We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Compression Moulding – Condom Carriers

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Slab 3 years ago.

Tim Slab timslab

Compression Moulding – Condom Carriers

01/10/2016 at 19:16

Hi there

I’ve recently completed a project for university where we were tasked with designing a condom carrier and thought it would be the perfect excuse to play with plastic!

During the process I discovered some things that may come in rather useful when compression moulding with plastic:
-= Wood can be a viable material to create the male part of the mould (provided it’s very smooth)
-= You can greatly improve the cycle time of a compressed part by cooling the metal.
-= …and as long as you’ve got an oven, making small parts is way easier than you would ever think!

The pictures below show my mould and the way in which I was able to cool the mould for much faster cycle times.. I created the female part of the mould with sheet metal, which was the only part that I actually heated. The rest of the mould consisted of a wooden jig (to ensure an even wall thickness), a removable base (exposed the underside of metal and allowed for easy removal of part) and then the male part which was made with MDF.

Attachments:
9 replies
0 subscribers
2 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
01/10/2016 at 19:19

This is the making of the first mould. The nuts serve as a spacer to ensure the male part does not make contact with the female part…
NOTE: I thought I would need to seal the wood so I used a Polyurethane floor coat as I heard it had a very high melting temp.. I was wrong..

Attachments:
warrior
01/10/2016 at 19:25

This is how I was able to cool the metal so that I could make more parts much faster.
The plastic packet was kept in the fridge while waiting for the plastic to heat.
I removed the hot mould from the oven, compressed the two parts together and let sit for a little while.. after which I then removed the base and placed the plastic packet over the metal part.
The water within the plastic packet will ensure that the packet does not melt…

Attachments:
warrior
01/10/2016 at 19:44

The process poster:

Attachments:
warrior
02/10/2016 at 02:35

Love your post @timslab! I never worked with a wooden mold like that, so very interesting to see how that works. I’m going to try it out as well 💪

warrior
10/10/2016 at 18:56

Thanks @davehakkens! I’m also interested to see what you’re able to take from it

new
14/10/2016 at 13:40

Hi Tim, very cool creation! love the wooden mold!

Did you already make the shredder? or did you get the plastic somehow pre-shredded?

Would be interested in speaking more if you have some time to shoot me an email at fei.charleen[at]gmail.com , I am looking for other people in South Africa (prefer Capetown but anywhere SA is cool too!) who have already built/worked with these machines.

Thanks!

Charleen

warrior
16/10/2016 at 13:28

Hey @charlyfei!

I’m still in the process of making the shredder.. all parts are cut and assembled I’m just finding the right motor.
No, I didn’t get the plastic pre-cut.. All I did was take some shears and spent some time cutting it all up by hand ^^

I will be sure to hit you up with an email.

new
24/10/2016 at 12:15

Hey @timslab,

Thanks!

Was wondering if you made the compressor machine? You mentioned ‘oven’ in your post…

warrior
31/10/2016 at 00:02

Hi @charlyfei, I have not made Daves Compression Machine.. I simply used the oven in my house to melt the plastic into the mould.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪