We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

completely new OS?

landshark landshark

completely new OS?

05/08/2014 at 21:05

I think Phonebloks should have a completely new OS as it is a completely new phone. I was thinking something along the lines of Blocks OS, or BOS.

41 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on date

In reply to: completely new OS?

new
20/11/2014 at 18:03

That sounds like a viable option, but I’m not sure they would view it as practical. They would probably contract for other popular OSs, seeing as they aren’t interested in developing their own claim to fame as much as making a phone that’s all about the consumer and their choice

26/10/2014 at 21:16

Digassmen wrote: The internal memory, because u could be able to change it, i dont like a lot the memory cards because they can be big in space but some apps dont go to the memory card completly just some data like viber 30 mb in internal memory and the conversations and others are recorded on the sd card, which i dont like a lot, thats why phonebloks should have memory bloks of a minimum of 8gb instead of 2 gb that dont work for anything This I think is indeed true. There should be a internall memory to store the OS which is easly acsesable via Mirco USB.

19/09/2014 at 01:01

Digassmen wrote: The internal memory, because u could be able to change it, i dont like a lot the memory cards because they can be big in space but some apps dont go to the memory card completly just some data like viber 30 mb in internal memory and the conversations and others are recorded on the sd card, which i dont like a lot, thats why phonebloks should have memory bloks of a minimum of 8gb instead of 2 gb that dont work for anything yes, it definitely should have the option for 8gb, maybe even 16. But they should definitely have more lower end options across the board.

starter
19/09/2014 at 00:37

TheFuture wrote: Could you rephrase that? The internal memory, because u could be able to change it, i dont like a lot the memory cards because they can be big in space but some apps dont go to the memory card completly just some data like viber 30 mb in internal memory and the conversations and others are recorded on the sd card, which i dont like a lot, thats why phonebloks should have memory bloks of a minimum of 8gb instead of 2 gb that dont work for anything

18/09/2014 at 23:22

Digassmen wrote: Why are u being such a child, ok, it comes in bloks, at least bloks of 8gb, can u grow up? Could you rephrase that?

starter
16/09/2014 at 18:06

Kindred wrote: You forgot that Phonebloks are modular phones and you can replace your memory block for a better one? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Why are u being such a child, ok, it comes in bloks, at least bloks of 8gb, can u grow up?

new
16/09/2014 at 16:05

Digassmen wrote: The only thing that I really care about is the memory, cause if it comes with just 2 or 6 gb of memory I’ll be upset, at least 8 gb as a start You forgot that Phonebloks are modular phones and you can replace your memory block for a better one? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

starter
16/09/2014 at 15:59

The only thing that I really care about is the memory, cause if it comes with just 2 or 6 gb of memory I’ll be upset, at least 8 gb as a start

16/09/2014 at 15:28

Even if it were possible to achieve in a short time and with the resources available to Phoneblock a new OS that can compete with Android (which I doubt strongly) Toale we should also consider the lack of a software ecosystem behind, ergo you may not use any of the app we’re used to, other than those available from bowser (FB, Twitter, YouTube) in the form of web app.

15/09/2014 at 23:31

Getting back on track, I don’t think most people will find problems on the OS front. Considering that Phonebloks and most (if not all) related projects are about customisation and freedom (yes, reducing waste as well), I think we’ll be able to choose from multiple OSes, like Android, Firefox, Ubuntu, maybe even Windows Phone.I just hope that the OSes are distributed digitally and not as a block, because I don’t want to waste space with a block performing a feature which can be downloaded already, unless the block is 1×1 or something. I would absolutely love to see dual-boot capabilities out of the box as well. On the subject of iOS, Apple won’t go for it, I can pretty much guarantee you that (and I will gladly eat my words if they publicly announce the contrary). They /really/ like control of their products, and so having a phone built for the consumer’s preference seems more like something they’d be dead-set on destroying rather than supporting. I do have an iPhone 5 and I do like it, especially in its jailbroken state, but it’s not customisable on the same level of Android. Hey, if iOS 10 or something matches Android’s level of customisability, well, you can send me to a bar and call me Wendy. I wouldn’t put money on it, though.

new
15/09/2014 at 22:21

Digassmen wrote: Omg, this guy is super cool by saying that, I just wont buy the phone if it has a bad software, that was just a joke, I first will let a month pass and see the reviews of phonebloks, even if it is android I’ll buy, come on we are in the real world, just because it is android do u think I’m not going to buy it? I’m in this community for a long time, longer than u probably so I’ll buy the phone probably, just going to see first the reviews about and if they come good or ok I’ll buy it, come on, is the first modular phone Ok, I don’t want to let this lead to an argument, but that was a really bad joke.

starter
15/09/2014 at 20:50

Kindred wrote: Oh my God, this guy just dropped a modular phone everyone’s waiting for and picks an overprices iPhone… Your choice though. Omg, this guy is super cool by saying that, I just wont buy the phone if it has a bad software, that was just a joke, I first will let a month pass and see the reviews of phonebloks, even if it is android I’ll buy, come on we are in the real world, just because it is android do u think I’m not going to buy it? I’m in this community for a long time, longer than u probably so I’ll buy the phone probably, just going to see first the reviews about and if they come good or ok I’ll buy it, come on, is the first modular phone

new
15/09/2014 at 18:22

Digassmen wrote: Ok, if phonebloks comes with android I’m not going to buy it, I want a new phone, an originals one a different phone, not a copy of all the phones in the world, if phonebloks comes with android, I will buy an apple, I only will buy phonebloks if it comes with a os not being android, sorry guys but android it’s too bad for me, it is in all phones and it is not original, and I think releasing a new generation of phones, saying – this is the new generation running android – people will say – its just another phone – that’s why I think they must build a new os or there won’t be any hype for new outcomers, people who don’t know the phone Oh my God, this guy just dropped a modular phone everyone’s waiting for and picks an overprices iPhone… Your choice though.

starter
15/09/2014 at 15:39

DJHamilton wrote: You’d buy an iPhone because you think Android isn’t original? That’s… okay then.Anyway, people will most definitely not think of Ara as “just another phone” just because it runs Android. Nobody would possible ever think that. Especially not of the (first) modular smartphone. And how could you not have expected it to run Android this whole time, I mean, it is being developed by Motorola.If they were to spend the LARGE amount of time, money, and resources to develop a fully functional, working OS for this phone, people would be hesitant to buy it anyway. That, and it would have to be much better than Android for people to consider it. Besides, on a modular phone, with such a variable OS as Android can be, I think it’s perfect that these phones will run it. U have ur opinion and I respect it, but I will stay with what I’ve said, ive said in the previous post that it wouldn’t be original, because u have to agree, most of the phones in the world are android, and some don’t pass from a certain version, and I think that doing android bloks wouldn’t be smart, just sayin, I also agree that it would cost a lot to build a new os, but at least if anything happened to android, phonebloks wouldn’t have any problem cause the software would be from them

15/09/2014 at 03:47

Digassmen wrote: Ok, if phonebloks comes with android I’m not going to buy it, I want a new phone, an originals one a different phone, not a copy of all the phones in the world, if phonebloks comes with android, I will buy an apple, I only will buy phonebloks if it comes with a os not being android, sorry guys but android it’s too bad for me, it is in all phones and it is not original, and I think releasing a new generation of phones, saying – this is the new generation running android – people will say – its just another phone – that’s why I think they must build a new os or there won’t be any hype for new outcomers, people who don’t know the phone You’d buy an iPhone because you think Android isn’t original? That’s… okay then.Anyway, people will most definitely not think of Ara as “just another phone” just because it runs Android. Nobody would possible ever think that. Especially not of the (first) modular smartphone. And how could you not have expected it to run Android this whole time, I mean, it is being developed by Motorola.If they were to spend the LARGE amount of time, money, and resources to develop a fully functional, working OS for this phone, people would be hesitant to buy it anyway. That, and it would have to be much better than Android for people to consider it. Besides, on a modular phone, with such a variable OS as Android can be, I think it’s perfect that these phones will run it.

starter
15/09/2014 at 02:15

Ok, if phonebloks comes with android I’m not going to buy it, I want a new phone, an originals one a different phone, not a copy of all the phones in the world, if phonebloks comes with android, I will buy an apple, I only will buy phonebloks if it comes with a os not being android, sorry guys but android it’s too bad for me, it is in all phones and it is not original, and I think releasing a new generation of phones, saying – this is the new generation running android – people will say – its just another phone – that’s why I think they must build a new os or there won’t be any hype for new outcomers, people who don’t know the phone

14/09/2014 at 23:58

DJHamilton wrote: An idea of OS Bloks has been brought up quite frequently. I, personally would prefer Vanilla android on my Ara phone, but I know some other people might not. Considering Motorola is making this, it’s either going to be a Motorola skinned version of Android (unlikely), or just Vanilla Android (most likely). I’d personally be fine with either, but the idea of interchangeable OS Bloks is always cool! Considering that Motorola has been sold to Lenovo, and the ATAP group that’s developing ARA is nowoperated by google. I suspect that we will be seeing a stock Android experience similar to what’s on a Nexus device.

14/09/2014 at 20:12

An idea of OS Bloks has been brought up quite frequently. I, personally would prefer Vanilla android on my Ara phone, but I know some other people might not. Considering Motorola is making this, it’s either going to be a Motorola skinned version of Android (unlikely), or just Vanilla Android (most likely). I’d personally be fine with either, but the idea of interchangeable OS Bloks is always cool!

14/09/2014 at 20:09

Konnaz wrote: Yes that’s quite right. Companies want to make money so they will make sure that the OS they choose will make them the most money. To make the most money they cater to what the average consumer wants. The average consumer wants something they are used to.Someone who runs a Linux OS isn’t really an average consumer. I think that to get these emerging OS’s to the average consumer they need to make it easier to install them onto the device.At the moment to install a custom OS on your average Android device, you need to root the phone then unlock the bootloader (resulting in voided warranty). Then go through all this flashing nonsense. Then depending on the developer that ported the OS to you device it may or may not work.The Average consumer doesn’t want to fiddle around with all that, they just want to press a button and know that it will work. You have not understood my reasoning: it is obvious that the average user can not and does not want to perform complex operations to choose the operating system, and in fact I had hoped it was PhoneBlocks to sell at least some of the devices with OS commpetitivi although alternative. And, for this purpose, would be suitable for me Ubuntu Touch or FirefoxOS.Ps A little OT: it is no longer true that Linux is a system for geeks. My whole family uses it, and between them there is a woman 84 years old ๐Ÿ™‚

14/09/2014 at 14:07

If the OS was Android the support for it would be run through Phonebloks or whoever develops the software. Android would just be the base to start developing on top of. Nothing more than that. To get everything working on the hardware would be done by Phonebloks, therefore if you have bugs or feature requests etc. you would contact Phonebloks. You wouldn’t contact the Android team because they haven’t been working on the software you end up with.I don’t know who you contacted about your Wi-Fi issue and what Samsung phone you have but I can say that if you contacted the Android team, you contacted the wrong people.

starter
14/09/2014 at 13:38

I have to say that if windows phone software was a choice it isn’t anymore, windows is going to shut down Nokia and windows phone, which the 2 have a great name in the market, and turn into simply windows, so I don’t know if there is going to be a good future for windows phone, and android, I have said everything, maybe it is really good, but I think it should be a new os because then the community would be smaller, and if there is a bug, then it would be more easier to solve it cause we could just simply put on phonebloks forum, like we are doing right now, if it is an android or other things, contacting the support will take a lot of time and the bug may never be solved, and a good thing to to be a phonebloks software is that they could create a new blok, every 1.0, 2.0, 3,0 versions, making it easier to change other specifics cause one thing that I don’t like is the principal of old phone or devices, at a certain point the os doesn’t update higher, like an iPad 1 that only goes to ios 5 and older android phones that are in an old version, that’s why I want a new software, more control, features, and support, I don’t want android cause I tried to contact once because of a problem and they never ever answered back

14/09/2014 at 10:19

Yes that’s quite right. Companies want to make money so they will make sure that the OS they choose will make them the most money. To make the most money they cater to what the average consumer wants. The average consumer wants something they are used to.Someone who runs a Linux OS isn’t really an average consumer. I think that to get these emerging OS’s to the average consumer they need to make it easier to install them onto the device.At the moment to install a custom OS on your average Android device, you need to root the phone then unlock the bootloader (resulting in voided warranty). Then go through all this flashing nonsense. Then depending on the developer that ported the OS to you device it may or may not work.The Average consumer doesn’t want to fiddle around with all that, they just want to press a button and know that it will work.

14/09/2014 at 09:44

[quote]No-one is going to move to an emerging OS unless it can do all the things that this previous one can do. They will also need to have support from large companies to get their name out as a decent OS.When Windows Phone OS came out they had their software on Nokia, Samsung and even HTC phones. Nokia is now the only one that seems to be making Windows phones because the software couldn’t compete with Android or iOS. Don’t get me wrong, they did sell them, just not in the numbers that Android sees.I personally would find more sense in sticking with an OS that everybody knows but have an option to change to other OS’s officially because there will be people who prefer a lesser known one. Or maybe have an option when someone first boots up their phone to choose out of a list of supported OS’s[/quote]I’m sorry but I do not agree with everything you said. It is not always true that companies do not point to a specific product (the OS, in this case) because it is less competitive: In Italy (my country) Windows Phone motorcycle is used, so as to be more prevalent in Ios. Another example might relate to the world of computers: there are Linux OS like Ubuntu that now are better than Windows for graphics, usability, stability, customization, etc. Yet there are few azende selling PCs with Ubuntu pre-installed.Obviously, the choices will have to do ‘company, and certainly not me, but I think it would be useful to at least make buyers choose from a range of compatible OS.

14/09/2014 at 08:30

Digassmen wrote: U say Samsung is not bad, I have one that has the same bug as a lot of other samsungs, an wifi bug, that gives an error if u try to turn on the wifi, which makes restart the phone and it is really annoying, and it is also a problem of the software, and which software it is? Android, that’s why I don’t like android, I can give u a lot of reasons why android sucks, cause I’ve experienced android for 2 years already, maybe it’s not a lot but is already enough to know andoid’s problems, that’s why I want an own software from one brand, that if there is a bug or something, it’s more easy to fix, cause there is only one model of that is it and not millions of models, that the only reason I want a new software, speed and quality on the hand of the customer I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience with Android, it really is a great OS. Myself and my family all run android and have had no problems at all. The software that the companies use is based on the open source software that Google releases, so if you say that that there is a bug with Wi-Fi, please blame Samsung for that. Samsung designed and built the hardware, so they should make sure that the software that they put on it runs properly and has no bugs.And yes I did say that Samsung isn’t bad. My Dad has an S4, and although I think Touchwiz is absolutely atrocious. It works well and he hasn’t encountered any bugs, or had anything to complain about. That might be due to it being a flagship model though.The bottom line is, please don’t hate on Android when it is Samsung’s job to make sure that the software works. Android is the base for their software. In my opinion they shouldn’t even call it Android.28Ashwin wrote: There are currently two operating systems used in the mobile, Android and Apple, followed at a great distance from Windows Phone. All three are developed by large companies and have an ecosystem of apps and developers behind. After OS are no longer updated by the companies that produced them (Symbian and Bada), OS decadent like Blackberry10, and many emerging OS: Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish OS, Tizen.It makes sense to produce a new operating system, considering that many of the listed operating systems can rely on a large community behind it and have interesting features?I would find it rather more sense to choose an OS emerging, in particular Firefox or Ubuntu OS Touch.Ps I apologize for my bad English ๐Ÿ™‚ No-one is going to move to an emerging OS unless it can do all the things that this previous one can do. They will also need to have support from large companies to get their name out as a decent OS.When Windows Phone OS came out they had their software on Nokia, Samsung and even HTC phones. Nokia is now the only one that seems to be making Windows phones because the software couldn’t compete with Android or iOS. Don’t get me wrong, they did sell them, just not in the numbers that Android sees.I personally would find more sense in sticking with an OS that everybody knows but have an option to change to other OS’s officially because there will be people who prefer a lesser known one. Or maybe have an option when someone first boots up their phone to choose out of a list of supported OS’s

13/09/2014 at 20:02

There are currently two operating systems used in the mobile, Android and Apple, followed at a great distance from Windows Phone. All three are developed by large companies and have an ecosystem of apps and developers behind. After OS are no longer updated by the companies that produced them (Symbian and Bada), OS decadent like Blackberry10, and many emerging OS: Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish OS, Tizen.It makes sense to produce a new operating system, considering that many of the listed operating systems can rely on a large community behind it and have interesting features?I would find it rather more sense to choose an OS emerging, in particular Firefox or Ubuntu OS Touch.Ps I apologize for my bad English ๐Ÿ™‚

starter
13/09/2014 at 16:25

Konnaz wrote: Samsung’s phones aren’t bad, it’s that bloated software on top of Android that’s the problem. I have just bought a Nexus 5 and I’m absolutely loving it, untouched Android is the way to go. If this Phonebloks phone couldn’t run android then it’s a simple no from me, simple as that.Why develop something new when there is a great open-source platform that’s known by a lot of people. U say Samsung is not bad, I have one that has the same bug as a lot of other samsungs, an wifi bug, that gives an error if u try to turn on the wifi, which makes restart the phone and it is really annoying, and it is also a problem of the software, and which software it is? Android, that’s why I don’t like android, I can give u a lot of reasons why android sucks, cause I’ve experienced android for 2 years already, maybe it’s not a lot but is already enough to know andoid’s problems, that’s why I want an own software from one brand, that if there is a bug or something, it’s more easy to fix, cause there is only one model of that is it and not millions of models, that the only reason I want a new software, speed and quality on the hand of the customer

13/09/2014 at 15:03

Konnaz wrote: Samsung’s phones aren’t bad, it’s that bloated software on top of Android that’s the problem. I have just bought a Nexus 5 and I’m absolutely loving it, untouched Android is the way to go. If this Phonebloks phone couldn’t run android then it’s a simple no from me, simple as that.Why develop something new when there is a great open-source platform that’s known by a lot of people. Yeah the bloated software always annoyed me :/

new
13/09/2014 at 11:09

Konnaz wrote: Maybe if Cyanogenmod got on board. I really want a fast phone and their theme engine could help with that. Maybe they could ship the OS with a theme built in. You could change it obviously, but for most users they would be happy with what they get and wouldn’t want to change anything.And you get all you Android apps because they used the Android OS as the base of their software. Cyanogenmod would be great too. ๐Ÿ™‚

13/09/2014 at 01:33

Digassmen wrote: I understand, it’s just because of Samsung I have a bad relationship with android, just because of Samsung, for anyone who is out there reading this, do not ever buy a Samsung, Samsung is a brand of TV not phones, they messed all their brand, Samsung as the worst phones ever Yea Samsung sucks

13/09/2014 at 00:35

Maybe if Cyanogenmod got on board. I really want a fast phone and their theme engine could help with that. Maybe they could ship the OS with a theme built in. You could change it obviously, but for most users they would be happy with what they get and wouldn’t want to change anything.And you get all you Android apps because they used the Android OS as the base of their software.

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing ๐Ÿ’ช