We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Electric Consumption -Off Grid?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Yonatan 2 years ago.

Amanda Pagniello magsdarling

Electric Consumption -Off Grid?

23/04/2018 at 01:41

Hi there! I recently ran into a lovely woman with a shipping container and am pitching the idea of opening a makers lab in it. But my intention is to do it off grid. So my questions to you:

How much electricity on average do you consume on a full work day in your precious plastic work space?

Do you have a completely off grid space? If so what did it take?

If no one has an off grid space, is anyone willing to hook up a meter to do measure the average use during a week of on and off electric use? I would like to find out how much solar power I would need to fully supply a work space!

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
4 subscribers
0 saved
2 likes
sort on most likes
starter
17/05/2018 at 16:17

Bumping this post up. Surprised there’s no answer to this already.

I would also like to know how much power these machines (all four of them) consume.

Of course, there’s minimal and maximal consumption, both are relevant, but if that’s not available, the average would have to do.

warrior
17/05/2018 at 17:13

Hey people,
It is hard for us to tell you a precise number as it is within the philosophy of Precious Plastic to allow people to build machines differently depending on what they need and where they live. So it makes little sense to say this is how much it consumes as you will probably build it differently, with different motors, different heating elements, different room temperature, different operating variables etc..

Sorry to be a party pooper in this case 🎉💩

starter
17/05/2018 at 17:48

I think this would be a great idea to be able to do an off the grid workspace! I’d love to hear what people say about this. And I think even though all the machines are different, if multiple people in different shops gave their average numbers, it would at least give a better picture for possible energy consumption.

starter
17/05/2018 at 18:14

mattia-io

I completely understand, however, as frankierecycles said, if everyone would chip in their own estimation, we’d get a decent average.

I’m aware there are many types of machine and so the answer varies.
Even a single machine, let’s consider the shredder, has its own different electricity consumption, depending what the material and size of plastic it is shredding.

We’d like to know the total consumption per day?

I’m trying to push recycling through precious plastic machines into the local industrial designing school. When I told them about the machines they asked me how much electricity they require. Now, do you see why this matters to me?

warrior
18/05/2018 at 21:29

Looking back at this topic thread, it can be seen that the issue of “what electricity consumption?” is further complicated by motor peak start-up current – which can be considerable.  The solution chosen there was to instead use an internal combustion engine for running the shredder.  If it was run on biodiesel, then it could be classed as indirect solar power 😉

For an off-grid workshop – direct mechanical power could be a sensible solution. After all, there is a long tradition of running small agricultural machines using stationary engines – and the requirements of a small plastic shredder are probably similar to some small farm scale crop processing machines.

new
01/06/2018 at 18:48

there was a time they used steam, they powered entire workshops with that. I’m looking at traditional belt driven mechanics since quite a while. I’ve built my self a ring roller to build wheels, just to see how far it can go for shredding but had no time yet, will let you know.

if you are a near stronger river, you could also use classic mill wheels (needs diameters up to 5m). these wheels have pockets and gets filled with water, must be an impressive torque….

steam powered shops: https://www.pinterest.es/pin/478929741607080679/?lp=true

g

hero
02/06/2018 at 08:30

I would say 25kwh to 30kwh is enough to run all machines for an entire day and have some leftover for lighting and other electronic devices. As others said, is difficult to give you an accurate response because everyone makes their machines using different motors, different heating elements, etc…

starter
02/06/2018 at 09:58

@xxxolivierxxx
Thank you very much =) truly.

Hopefully, with that knowledge, I’ll be able to induce the local school to use it.

Have a wonderful day.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪