We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Developing icosa.haus at Project Kamp

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Daan 3 years ago.

Daan vandijk

Developing icosa.haus at Project Kamp

25/05/2018 at 15:50

Hi Dave and everybody here,

I am going to jump in right where I think it makes most sense; what it is I can immediately offer to Project Kamp. The short version; an open source dwelling structure that I have been working on since 2015.

The slightly longer; the design of icosa.haus has known many digital iterations and some physical versions and the ‘get a piece of land’ conundrum you have taken upon yourself is where I am currently struggling the most.

The concept initially started as a reaction to the WikiHouse project that was all the rage a few years ago. Although I really liked the idea of releasing an open source building online for everybody to download, building it out of expensive, wasteful plywood with extremely expensive and hard to move CNC routers was what annoyed me about it.

At the same time the Science Gallery in Dublin had an active open call called ‘Home’ so it got me thinking; could I build a sort of hybrid between a product and a building? The product would be a set of instructions and a limited amount of dedicated, shippable objects and elements that would allow anyone to build the structure with otherwise locally available materials.
I imagined a structure that could be mounted or places anywhere; rooftops, forests, campsites, backyards etc. and to remain as flexible as possible I would need the smalles footprint possible. This lead to a design that derives from a tilted icosahedron; a familiar shape with excellent untapped architectural potential.
Science Gallery was interested and enthusiastic about the design but didn’t have a space big enough to build one so in the following years I made 1:1 prototypes of various parts and elements and tested different materials. I claimed the website icosa.haus (I cosa meaning both The Thing in Italian and greek for 20 as in icosahedron) and I kept iterating, sketching and thinking of what it could be.

I am now at a point where I would just really want to build at least one but preferably three or five since they perfectly interlock to form larger structures.
The entire structure is build using metal joints that hold together all kinds of material to form the structure; all kinds of sizes of wooden beams, young pine trees, bamboo, aluminum scrap etc.
Various kinds of waterproofing and insulation can be realized based on the environment that it is in. It could feature 30cm of wool insulation in the Arctic, a cloth tent in Northern Africa or a layer of pine shingles in Scandinavia.

So what I’m trying to say is; I think your Project Kamp and my icosa.haus overlap in the underlying analysis of global problems and I am wondering if you would like to meet in person an talk over the design, idea Project Kamp and possibilities over a cup of coffee in the spirit of being an offline project :-
I am also very curious to find out what others in the forum think of the idea, will post more images somewhere later.

Thanks and let’s keep in touch,

Daan

Attachments:
2 replies
2 subscribers
0 saved
hero
25/05/2018 at 19:39

So, what’s the advantage of this icosahedron shaped house over a regular square construction or wood cabin? I fail to see the benefits and doesn’t really look like a place I would like to live, but that’s just my personal opinion.

I tried checking for more info on the website but all I could find was a picture of a icosahedron.

starter
25/05/2018 at 23:29

Hi Olivier, thanks for the question.

I will explain more about the project somewhere this week, I forgot I took the website down as well. The project is not just about how to live remotely, off the grid or in a small space since there are plenty solutions that are ready and usable. I approached it as if I had never seen a house before; what if you had a blank slate and the tools of today at your disposal? My starting point was a list of specifications/parameters and the design followed from that list. It has the combined characteristics of a yurt, a tree house and a cabin and is in and of itself a blank slate for people to develop further.

Ok, stay tuned for the following post and again; thanks for the question!

Daan

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪