We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Cost of a centre for a Primary School

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year ago.

Timothy Sloman ourplanet

Cost of a centre for a Primary School

04/09/2019 at 14:48

We are an IB school, with Sustainability as a mission of ours as well.

I want to build and use a plastic recycling center here at our school, for our students and our local community.  In Muscat, Oman, recycling is a slow burner, but it is getting better, and I feel we are catalysts.

I have the PTA possibly willing to help fund it, and I am sure I can raise more cash, but I have no idea what the cost will be, and I mean no idea!  Is it $100 for a container, and $5000 for building the necessary tools, and another $1000 per year for upkeep?  Or is it just $1000 for all of it?  I know it can vary, but I need a rough estimate, top and bottom estimates.

We would be a trailblazing community of we pull this off, so any help would be very appreciated.

Attachments:
3 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
new
04/09/2019 at 17:41

Hi,
I don’t know the prices in your area, the closest machine builder I know of is in India, @sharma-sagar. $5000 could be enough to have a decent semi-professional shredder & extrusion combo and an injector. More problematic is that there will be regulations for your context and you will have to communicate this with your provider. In the worst case this can increase quickly up to 8000$ and more (safe design & components, income tax, VAT, shipping, insurance) for the 3 mentioned machines. The compression machine is cheap but requires huge amounts of energy.

warrior
04/09/2019 at 18:12

If your primary school is the typical age 6-12, the machines are not really designed for that age and you will need to work out a safety and operations plan. I think @ppboys has done some planning in this area so maybe you can get some additional input.
It is not clear that the container approach is safe from a fume management point of view, looks like PP is just starting to do some evaluation https://davehakkens.nl/community/forums/topic/v4-fume-extraction-4/ .
None of these are insurmountable, but there is a lot of work to be done to implement a safe workspace at the primary school level.

new
04/09/2019 at 19:49

Hey Stan, I am afraid I just got through safety concerns for the secondary school.
Luckily in Arab countries it’s relative easy to keep the class-room under control if you team up with the oldest or let’s say ‘chef’ but that was from my time in the Emirates, no idea how it is for Oman. But yeah, if that doesn’t work, consider to send the kids to the sport hall every 4 hours, or you have a workshop turned into a sport hall 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪