ,
Yes, the last picture was leather combined with plastic canister. Bottom part is just plain  recycled plastic, with a nail looking thing (it’s one of those magnetic bag clasp) for the strap on each side. The top incorporated leather by sewing the fabric and attaching it to the body of the canister by glue.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪