We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

English Discord

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 months ago.

Ennis Massey microtransactions

English Discord

21/05/2019 at 04:16

I think an English Discord would be a good idea. The forums here aren’t too active, and having immediate contact with those active in the community would be valuable. If others think this is a good idea, I’d be happy to set it up to some extent, although I’m somewhat busy, so I’d leave Admin/Moderation up to others

13 replies
1 subscribers
0 saved
1 likes
sort on most likes

In reply to: English Discord

warrior
21/05/2019 at 09:10

The forum is mostly a meeting place, with a lot of discussions taking place elsewhere (like slack) and local people actually working and meeting offline.

There are also a lot of people just ‘reading’ the forums and keeping quiete, as too much discussion would actually drown out the useful stuff, and most questions only need to answered once.

The PP-team is also working on a follow-up to this forum ( https://www.onearmy.world ) to solve this problem.

Just think of the Forum as a library, quiete, but filled with loads of valuable information and a couple of librarians that could help you with your questions…

new
21/05/2019 at 09:21

as far i know there are no updates on the forum software per-se any time soon; i think if we’re lucky we have a copy of ‘instructables.com’ in october but that’s it; and it’s going to be same rigid as everything til now. so there is no wiki, user pages user directories, events,…, global directory or anything actual useful for us.

starter
22/05/2019 at 00:27

I have to agree with @pporg here. The forum is slow, somewhat buggy and not great at letting you know when people have replied to your posts. As well as that, I feel Discord would provide more immediate feedback than a forum would, allowing people to ask smaller questions and get quick replies. I’ve had numerous posts on here that have garnered no evident attention, and have no other avenues to pursue them on, since PP is rather unique among communities

starter
22/05/2019 at 00:43

Also, in regards to local activity, I live in Dunedin, New Zealand. There are 3 people nearby that I have already reached out to, but certainly no organised movement within the country. I feel this is likely the case for a lot of people. I’m looking to set up a profitable community recycling effort and perhaps in future increase scale, by using recycled plastic to create basic, durable and long-lived items such as stools, tiles and crates.

new
22/05/2019 at 01:08

@microtransactions, did you check the revenue models of ‘Opensource Ecology’, it’s lengthy video but it represents still the best I’ve seen so far. It may take some time (years) to build the foundation (machines) to create a viable activity with return of investment but yet, it’s honest (no fuzzy donation stuff) and you grow on the go, healthy and honest. I started with little to no budget 3 years ago and I managed to have now 2 and soon a third team in 3 different locations; more or less pretty good friends who can make now some extra $$ on the side; we’re also happy to serve and more and more the local communities, schools, startups and now even the universities with specials. It started all with a f*** 3d printer which I never got working well because i wanted quickly to cut wood but realized I need a CNC which cuts Alumium at least (for the sake of more just), and in the 5 iteration it finally cut metal, quickly followed by a lathe which was a total game changer and opened the door to many neat side jobs, financing the rest of the shop 🙂
there are some senior folks on youtube saying, budget isn’t your problem!  Anyhow, I’d consider to bid on the plastic hype train and start a campaign (radio, small papers), it doesn’t take much, just a hell of time. a lot of bla bla but I hope you get the point, don’t wait, just start getting a shed (with bar) or something.

starter
22/05/2019 at 01:12

Yup, I’m in a position to get funding to assist in initial financing, but I’m also financing what I can out of my own pocket. I’ve already invested in an extruder, the shredder parts and some other machinery for drying plastic with. I’ll make sure to look into what you recommended though

warrior
22/05/2019 at 09:18

@microtransactions I have the good fortune to live in Eindhoven (the Netherlands), which also gives me access to see what the V4 community is doing and I’ve kinda ‘adopted’ this forum, because all you say is true.

Using Discord would however not change this.

The V4 team is currently in a state of ‘overwhelm’ in which they had to choose between further developing the machines (and software) or full on engaging the community.

You can either full time ‘appologies’ for the machines not being optimal/foolproof yet OR do something about it.

Or let me put it in a Catch-22:

question: Why aren’t you fixing the machines?

answer: Because we are constantly answering your questions about it!

No excuse, but an unfortunate reality.

This is however where the community could step in.

There are a lot of things wrong with the current forum, some of which will be ‘fixed’ by the OneArmy.world software being developed, a lot of stuff that won’t be fixed, but could and should be adopted by “the community” itself, as it is outside of the OneArmy/PP scope.

And yes, this almost makes the current forum ‘abandonware’, though I (as a grower) prefer to see it as a seed that has outgrown its usefulness once the first true leafs have developed.

And this is also where you come in @microtransactions.

There was a deafening silence, but whispers are staring up again.

starter
23/05/2019 at 01:39

I understand that side of things, but I can’t help but disagree when you say that Discord would make no difference. Regardless of what happens in regards to the forum software, it’s unlikely a chat will be implemented. I’m a software developer personally, but am too busy to work on the forum software, whatever that may be.

warrior
23/05/2019 at 07:50

@microtransactions

I agree, but it would be like listing a telephone number you can call but nobody answering.

This might however be solved if a chat function was implemented per Topic(!) or in other words, when you started the “English Discord” topic, the implemented ‘chat’ function would connect to you, not to the community in general.

So basically a way to connect directly with members (like e.g. slack does).

This would also scale better.

And to be honnest, the current forum already is kind of a slow ‘chat’ anyway, with 80% of the replies being (public) personal messages…

warrior
23/05/2019 at 08:16

i can only reach out with my personal experience 😀
I created a discord platform for the french community(20-30regular people, and overall 200+french people joined) a bit more than a year ago; the aim of it being mainly to help people group up, translation work, grouped orders (for laser kit) and local shares of experience

The platform the guys from the V4 is working on will implement a lot of “social” features. The french discord platform will shut down as soon as the said platform is on live 😀

cheers !

warrior
23/05/2019 at 08:23

@imuh

Thank you, you indeed illustrate my point: Member level chat outside of the general community (per topic) should work.

Start a discord/topic: Be it’s moderator!

new
23/05/2019 at 11:18

@imuh, i am afraid there is no replacement in v4 for your discord. you can download and run v4 here, or check the preview here. We’re also in the dark yet what to take; for collaborators, partners and investors we use ‘slack’ and for clients and users we use email and a neat wordpress setup. There is also another ready-to-use platform mentioned here; basically a decentralised and flat platform  with upstream features, based on a exorbitant tweaked rocketchat setup. so we’re pretty much on our own for quite a while when it comes to a machine/component – catalogue, networking, global & local calendars/address books and more worrying to me:  being able to have user translations and submissions into the PP portfolio.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.