We've just launched our map. Add yourself by clicking here!

close

Extrusion Machine Capacity

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Hakkens 3 years ago.

Sagar Sharma sharma-sagar

Extrusion Machine Capacity

21/06/2016 at 13:10

What is the extrusion capacity of Dave’s Extruder? How much PLA or ABS filament can it make in an hour? Also if somebody has actually made this machine and is using to make 3d printer filament and is interested in answering few of my questions please leave your email id below or contact me at [email protected]

4 replies
0 subscribers
0 saved
starter
22/06/2016 at 23:24

I’ve not used it to make 3d printer filament (yet) but I have got one built, almost completely from scraps I had round the house. I only needed to get the motor (I had a large wood bit that had gone blunt…)

My design is slightly different, because I’ve used 15mm copper pipe as my barrel, and so just use a plumbing blank plate with a whole drilled in as my die.

as for capacity, that depends how big a hopper you put on it 😉
In all seriousness, the mm/h rate really depends on your motor. A faster motor, and slightly higher temperature settings will extrude more than a slower motor but at lower temperature (I think I’ve got that the right way round, but dont quote me, I use a single speed motor so cant test it). Mine is pretty good, with a windscreen wiper motor I get about 1kg an hour. Obviously the size of the filament (1.75mm or 3mm) make a difrence for how long it is.

warrior
23/06/2016 at 08:30

Thanks @dan3008
What are the specifications of your motor?
New augers have a sharp tip, does it need to be scraped off?
Would you mind emailing me?

starter
23/06/2016 at 14:54

@sharma-sagar I couldnt tell you the specifics on my motor 🙁 It was just an old windscreen wiper motor I picked up from a scrap car dealer.

The sharpness/bluntness of the auger doesnt matter, but you may want to trim it down length ways to fit your pipe. To be honest, Mine stops about 1/2 inch short of the end of the barrel, give or take a bit. This allows me to fit a breaker plate before the nozzel, and a small chamber where the plastic finishes melting before being extruded… Obviously this leads to a small amount of lost/waste plastic, but it fits my needs.
I built mine based partly on the plans here, partly on the RWG research one, Ianmcmill’s one and my own ideas.

I’ll email you later to discuss further. I will see what I can do to help 🙂

warrior
02/07/2016 at 15:58

We actually never measured that, or at least have never run it at full capacity. But like what @dan3008 says, there is a lot of tweaking and speeding up you can do. Difficulty is to keep everything running smoothly.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support our projects on Patreon so we can keep developing 💪