We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Compressor and PET plastic

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Barbara Xu 2 years ago.

Que Nguyen qnguyen198

Compressor and PET plastic

03/01/2017 at 18:06

Hi all,

We have just built a shredder in Hanoi, Vietnam and are about to start building the compressor. We do have some questions before building and would really appreciate if you guys can help us!

1) @davehakkens: how many watts did your oven use? (my handyman wants to know so he can find a similar oven)
2) If I want to use PET to make an object using the compressor, what temperature should I set it at? And do you think how long it will take for the compressor to make a small planter?

Thanks all!

8 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
03/01/2017 at 22:44

hi @qnguyen198 good to hear you made a shredder! Do you have some pictures? 🙂 I’ve built several compressions machines using different watts, mostly around 1800.  You can find the poster with temperatures in the download-kit. However these temperatures are a reference, it depends on your oven & mold what the accurate temperature will be. Best is to do a few test. And just to give you a heads up, PET is a difficult one to start with. PP,PE is much easier. Good luck and make sure to post a few pictures every know and then, love to see that!

starter
09/01/2017 at 16:30

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply! It is very helpful. I will send you some pics soon.

I also read somewhere that PET is difficult to start with but we have to opt for that one cuz it is most abundant here (people don’t drink tap water so they either boil tap water or buy water bottles). But why is PET hard to work with? By the way, what did you use to wash shredded plastic (water or dishwashing liquid)?

helper
10/01/2017 at 10:55

There are some references for melting temps in the download package. PET is hard to work with because it has a slim melting range and burns fairly easily. You might look out for HDPE which is abundant but easier to work with. It has a fairly wide melting range; starts softening up with just a little heat and needs quite a bit to burn.

HDPE is found in milk jugs, laundry detergent bottles, and just about anything that holds bleach. But I also have access to way too much PET to pass up on s̶t̶r̶u̶g̶g̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ working with it.

starter
12/01/2017 at 17:37

@snowpoff good to know! Thanks a lot

helper
04/04/2017 at 22:28

@qnguyen198 Do you have any results with PET so far? I am starting as well and due to too many plastic bottles I wanted to try out PET.

starter
18/04/2018 at 14:14

Read the article and we tried out our Mould with PET BOTTLES … We put the oven on 250 degree air circulation and waited for 50 minutes …
bad result – we can’t get rid of the plastic which is “glued” on the Mould … tomorrow we let it stay longer in the oven – It’s the Bowl Mould which you can download From the KIT.

If anyone has ideas how to clean a Mould, we would appreciate it if you someone can tell us how to clean it easily 😀

And thanks for the informations here so far !
Greetings from China

warrior
18/04/2018 at 14:28

@qingdaolan, an angle grinder with a metal wire disk should be good for big pieces glued, then felt disk to finish the surface. For less plastic stickiness apply some silicone next time (we use high heat car silicone spray).

starter
18/04/2018 at 15:36

Thanks a lot @jegor-m

We will try it out tomorrow and will show you the result here !

Let’s see if I can find that Spray on Taobao 😉

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪