We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Developers needed to upgrade the community

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Siemen Cuypers 2 years ago.

Dave Hakkens davehakkens

Developers needed to upgrade the community

19/05/2016 at 10:46

This community is currently build in WordPress/bbpress software. It works for creating a small forum and has been a great start. And I personally love that everything runs from one platform, keeps it clean. But more and more we realise WordPress isn’t really made for running a community. Mainly because it takes quite some effort to run properly, a lot to figure out and we got quite a few things we wish to improve and streamline. Have a look at this topic Now, we can fully customize it to our needs and make it perfect. However this takes time to figure out and development, something we don’t have.

We’ve also been looking into using software like discourse a lot of people seem to like it. –Honestly I have very little experience with it.

Do you like Discourse, have you got any other community options or want to help out making a better community? We could use some help and insights 🙂

15 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
helper
19/05/2016 at 15:07

Here is another option that maybee worth a look at @davehakkens
https://invisionpower.com

helper
20/05/2016 at 03:58

@davehakkens there is also this one that is free
http://www.simplemachines.org/

& here is a example of a forum that users it
http://forum.librepilot.org/index.php

Keep in mind there is other themes available, the libre site is not very attractive IMO
http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/

Anyway I’m happy to have a play with all 3 & see witch one is maybe best suited to our needs. 🙂

helper
22/05/2016 at 00:34

Discourse is a nice one.

warrior
26/05/2016 at 13:59

Thanks for the suggestions @enviro. They looks nice. However i have to admit i’m a bit triggered by Discourse as they are trying to develop ‘a new way of using forums’ the 21st century way. But i’m not sure if its to weird/different and far ahead for people to work with.

starter
16/06/2016 at 08:16

Hi @davehakkens,

I have a shared hosting server. I would like to donate a hosting account for this community. In my shared hosting there is a software instalation called Softaculous. With Softaculous you can choose one of these forum software:
phpBB
SMF
MyBB
AEF
Vanilla
PunBB
XMB
FluxBB
Phorum
bbPress
FUDforum
ElkArte
miniBB
Beehive
my little forum

But if you insist to use Discourse, it can be installed also, using manualy method. I will help you to install it.

There will be no ads from me or other 3rd party if you use my shared hosting. All just for free for my donation to this community.

warrior
26/06/2016 at 13:34

Hi @dega
Thank yoy very much for the offer, appreciatie that! Well i’d say the most advanced and innovative platform these days is discourse. But I would like to give it a try first, see what is possible how the backend works, how much we can customize etc. My knowledge is limited when it comes to development and severs. As a start it would be really great to install/host it on your sever to try it out. Let me know if we can make that happen!

starter
25/07/2016 at 03:51

Hey Dave.
Why don’t u just use other very good communication apps that can be used like a forum? Slack is very helpful to us, and Loomio also looks very promising.

warrior
25/07/2016 at 09:43

We use Slack internally and like it! Never tried to set it up public. Doesn’t that end up having a massive amount of notifications?

starter
28/07/2016 at 10:32

@davehakkens That could be a downside. But if you make your topics consistantly (e.g. Machinedevelopment_Exruder) everybody can fit in a group he wants. I like the fact that you can have personal conversations, and have great ways to implement google documents and files that are fixed in Slack. Maybe we can just have it a try?
BTW, we from Faro (Page Faro) are really going deep into the machines. We already visited Delft university to check out your machines. Now we have the luck to be able to present the project at a huge festival in Limburg (Pukkelpop). Now we are rushing to build the machines, but we fear we won’t totally succeed. Would there be a way of hiring or lending the machiens of Delft for some days? Or could you bring us in contact of other builders in Belgium/Netherlands.France?
Thanks in advance! PS: are there topics about a business plan? We are working on this!

starter
21/08/2016 at 00:42

Are you looking for something that is built custom for you? Like in Core php and CodeIgniter? Making it right from scratch does take some time, but its scalable and without limitations that wordpress or other readymade solutions provide. If you are willing to go for core-php based solution, we can surely help you out.

new
07/09/2016 at 12:46

Hi Dave,

BBPress is just for forums with WordPress, BuddyPress is more to animate online communities and include BBPress too.

BuddyPress

Slack is very populat too, now. It’s interesting to discuss directly with the community members who are online.

warrior
17/09/2016 at 02:12

Thanks for the input everyone. Currently working on a big update for the community, stay tuned!

helper
28/02/2017 at 18:06

@davehakkens How hard would it to get added to the slack channel? I’ve contributed a shredder and a business plan so far. I would love to be able to chat

warrior
01/03/2017 at 00:43

We use Slack mainly for very specific task. For instance web developers have a channel to code the map. Writers to write stories of the community etc. Business not yet (on the to-do list for later) Do you have a specific thing you want to help out with? if so, happy to invite you there.

dedicated
01/03/2017 at 13:29

@davehakkens
I understand the idea of building the forum yourself to stay independent and having everything custom the way you want it but when it comes to functionality I believe Discourse might be a better idea. It would put less time and effort in maintaining and upgrading the forum which can be used in better ways that benefits the projects/community. I’ve used Discourse a lot over the last year and a half for the Rhino forum and never had any issues with it. Haven’t noticed any spammers either which seem to be a mayor problem currently here.
In Discourse you can also bookmark topics, send direct messages, quote other people, quote to others topics, get previews of how your post will look like, … I’m not sure if it’s a paying service though, and if not how Discourse gets their income.

Anyway, I realize I’m also a bit late with my arguments since a lot of effort went into the forums since the start of this topic… And even with the current functionality I’ll still be hanging around here.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Developers needed to upgrade the community’ is closed to new replies.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪