We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Designing your own Precious Plastic Logo

Charlotte charlotteallen

Designing your own Precious Plastic Logo

17/09/2018 at 16:16

Hello everyone, I’m Charlotte and I’m a current Graphic Designer for PP working on V4. Myself and Luiza (also a Graphic Designer) have been asked by Mattia and Dave to create the style guides for Precious Plastic. When setting up your own PP factory, we’ve noticed sometimes the logo’s made steer away from the traditional logo, which we really like but we thought it’d be nice to track these logos and create a tool on the website where you can make, create and build your own logo with a range of tools available, such as type, colour or a flag for example. Would you guys like something like this, is it a good idea or just complicated?? Would love to know your thoughts and suggestions!!

Thanks,
Charlotte and Luiza 🙂

Attachments:
15 replies
6 subscribers
1 saved
9 likes
sort on date
starter
28/09/2018 at 21:28

Great work and I think it’s a great idea! Precious Plastic Lancaster has just created their bespoke logo changing to red as the Lancashire colour and then enlarging the flag to make room for sub-flags that are readable. Perhaps an idea to go off?

I agree that a logo building page would be good to have a bit of standardisation and make it easy for everyone and also that vector graphics would be the way to go.

Attachments:
warrior
17/09/2018 at 17:30

Hi Charlotte and Luiza,

It’s nice to have some guidance on this. I’ve noticed a lot of people copying/re-purposing the logo for their own use (I’ve even made some items for people with versions of the logo).

A web tool would be a help to keep it all looking consistent, which partly I think would be nice to present a consistent image and is a good idea, but also partly I feel it’s a bit too bland and corporate looking, and maybe individuality should be encouraged?

Either way, obviously use of the logo (or versions of it) can’t be enforced or forbidden, so maybe this can be offered as a tool people might like to use, but they can take it or leave it?

Also, what would happen if, say, two different people wanted to be ‘Precious Plastic Monaco’ and both used the tool to design exactly the same logo?

helper
28/09/2018 at 12:31

Few more!

Attachments:
helper
28/09/2018 at 12:29

Thank you everyone for commenting with advice and suggestion, super helpful. Here are a few of the logos I have come up with over the past couple weeks, I’d like to know your thoughts on them, likes, dislikes etc.

Attachments:
warrior
21/09/2018 at 11:33

Nice idea :).. could allow for a homogeneous look among start-ups but with varying flavours. Quick and fun tool so one can get cracking on with the nitty gritty of recycling.

Some ideas: – country flag overlay on the white plastic bag flag?

– room for different text wraps and colours (realpreciousplastic instagram for instance)

– flag pole variations? (palm tree trunk, cactus? flower stems?) Would include a bit more graphical information of the startup. Might be nice having even one different option that may inspire someone to push it a bit further.

– with so much variation it might be good to have one variable that remains constant and ensures the PP ‘brand’ is honored?

dedicated
21/09/2018 at 08:44

I also think it’s a good tool to have for those that need it. I second vector output. Regarding the problem of having the same name in the same country or city, I think it will sort itself out. In startup stage, by talking to people and researching, you will find out if there’s already one with that name out there. And in case there’s 2 with the same name, people will start mixing them up and I think those running the precious plastic workshops will notice whether or not it is necessary to get a different name for differentiation.

starter
20/09/2018 at 13:16

I like the idea!

For a few quick technical notes regarding a web tool:

1. Text/colour changes for any individual parts would be very quick and easy to implement
2. I’d definitely support @metalsnack’s suggestion of going for vector graphics (which could then be exported to jpg at any desired resolution)

3. (or 1+2), Things like ‘flag’ images become a lot more tricky; you would most likely want people to upload photos to form a background image, which then require some additional storage, method to crop/fit nicely within the flag outline and probably won’t be in vector format. It’s still possible, but turns for workload from a few hours to a few days.

helper
18/09/2018 at 19:35

Great idea,

I think it’s good to give some guidance but at the same time should give enough space for people to make it their own. Don’t know how.

So in this case I think that color and flags might help. But at the same time I’m with @andyn and I think it would be difficult to differentiate between two workspaces from the same town. Maybe is about calling the workspaces by the kind of products/services they do instead of the name of the city? Like Precious plastic lamps? Or a combination between that and the flags. But that’s entirely up to the workspace owner.

In any cases I’m sure this tool will help a lot.

starter
18/09/2018 at 09:19

Hey C + L,

I think this is a great idea. This way “custom” logos can be designed within whatever parameters you set in the software. This guarantees a consistent brand identity and adherence to style.

Food for thought
To be genuinely useful though the software should have the capacity to generate a logo at whatever the users size requirements are. If it creates vector PDFs then there’s no problem. But if I knew nothing about file types and resolution and went on to create a 3cm wide JPG from your generator then blew it up to 50cm for my shipping container banner, I would have a crappy result that diminishes the integrity of PP brand.

Would it be possible to have categories for output? eg Web, Printing, Home office etc, with the appropriate file generated. Then, if the user could stipulate the size needed they would always get the right logo for the job.

helper
17/09/2018 at 23:48

great topic , yes we have a lot of difficulty to make our logos and it’s a great opportunity to make it much better with this guide , we guess that this guide will contain some creative tools ,
good luck in your work
and we are looking forward for this wonderful guide 🙂

new
09/08/2019 at 17:06

Hello!
I was wondering if the project came to an end or not because we are planning on building the machines etc. in our university and we were looking for a kick-ass logo to use!
Thanks!
Louis

starter
27/09/2018 at 08:37

Hello Charlotte and Luiza,

We are in the process of setting up 2 Community RE-Invention hubs in Western Australia showcasing the Precious Plastics machines.

We would like permission to use the Precious Plastics logo.
What is the process for the use and access to the logo.

Many thanks,

Douglas Scott
<b>REmida </b><b>The Creative Reuse Center
</b><b>1 Prospect Place WEST PERTH   Western Australia 6003
</b><b>E: [email protected]  </b>

starter
14/09/2019 at 20:30

On the package representing can somehow not fitting, but still packs the flags are and why not just write on the packages your country or flag?

Attachments:
helper
12/09/2019 at 11:07

Hi @plaskot I am more than happy to help you design a logo! Unfortunately, this hasn’t gone ahead yet. But I do have some files which I can share with you.

My personal email is [email protected] . Send me an email and we can start working on this.

Also apologies for the delay in response, I was out of action for a while.

🙂

starter
12/08/2019 at 12:22

I don’t think the developers ever found time to make this (would still love to of course!), but maybe @charlotteallen could the design files be put somewhere so that people can have them as a base (if they’re not already somewhere)?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪