Extruder Development V4
Hello Plastic Precious Community!
My name is Nate Chandler, I will be working for PP V4 in Eindhoven until January. My teammate in this effort is Dutch engineer – @peter-bas.
We are working to continue the development of the extrusion machine;
building on the research that the rest of the community has already contributed.
The development plan is going to hit different points, some highlights:
– Plastic Preparation – sieve granule size, how will this affect our material output.
– Material Testing – MFI (Melt flow index), Tensile testing, HDT / Vicat (Thermo/mechanical properties), and compression capacity.
– Dies / Molds – 25MM Square tubing, 25MM pipe, 50MM square tubing,
channel / unistrut, Brick 100x100x300mm, and experimenting with large injection molds. Currently we are using a 15mm NPT pipe fitting for beam extrusion.
– Nozzle Size – 1mm – 8mm, This will be upgraded to a custom milled part(s).
A >1mm tri hole for fabric / thread(?)
Square nozzle, made by modified phillips(cross-head) bolt.
– Performance Monitoring – Adding pressure / heat sensors, this should give us a better perspective on what our speed / heat settings are producing.
– Motor – Replacing the current 2.2Kw Motor for a 3Kw motor with higher RPM potential.
– Continuous Beam Extrusion Water cooling jacket R+D.
– Ergonomics – Variable speed control through the use of a TIG welding pedal / Sewing pedal setup. Temperature controller placement.
These additions / upgrades are directed towards more efficient material output, and ease of machine use for product design.
An area I am particularly interested in are the problems our community is facing when it comes to constructing the extrusion machine. I am eager to hear / field some questions.
Thank you for posting the datasheet example. How are you measuring the melt temperature and pressure?
hard to say without seeing the drawings or some fotos, in a way we can determine this tools and operations are really needed. i tend now after dozens of machines to avoid manual machining at all, just assembly of outsourced parts. regarding a v4 extruder I cant find any other way than buying just an industrial casting for the screw mount / thrust bearing / motor mount, these are relative cheap compared to trying this in a metal shop, resulting in way less at the end. 30 mm diameter, then we are at 3-5 Kw, I guess. 3-5 Kw is the standard contract limit of households, after 10 Kw you need a license/permission from the authorities btw.
regarding the hopper mount; it would be great to have a standardized way so industrial hoppers/mixers can be mount (circular flange). these are quite cheap; i found them on second hand trades/auctions for about 100 – 300 euros just 🙂 typically a hopper has also an auger like feed control; ensuring max. control over quality ..
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.