We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Dealing with contaminated plastic

Butte Metz btmetz

Dealing with contaminated plastic

20/11/2017 at 04:53

I opened the bag of our first batch of shredded plastic we got from a manufacturer of plastic shredders.

The plastic is extremely contaminated with chemicals. Possibly drain cleaner and toilet cleaner.

It was washed 5 times and the odor is so bad it makes me ill. I have added charcoal to it and will dispose of it.

Looks like I need a better batch of plastic to work in the compression oven today.

What are people here using to clean or dispose contaminated plastic?

It makes me disappointed that a vendor of plastic recycling machines would supply contaminated product as a demonstration of his machine output.

Attachments:
2 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
0 likes
sort on date
starter
30/11/2017 at 05:47

Sorry to hear about your inconvenience. But what will happen to those plastic if even you don’t want that? Think twice before you dispose those plastic.

helper
28/11/2017 at 19:47

Interesting. Perhaps during the sorting stage, materials should be grouped according to their contents. ie Food containers are separated from cleaning product containers etc, then each batch can be thoroughly cleaned before going on to be grouped into plastic types and then shredded. That way, items than are too difficult to clean thoroughly are kept separate and don’t soil the rest of the batch.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪