We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Coming to Nepal? Volunteers Needed

• This topic has 19 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Anonymous.
Amanda Summers frugaltravelsnepal

Coming to Nepal? Volunteers Needed

18/06/2018 at 03:22

I looked into this project a couple years ago and was all geared up to start a recycle project from this platform, but I’ve been unable to find support with a mechanical mind.

Now I see how much this website has grown and I’m really excited to be able to help my community. We have a little NGO and several people in the village interested in putting a project together.

I’m a retired widow; I’m not mechanical minded. However, we have a lovely, new guesthouse and host volunteers who come to teach or work on our village projects. Like most NGOs in Nepal, we have a small food charge, but we have broadband WIFI, battery back-up electricity and solar hot water, so it’s a much nicer village stay than most Nepali can offer. We even go to Kathmandu weekly be minivan and our volunteers come with us at no charge.

Attachments:
19 replies
5 subscribers
1 saved
3 likes
sort on date
helper
21/06/2018 at 20:43

Hey @frugaltravelsnepal,

I was just in Nepal from September to December. An amazing country with real need for recycling.

I, unfortunately, have committed to a PP project in Dominica for the next few months. However, I did set up and budget a school build project in Nepal and understand some of the difficulties with working within such a country and as I said I am working in Dominica setting up a project. I have a full budget that we can modify on a call and shape to give you an idea of the costs behind your plan if you are interested?

Its a shame your project didn’t come up sooner! I’d have been there in person, but I will provide as much support as I can!

Rory

hero
21/06/2018 at 18:11

Welcome to Precious Plastic @frugaltravelsnepal
Here are some community members from Nepal and around the world who might give you a hand:

@sagarpthk

@samdrje

@tribesh

@samdrje

@davidsharma777

@rorydickens

@karlosc

@luckyan89

04/07/2018 at 17:18

it’s no different here in europe, paying up 1000-2000 euro per machine is the price when buying them just. unfortunately Precious Plastic project owner ‘Dave Hakkens’ gave a quite  inaccurate picture, a picture which might be valid when building this machine yourself, and only under extreme good conditions like a good scrap yard with good prices!
even if you build it your self, you’re still up to heavy prices for the components so you eventually save 30% for labor but seriously, it’s a trick ! if you build it your self, you will have to free 6-8 weeks full-time to get this to work; rarely one of us in the working class can effort this. so you are better off to get this done by an experienced machine builder.  at the end of the day, you are looking at large professional or industrial equipment and trust me, that are no toys! you want to be sure it stands the next 4-6 years, otherwise you keep paying for replacing parts, just like with buying a cheap car which at the end cost you the double, simple as that.

i empathized this often enough but let me put this simple: the PP team did nothing about concerns of machine builders and so that’s why we are wasting our time with this kind of discussions 🙂

starter
21/06/2018 at 22:10

Hello! @frugaltravelsnepal
Can I ask you which village are you talking about? I mean the name of the village just to know the proximity of it with KTM.

Anyways my plan is to commence this project from kathmandu as plastics has becoming a huge problem here. I wanted to build a little bigger version of it so that it can shred and recycle more plastics following the blueprints.

I and my friend is doing  farming near Tokha with more than 2 acre of land where we have ten tomato tunnels and 2 cow sheds and also a fish farm. It is near to Grande hospital. As it is an integrated farming  and we are trying to make this place a fully functional workshop to conduct different type of  R and D  stuffs considering living a minimalist lifestyle minimizing the footprints. We are constantly discussing about how we can best utilize the place and make it an exemplary work station for enthusiasts like ourselves.

I will be posting some cool pictures of our farm for the people who are interested in working together in this project if they wish.

WKR,
Sagar

starter
21/06/2018 at 20:03

We are working on Precious Plastic Project here in Kathmandu. We are just getting started. Any kind of support and participation in the project will be highly appreciated. It’s so good to hear kind words about Nepal.

starter
21/06/2018 at 17:10

Neeraj,
No, I don’t have it. Our village with at least two guesthouses wanting to get involved in this, is looking to join with others to get a project going in Nepal to clean it up.
Anyone who would like to join us to start a project in Nepal please let me know. I’ll help anyone in whatever way I can.
I would like to start a crowdfunding project with others. I have a Nepal NGO and US banking. I also have someone with a US nonprofit who is willing to help with fundraising, as well. We have a women’s initiative making handicrafts, so we have some lovely ‘thank you’ gifts.
Nepal is so beautiful already. Imagine how lovely it will be.

Attachments:
starter
21/06/2018 at 16:25

so do you have a recycling plant or so?

06/07/2018 at 16:56

@sagarpthk could you please clarify your personal issues via private message with the OP ? Let’s try to keep this place here clean from offtopic accusations or subjective projections. Thanks 🙂

g

starter
06/07/2018 at 08:53

@frugaltravelsNepal Haha! Look who is in the bad mood. I am totally out of your way. I think you will help Nepal to get rid of plastics even without having penny in your pocket.

Now how do you pull this project?
–> By begging with Dave or any other funders  and show 80% of expenses on the administrative expenses and remaining in the projects. OH! then there will be overheads too.

You made me response like this Ma’am. I apologize if I offended you but I am a full time worker and a changemaker. I don’t buy on what these fake NGO’s has to say and I am not involve in this crap too.

My way of doing thing is different than yours and I am not in your way. Neither do you have any authority to tell me subversive.You don’t even know who I am.

I just told the way you have expressed the project to pull out seems complex to me and I am just trying to simplify it. Those who are interested can contribute to build the sample one and than talk with concerned bodies to support. I am thinking in a macro level and genuinely try to eliminate this problem of plastic.

It is a globalized world and we are international citizens. We think beyond boundaries and try to reverse the damages done by us humans and to make it more hospitable.

Little knowledge is dangerous. Grow up and widen your thoughts. If you have genuine interest you will be learning many things from me and my effort in making Nepal plastic free. I am millenial and you are outdated by your thinking abilities but don’t worry I can update you with my knowledge and wisdom with my humbleness and utmost care.

I am tough and little hard to convince but inside I am a beautiful person.

You are welcome !

starter
06/07/2018 at 06:28

@anne-barbier  Thanks so much for your advice. I think may Dave Hakkens should maybe get some financing or something. I do appreciate this site and see a lot of good to come.

I have to find money that isn’t already in my own pocket for this. We tried working with a nearby engineering college, but they couldn’t seem to be able to do it.

starter
06/07/2018 at 05:35

Interesting that I’d get such a response. I love Nepali so much; I can almost always see right through them-not because I’m so smart but because they are not complicated.

@Sagarpthk
I am quite surprised by your rudeness. I have a registered NGO in Nepal. Is it genuine? i am pretty sure it is. And, yes, NGOs need to have a positive cash flow or they cannot do their work. You are the person who always comes in and destroys what people are working hard to do. Many would call you a ‘subversive.’ I will not be involved in anything you have a leading role in because you are a person who only knows how to tear down. I am an American on my own retirement. I use that money to pay 5 salaries in Nepal and have yet to spend anything on myself out of any profit. Hey, I’m an old lady; what do I want for myself? You are one of those Nepali who give all a bad name. When tourists who come here to help Nepal and bring their own money and ask their family to give money for Nepal and then one of you social workers or other Nepali do everything to extract as much money from us as possible before kicking us to the curb or after taking a ‘first-timer’ to Nepal and convince them of something illegal for tourists to do-like work, and then when you are through with them you turn them in to the tourist police for working on a tourist visa.

@Sagarpthk
I suggest you get out of the way so we can help to heal Nepal of so much plastic. Maybe you were just in a bad mood when you saw my post. If so, no problem. Let’s all work together and if the old tourist lady gets to keep a rupee for a few minutes it shouldn’t be a problem, either.

@frugaltravelNepal I don’t know where are you taking but I have just volunteer in some of the GENUINE NGO’s and not the one who are mostly involved in making money leveraging on people’s problem. I didn’t get your math either.

starter
04/07/2018 at 18:52

@frugaltravelNepal I don’t know where are you taking but I have just volunteer in some of the GENUINE NGO’s and not the one who are mostly involved in making money leveraging on people’s problem. I didn’t get your math either. I am just asking whether you are interested in investing in making our first machine. If we are able to make one and demonstrate, I can talk with government bodies and seek for funding to help distribute the machine to the communities. I think first you have to take action and seek for help if needed. Ofcourse you can build business out of it and make profits in long run if you continue to help communities, minimizing footprints and create employment. We can build our own workshops later and can make our own machines being more innovative on working on ideas that can help minimize environmental footprints for the generation to come.

@anne-barbier to some extent you are right. Price depends on the resources available in your geographical territories.

I am still searching for reliable vendors who can do good works and charge reasonably.

But more or less there are not much differences. The important thing is that you have to dedicate your time to research on and off the field to verify if its true.

04/07/2018 at 17:28

if i’d be you, i’d start sourcing the components, things you can’t really do your self, the most of the PP machines are only assembly of expensive parts. just make sure you buy nice, not twice ! any machine builder/taller/shop next to you can assembly it with basic tools like an angle grinder, small electrode welder and the usual hand and power tools, nothing special, just bloody exhausting long work.

starter
04/07/2018 at 16:47

$7-8,000 seems like a lot of money for Nepal. That means each machine costs $2,000. I thought this was supposed to be affordable for developing nations. Hopefully, we will be able to make these at a reasonable price.

I have a registered NGO in Nepal and a link to a nonprofit agency, 501c tax deductible for US citizens. I’d like to see everyone do a crowdfunder together or if separate, make it uniform so we can help each other with each step. I know it’s difficult for Nepali to get funds because they are limited with online banking.

I have just started a women’s knitting group where we’re making high-quality, 100% woolen hats and gloves. For a donation of just $30 we will send a nice set as a thank you gift. I’m happy to use the women’s group to provide the gifts. We use the Nepali postal service, which is really cheap, so it makes a great value for donors. Just a hat alone can sell for as much as $45, but we can provide a nice set at a low price and only the best quality. If we did a joint crowdfunder we can put 2,000 NRs. per set into the group effort.

We could even draw straws to see who would get funded first. The first person could begin to put a small amount into helping the next person, and then the second person will also put a bit in and then both will be helping the third person, and so on. We could even start with this closed group of 7-8 on this platform, then after they are all funded we could start a coop type of company and franchise the system to others. We’d need to brand it well and make this a viable business.

Please comment. I seriously have no mechanical abilities whatsoever. We, at Kay Garnay for Nepal, are committed to helping in any way we can.

starter
04/07/2018 at 09:25

Hello All,

I want to know if anyone in our group who are interested in setting up precious plastic in Nepal are willing to invest in building all four machines.

If any one of you are interested than I will send you the quotations for building or buying a machine out here. The blade for shredder can’t me made here though, for which we need to import or head south to find the one that can build it but not here in kathmandu.

If we contribute a small investment than we can make/buy the first machine. After that we can look for the funding to mass produce it in our own ways to create a business, out of which we will be contributing for less plastics to end up in landfill. This will not only help the community but also the government.

Currently I have been researching with the vendors who can make and supply to build the machine in first place. I have to compare all the prices provided by different vendors and analyze them if there are significant variation in margin without compromising the quality of the machine.

Just for the record, tentatively I came to know it will cost around (700000 – 800000) Nrs to build all the four machine.

Let me know what you all have to say and if those who have researched could build it in less price.

Also let me know if you are willing to invest in our first machine.

Cheers !

helper
28/06/2018 at 05:40

@frugaltravelsnepal

I just posted a rate card and budget calculator on a different thread for this kind of project to help you understand your budget. The link is here.

I would start by finding the items on the rate card and their costs. If you have any questions please reach out.

starter
28/06/2018 at 03:57

In order to move forward I think I would need to have some Nepal costs for building the machines. Does anyone have that information? If I can get the help maybe I can write something that everyone can use.

starter
27/06/2018 at 20:54

Hello  @frugaltravelsnepal

My name is Daniel Wollin and i am currently in the process of building Precious plastic machines in Sweden alongside the newly founded ngo Precious Plastic Sweden. Our aspiration is to help communities with experience and knowledge revolving PP as well as funding for the projects.

I am currently in contact with Ram Silwal who is expedition leader at Royal Beach Nepal approximately 50 km west from Katmandu. Nothing is decided as of yet but we are talking about setting up Precious Plastic in their community in order to combat plastic pollution as well as to provide for a means of income for some of the inhabitants. How and when this will happen has not been discussed yet, but we hope to set something up in Nepal around december/january.

Just thought you and anyone else that is interested in Precious Plastic in Nepal would be interested to know this and maybe cooperate?

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel

starter
23/06/2018 at 22:04

Our village, Changunarayan, has the oldest Hindu temple still in use in Nepal. It’s a lovely community with shopping, hiking trails, 5-day trekking routes and plenty of fresh air with gentle breezes and nice views of Kathmandu. We are a few km. beyond Bhaktapur on the Nagarkot side of the valley. I’m a retired widow from the US living here full time and using the village as my retirement plan, so have a different motivation than most.
I’ve been thinking about putting some sort of gathering together that will make the trip out of Kathmandu more enjoyable. A couple months ago the others in the village working on helping the village and we at the Star View Guest House had a pizza party, sleep-over with our weekly village clean up on Sat. morning. We could do something like this if others would like to come and enjoy an evening and then discuss/network the next morning.
My idea and what I think others here are thinking: Lets join forces and do a group project. Maybe that means creating 5-10 workshops and crowdfund together. I think I may have a US tax deductable ability, as well as some lovely handicrafts from our women’s group for thank you gifts. We could even brand it and create something to really help Nepal.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪