We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Everthing I need to know about Filament Extruder

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Olivier 3 years ago.

Sagar Sharma sharma-sagar

Everthing I need to know about Filament Extruder

29/05/2016 at 10:56

hello awesome people! I recently was looking for business ideas and came across Dave’s extruder. I’m now thinking of setting up a small business of selling 3D Printer Filament. Before I start building the machine tell me everthing I need to know about 3D printer filament and the extruder. Every small detail counts so just go for it. Also is there any better machine than that of Dave’s? If yes, why? Can I make market standard filament without the added mods, i mean just using the extruder? Please reply if you know anything about 3D Filament business

11 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
warrior
04/06/2016 at 16:13

If you want to know more about our filament setup. Have a look at this topic

Would love to learn more about others ones as well!

helper
06/06/2016 at 17:51

Hi Sagar

First of all you need do know what material you will use (ABS, PLA, etc.). Usually they come in 2 diameters 1,75 and 3mm. To do it with precision you will need a cooling process and some mechanical thing to pull the material with variable velocity, this will determinate the diameter

warrior
11/06/2016 at 18:17

Thanks @davehakkens and @marcelozp for the info.

hey @marcelozp is possible to use Filament width sensor by Flipper on Thingiverse with Dave’s extruder? I mean Dave extruder has no electonic parts (except for PID and all). Will the sensor be able to alter the feed in the hopper if the diameter is not as expected? Also will a CPU fan be adequate to cool the filament placing in right after the extruder like in Noztek extruder, shown in picture below

Attachments:
helper
13/06/2016 at 20:08

hi @sharma-sagar
I don’t know really how this sensor works but it’s probable that the answer is yes. And is easier to use water to cool the polymer.

starter
30/06/2016 at 15:45

Hi @marcerlozp

won’t water turn the polymer brittle?

helper
01/07/2016 at 19:37

@novaqui

no. water will prevent the polymer to crystallize. Almost ever injected parts was cooled down very fast.
If you need more help, i’ve done a little introduction about polymers.

hero
25/08/2016 at 20:52

I recommend the water cooling method only for plastics that are not hygroscopics, otherwise you will ruin your filament

warrior
26/08/2016 at 13:47

Hey @xxxolivierxxx I think PLA falls under that category, doesn’t it?

warrior
26/08/2016 at 13:51

also @xxxolivierxxx i have a question of which i can’t find a definitive answer, would you care to help?

with Dave’s Extruder how much filament can i extrude per hour? ( given i have a strong enough motor)

hero
26/08/2016 at 18:37

@sharma-sagar Yes, PLA is hygroscopic

The amount of filament per hour depends on the type of plastic you are melting. The lower melting point, the faster you can extrude the filament.

With Dave’s extruder, you might be able to extrude 1kg of filament per hour if the plastic has a low melting point (pla). For ABS, PET or filaments with a high melting point, extruding takes longer because you have to reduce the extruding speed of the motor.

Extruding speed depends on several factors: Plastic melting temperature, motor revolutions (extruding speed), size of the output nozzle, temperature of your heating element and how fast can it get to the desired temperature.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪