We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Extruder Development V4

This topic contains 34 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  PlasticHub 3 days ago.

Nate Chandler cymek

Extruder Development V4

30/10/2018 at 00:51

Hello Plastic Precious Community!

My name is Nate Chandler, I will be working for PP V4 in Eindhoven until January. My teammate in this effort is Dutch engineer – @peter-bas.

We are working to continue the development of the extrusion machine;
building on the research that the rest of the community has already contributed.

Our material research will be populated on this spreadsheet, which is similar to mathijsstroober’s beam research.

The development plan is going to hit different points, some highlights:

Plastic Preparation – sieve granule size, how will this affect our material output.

Material Testing – MFI (Melt flow index), Tensile testing, HDT / Vicat (Thermo/mechanical properties), and compression capacity.

Dies / Molds – 25MM Square tubing, 25MM pipe, 50MM square tubing,
channel / unistrut, Brick 100x100x300mm, and experimenting with large injection molds. Currently we are using a 15mm NPT pipe fitting for beam extrusion.

–   Nozzle Size – 1mm – 8mm, This will be upgraded to a custom milled part(s).
A >1mm tri hole for fabric / thread(?)
Square nozzle, made by modified phillips(cross-head) bolt.

Performance Monitoring – Adding pressure / heat sensors, this should give us a better perspective on what our speed / heat settings are producing.

Motor – Replacing the current 2.2Kw Motor for a 3Kw motor with higher RPM potential.

Continuous Beam Extrusion Water cooling jacket R+D.

Ergonomics – Variable speed control through the use of a TIG welding pedal / Sewing pedal setup. Temperature controller placement.

These additions / upgrades are directed towards more efficient material output, and ease of machine use for product design.

An area I am particularly interested in are the problems our community is facing when it comes to constructing the extrusion machine. I am eager to hear / field some questions.

Stay tuned!

34 replies
14 subscribers
8 saved
9 likes
sort on most likes
warrior
15/05/2019 at 18:57

Thank you for posting the datasheet example. How are you measuring the melt temperature and pressure?

starter
15/05/2019 at 21:41

hard to say without seeing the drawings or some fotos, in a way we can determine this tools and operations are really needed. i tend now after dozens of machines to avoid manual machining at all, just assembly of outsourced parts. regarding a v4 extruder I cant find any other way than buying just an industrial casting for the screw mount / thrust bearing / motor mount, these are relative cheap compared to trying this in a metal shop, resulting in way less at the end. 30 mm diameter, then we are at 3-5 Kw, I guess. 3-5 Kw is the standard contract limit of households, after 10 Kw you need a license/permission from the authorities btw.

starter
15/05/2019 at 22:08

regarding the hopper mount; it would be great to have a standardized way so industrial hoppers/mixers can be mount (circular flange). these are quite cheap; i found them on second hand trades/auctions for about 100 – 300 euros just 🙂 typically a hopper has also an auger like feed control; ensuring max. control over quality ..
g

helper
15/07/2019 at 10:53

@timslab, any news about the v4 screw? We just started today the v3 screw making documentation and postponed the v4 screw documentary for the end of the week.
thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.